I've been ripped off!

I started a game "Um 4 Shako". and a sorc comes in to trade. In the
trade window we both place our items. He/she asks for another item
along with the Um. Tired of hunting for a SHako, go to my stash, come
back, start a new trade window and add a Crown of Thieves. She placed
the Shako in the trade window. I placed my cursor over her item and it
was indeed a Shako. We trade, and I see I'm left with a gemmed cap
with a perfect emerald in it. The bastard drop a Coif of Glory and
leaves.

What trick was this? It seemed like a perfectly good Shako to me, and
now I'm out an Um.

Kevin (previously known as Guy Smiley)

Kevin <email@email.com> kirjoitti:

> I started a game "Um 4 Shako". and a sorc comes in to trade. In the

Is this ladder or non-ladder? On ladder, it's still far, far too early
to offer Um for shako. On Europe SCL, the price right now still seems
to be about Ist, that is, 3-4 Ums (and you better be prepared to add
some if it's not a bad one, and offer lots of Ists if it's a perfect
one), although I have a feeling that it's about to be commonly valued
at Mal very soon.

> trade window we both place our items. He/she asks for another item
> along with the Um. Tired of hunting for a SHako, go to my stash, come
> back, start a new trade window and add a Crown of Thieves. She placed
> the Shako in the trade window. I placed my cursor over her item and it
> was indeed a Shako. We trade, and I see I'm left with a gemmed cap
> with a perfect emerald in it. The bastard drop a Coif of Glory and
> leaves.
>
> What trick was this? It seemed like a perfectly good Shako to me, and
> now I'm out an Um.

The shako switch is a *very* old trick: you put up a shako on the
trade window, then come up with some excuse to open a new trade window
(like asking the other player for something extra) and, in the new
window, put up an emeralded cap, hoping that the other guy is fooled
by the color and doesn't recheck the item before pushing the trade
button. The trick is such common knowledge that I've even gotten "lol
scammer" and an immediate "X has left the game" when attempting to
trade away a shako while honestly having my inventory full (another
common fake reason to put up another trade window used by scammers).

Are you *sure* that you checked again that it's a shako before pushing
the button and that the sorc hadn't moved it in the trade window (or
taken it out and put back again) between the time when you checked the
item and OKed the trade? Because it's almost certainly that and not
some new trade hack, given how common the emeralded cap trick is.

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz> wrote

>Jaakko Raipala wrote:
>> Kevin <email@email.com> kirjoitti:
>>
>>> I started a game "Um 4 Shako". and a sorc comes in to trade. In the
>>
>> Is this ladder or non-ladder? On ladder, it's still far, far too early
>> to offer Um for shako. On Europe SCL, the price right now still seems
>> to be about Ist, that is, 3-4 Ums (and you better be prepared to add
>> some if it's not a bad one, and offer lots of Ists if it's a perfect
>> one), although I have a feeling that it's about to be commonly valued
>> at Mal very soon.
>>
>>> trade window we both place our items. He/she asks for another item
>>> along with the Um. Tired of hunting for a SHako, go to my stash, come
>>> back, start a new trade window and add a Crown of Thieves. She
>>> placed the Shako in the trade window. I placed my cursor over her
>>> item and it was indeed a Shako. We trade, and I see I'm left with a
>>> gemmed cap with a perfect emerald in it. The bastard drop a Coif of
>>> Glory and leaves.
>>>
>>> What trick was this? It seemed like a perfectly good Shako to me, and
>>> now I'm out an Um.
>>
>> The shako switch is a *very* old trick: you put up a shako on the
>> trade window, then come up with some excuse to open a new trade window
>> (like asking the other player for something extra) and, in the new
>> window, put up an emeralded cap, hoping that the other guy is fooled
>> by the color and doesn't recheck the item before pushing the trade
>> button. The trick is such common knowledge that I've even gotten "lol
>> scammer" and an immediate "X has left the game" when attempting to
>> trade away a shako while honestly having my inventory full (another
>> common fake reason to put up another trade window used by scammers).
>>
>> Are you *sure* that you checked again that it's a shako before pushing
>> the button and that the sorc hadn't moved it in the trade window (or
>> taken it out and put back again) between the time when you checked the
>> item and OKed the trade? Because it's almost certainly that and not
>> some new trade hack, given how common the emeralded cap trick is.
>
>Sorry to hear about that Kevin. I hope Jaakko's explaination is correct or
>we could all be in trouble with every trade......

Don't forget about Rattlecage and Tal Rasha's armor. Both are purple and a
laqurated Plate (Tal's armor) is that same as an upped (possibly twice)
Rattlecage.
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

On 12 Sep 2005 22:18:10 GMT, Jaakko Raipala <raipala@pcu.helsinki.fi>
wrote:

>Kevin <email@email.com> kirjoitti:
>
>> I started a game "Um 4 Shako". and a sorc comes in to trade. In the
>
>Is this ladder or non-ladder? On ladder, it's still far, far too early
>to offer Um for shako. On Europe SCL, the price right now still seems
>to be about Ist, that is, 3-4 Ums (and you better be prepared to add
>some if it's not a bad one, and offer lots of Ists if it's a perfect
>one), although I have a feeling that it's about to be commonly valued
>at Mal very soon.
>
>> trade window we both place our items. He/she asks for another item
>> along with the Um. Tired of hunting for a SHako, go to my stash, come
>> back, start a new trade window and add a Crown of Thieves. She placed
>> the Shako in the trade window. I placed my cursor over her item and it
>> was indeed a Shako. We trade, and I see I'm left with a gemmed cap
>> with a perfect emerald in it. The bastard drop a Coif of Glory and
>> leaves.
>>
>> What trick was this? It seemed like a perfectly good Shako to me, and
>> now I'm out an Um.
>
>The shako switch is a *very* old trick: you put up a shako on the
>trade window, then come up with some excuse to open a new trade window
>(like asking the other player for something extra) and, in the new
>window, put up an emeralded cap, hoping that the other guy is fooled
>by the color and doesn't recheck the item before pushing the trade
>button. The trick is such common knowledge that I've even gotten "lol
>scammer" and an immediate "X has left the game" when attempting to
>trade away a shako while honestly having my inventory full (another
>common fake reason to put up another trade window used by scammers).
>
>Are you *sure* that you checked again that it's a shako before pushing
>the button and that the sorc hadn't moved it in the trade window (or
>taken it out and put back again) between the time when you checked the
>item and OKed the trade? Because it's almost certainly that and not
>some new trade hack, given how common the emeralded cap trick is.

It was ladder, and it is possible that I missed the check. I fell for
it, hook, line and sinker. Won't happen again.

Kevin