"Abit IT7 help" or "I don't want to spend more $"

I don't want to spend any more money.

I bought an Abit IT7 motherboard last year with an Intel Pentium 4 processor. It was legacy free, which was great, until the USB ports stopped working. This meant no more keyboard. In fact, a PCI card with USB ports wouldn't work.

To fix my problem, I bought an Abit IT7 Max 2 as a replacement. Now, however, I have new problems. Anything that is sufficiently memory intensive will freeze up the computer, including installing Mandrake or Gentoo. I can boot from a LiveCD, but if I browse the Internet, for instance, without limiting my disk cache (which is stored in memory with a LiveCD), the machine freezes. If I limit it to, say, 10 megs, it works without incident.

At that point, I ran Memtest86, and I was getting memory errors. I assumed this was a memory problem. So, I bought a new stick of 2700 memory (from a different vendor), stuck it in instead of the old one, and I still have the same system freezes and get the same memory errors on Memtest86.

Do I have:
1) A bad motherboard
2) Bad Memory (again)
3) A bad processor
4) 1 & 2 but not 3
5) 1 & 3 but not 2
6) 2 & 3 but not 1
or
7) 1, 2, and 3?
5 answers Last reply
More about abit help spend
  1. At that point, I ran Memtest86, and I was getting memory errors. I assumed this was a memory problem.
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'
    NONE OF THE ABOVE!
    This is a long shot, but a prolonged sequence of little-bitty memory errors has been known to render a hard-drive completely unstable. I would try completely wiping the drive and re-formatting and then stick in the new memory. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine, but my next guess would be #3.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
  2. Aw, stupid me. Make sure you check out your power supply first. A weak or dying power supply could cause a lot of the same problems.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
  3. Thanks for the advice!
    I've tried formatting my hard drive, but no improvement; after formatting, OS installation programs freeze when they have something large to unpack.

Also, my power supply is only a few months old.

I guess I'll have to try a new processor.
  4. just for the future reference: there is not such thing as "dying" power supply, it is either working or not working.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
  5. from what I've seing it sounds like clock settings are wrong somewhere

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Memory