Your question

"Abit IT7 help" or "I don't want to spend more $"

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Memory
Last response: in Motherboards
May 15, 2004 12:57:19 AM

I don't want to spend any more money.

I bought an Abit IT7 motherboard last year with an Intel Pentium 4 processor. It was legacy free, which was great, until the USB ports stopped working. This meant no more keyboard. In fact, a PCI card with USB ports wouldn't work.

To fix my problem, I bought an Abit IT7 Max 2 as a replacement. Now, however, I have new problems. Anything that is sufficiently memory intensive will freeze up the computer, including installing Mandrake or Gentoo. I can boot from a LiveCD, but if I browse the Internet, for instance, without limiting my disk cache (which is stored in memory with a LiveCD), the machine freezes. If I limit it to, say, 10 megs, it works without incident.

At that point, I ran Memtest86, and I was getting memory errors. I assumed this was a memory problem. So, I bought a new stick of 2700 memory (from a different vendor), stuck it in instead of the old one, and I still have the same system freezes and get the same memory errors on Memtest86.

Do I have:
1) A bad motherboard
2) Bad Memory (again)
3) A bad processor
4) 1 & 2 but not 3
5) 1 & 3 but not 2
6) 2 & 3 but not 1
or
7) 1, 2, and 3?

More about : abit it7 spend

May 15, 2004 2:34:58 AM

At that point, I ran Memtest86, and I was getting memory errors. I assumed this was a memory problem.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'
NONE OF THE ABOVE!
This is a long shot, but a prolonged sequence of little-bitty memory errors has been known to render a hard-drive completely unstable. I would try completely wiping the drive and re-formatting and then stick in the new memory. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine, but my next guess would be #3.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
May 15, 2004 2:39:02 AM

Aw, stupid me. Make sure you check out your power supply first. A weak or dying power supply could cause a lot of the same problems.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
Related resources
May 16, 2004 3:19:42 PM

Thanks for the advice!
I've tried formatting my hard drive, but no improvement; after formatting, OS installation programs freeze when they have something large to unpack.

Also, my power supply is only a few months old.

I guess I'll have to try a new processor.
May 16, 2004 7:51:34 PM

just for the future reference: there is not such thing as "dying" power supply, it is either working or not working.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
May 16, 2004 7:52:47 PM

from what I've seing it sounds like clock settings are wrong somewhere

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
!