Samsung Launching 18-inch USB Monitor for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Why hasn't USB as a display transfer medium gone mainstream? What are it's limitations? This must be 2.0 I'm assuming... WOW I just had a realization just now as I typed "2.0". How do you tell the computer to send the display info through the USB??? Do you need software to do this theN?

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
For a resolution of 1,366x768 24bit color and 60Hz you need 1510 Mbit/s. USB 2.0 gives only 480 Mbit/s, so some type of compression is needed to achieve display via USB.
Another question is, will it be possible to have a PC without graphic chip and use this monitor as an output?
Yes some sort of drivers will be necessary to run this monitor.

PLATTERMAN

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I see no use for it with a desktop, its a gimmick to me and nothing more and resolution is way less too. A Blu ray would look terrible.

megahustler

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]AMDnoob[/nom]How do you tell the computer to send the display info through the USB??? Do you need software to do this theN?[/citation]
Definitely. My guess is a driver that installs a virtual graphics card. Like some VPN software installs a virtual network card.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]AMDnoob[/nom]Why hasn't USB as a display transfer medium gone mainstream? What are it's limitations? This must be 2.0 I'm assuming... WOW I just had a realization just now as I typed "2.0". How do you tell the computer to send the display info through the USB??? Do you need software to do this theN?[/citation]
assuming... WOW I just had a realization just now as I typed "2.0". How do you tell the computer to send the display info through the USB??? Do you need software to do this theN?[/citation]

Not enough bandwidth/speed/latency in USB 2.0. You can get USB monitors but they are only good for basic stuff like productivity. Also, USB doesn't (as of now) have support for GPU video acceleration so don't even think of gaming on one or watching a movie.

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I can't wait to see someone with two of them and a gaming laptop set up in eyefinity. It would be expensive and excessive but completely worth it.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
USB monitors havnt gone mainstream due to power requirements., USB doesnt supply a ton of power, thus y on things like HDD's u only see the smaller labtop versions as usb only.

ALSO USB splitters wont work, as it wont increase the power available, and cant run more monitors.

But still not bad for a 6.5w monitor

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
If Samsung had designed this for USB 3.0, they would have ended up waiting for two more years- at least- to see some kind of justifiable profit. 3.0 isn't going to become the standard until a long time from now, so 2.0 it is.

How many of you have USB 3.0 slots on your rigs? Not damn many.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I second on the usb 3.0 comment. They should have been more patient and waited. Im sure the speed might allow full HD as well as HZ.... The good news is that this product might be discounted by the end of the year when USB3.0 takes off...

infodan

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Acer tried this about 18 months ago
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/06/acer-ships-22-inch-b223-displaylink-usb-monitor-in-europe/

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]AMDnoob[/nom]Why hasn't USB as a display transfer medium gone mainstream? What are it's limitations? This must be 2.0 I'm assuming... WOW I just had a realization just now as I typed "2.0". How do you tell the computer to send the display info through the USB??? Do you need software to do this theN?[/citation]
Its software-based graphics. The processing load runs on the CPU rather than a GPU so frame-rates might not be very impressive if you're running much else. You'll be limited by CPU on how many you could run at a time...

I gotta say though, if that thing is powered only from the USB port and has no power cord, then that could be pretty nifty.

With a 6-12 core processor, as long as affinities work properly, then maybe you could run a whole bunch of these...

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
You are all very funny. Nowhere in this article does it specify that it's USB 2.0 only. Who says they didn't build this as 3.0 capable? Also USB splitters do help with power requirements as long as you get a powered splitter.

G

I wonder how much bandwidth they will eat from your computer.
Most likely they will degrade performance of games, as they use some of the bandwidth of the SB to display video.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"However, if the shortage of ports is your only problem, there's no shortage of USB hubs and adapters on the market."

I'm pretty sure it needs two to supply it with enough power. If you use an hub on one port, it probably won't work.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]"However, if the shortage of ports is your only problem, there's no shortage of USB hubs and adapters on the market."I'm pretty sure it needs two to supply it with enough power. If you use an hub on one port, it probably won't work.[/citation]
Even heard of a powered hub?

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Even heard of a powered hub?[/citation]
But if you use a powered hub, there is no benefit in using a monitor without a power connector. I also wonder if the bandwidth of an hubbed USB 2.0 is enough for more than 1 screen signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.