Upgrade now or wait?

gregh

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
Hi all,

I currently have an aging KG7 Lite with XP2000+, 512mb, which is fine for what I do today. Now I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but I'd appreciate thoughts from those who know more about this than me.

However given how much I enjoyed playing the various Dooms, I want to upgrade when Doom3 is out.

I'm wondering wether now is a good time to upgrade, or is there something better (socket 939??) coming down the line which is worth waiting for?

Given I could get an abit nf7-s motherboard for £65 and a AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3000 with cooler for £110, do you think socket 939 mobos + CPUs will be anything like that price in 3-5 months, or indeed anything faster/better be around for similiar pricing?

thanks alot,

regards,

greg

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Stop monkeyin' around with XP's of any flavor. An overclocked Northwood will blow them into the weeds! Save your dough for an A64 on any platform. :lol:

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
If you had a better MB, it would have been a possibilty to upgrade your system.

If you want to upgrade for Doom 3, I strongly recommend you to wait and see what will be the best system to run the game. Because it would be a waste of money to get ana XP 3000+ now and learn that it will not run this game smoothly. Don't forget that the Athlon XP 3200+ = P4C 2.8GHz in performance.

Keep your money in your wallet and get the upgrade when Doom 3 will be out. I'm in the same situation, I wait for HL2/Doom3 to upgrade and choose my CPU/MB/GPU.

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

TRENDING THREADS