Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

jetdirect 610n failure

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 29, 2004 8:04:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

I have a home network with 2 computers running XP and 98SE/OS2 (both
system installed), hook up with a linksys befsr41 broadband router.
Hooked up to the system is a Laserjet2300 with a jetdirect 610N
internal print server hard-coded to 192.168.1.90. I print with lpd
via tcpip.

Everything was fine when this morning for no apparent reason, when I
tried to print a file I get a message on the printer something like
"I/0 error 80.8." I unplugged the printer, removed the card and
re-inserted it. Now the router doesn't recognize the card (no connect
light), and when I print a status page it tells me that this slot is
empty!!!

I moved the jetdirect into another laserjet (a 2200) and when I print
out a status page it also doesn't recognize the card.

Does anyone know why a card should stop working after around 6 months
for no apparent reason? I don't recall any power surges and the rest
of the network is working fine.

is there any way to try to reset the card, or am I screwed out of 133
bucks? I've tried powering up the printer with the big "check" button
pushed to do a hardware reset but it makes no difference.
--

More about : jetdirect 610n failure

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 30, 2004 2:28:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Mark Klebanoff <maxikins@spamless.os2bbs.com> wrote:
> I have a home network with 2 computers running XP and 98SE/OS2 (both
> system installed), hook up with a linksys befsr41 broadband router.
> Hooked up to the system is a Laserjet2300 with a jetdirect 610N
> internal print server hard-coded to 192.168.1.90. I print with lpd
> via tcpip.
(snip)
> Does anyone know why a card should stop working after around 6 months
> for no apparent reason? I don't recall any power surges and the rest
> of the network is working fine.

I asked that same question when the 610n died on our 2200DTN. Apparently
it is a common problem.

But we needed a different JetDirect anyway because an old JetDirect EX
Plus was not compatible with network scanning on our HP G85. So rather
than buying another card with burn out history, I moved the EX Plus to the
2200 and got a JetDirect 175x for our G85 (so we can now network print,
scan, fax on the G85). The only consession I had to make for the EX Plus
is that it is old with no web interface or page count, so I had to install
WebJetAdmin software to monitor 2200 page count (estimate remaining
toner).
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 30, 2004 9:21:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks-- I found your old post on Google and wondered how it turned
out. I was able to get the card working again by doing a cold reset,
then removing the card and doing another cold reset of the printer,
then re-inserting the card. No idea what happened in the first place.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:28:50 UTC, efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt)
wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Mark Klebanoff <maxikins@spamless.os2bbs.com> wrote:
> > I have a home network with 2 computers running XP and 98SE/OS2 (both
> > system installed), hook up with a linksys befsr41 broadband router.
> > Hooked up to the system is a Laserjet2300 with a jetdirect 610N
> > internal print server hard-coded to 192.168.1.90. I print with lpd
> > via tcpip.
> (snip)
> > Does anyone know why a card should stop working after around 6 months
> > for no apparent reason? I don't recall any power surges and the rest
> > of the network is working fine.
>
> I asked that same question when the 610n died on our 2200DTN. Apparently
> it is a common problem.
>
> But we needed a different JetDirect anyway because an old JetDirect EX
> Plus was not compatible with network scanning on our HP G85. So rather
> than buying another card with burn out history, I moved the EX Plus to the
> 2200 and got a JetDirect 175x for our G85 (so we can now network print,
> scan, fax on the G85). The only consession I had to make for the EX Plus
> is that it is old with no web interface or page count, so I had to install
> WebJetAdmin software to monitor 2200 page count (estimate remaining
> toner).


--
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 13, 2004 5:41:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

The 610 card failed again and this time the cold resets did not fix it.
I called HP, and described everything I did to get the card working.
I also told them how I tried the card in another printer with the same
result. The tech rep said "It sounds like the card is dead. Give us
your address and we will ship you a new one." They didn't even ask
for a credit card number. The next day the new card arrived via
overnight UPS. Not only that but the new card was an upgrade-- the
615n.

I'm very impressed with HP's tech support. Call me a happy camper.


Mark Klebanoff wrote:
> Thanks-- I found your old post on Google and wondered how it turned
> out. I was able to get the card working again by doing a cold reset,

> then removing the card and doing another cold reset of the printer,
> then re-inserting the card. No idea what happened in the first
place.
>
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:28:50 UTC, efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt)
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Mark Klebanoff <maxikins@spamless.os2bbs.com>
wrote:
> > > I have a home network with 2 computers running XP and 98SE/OS2
(both
> > > system installed), hook up with a linksys befsr41 broadband
router.
> > > Hooked up to the system is a Laserjet2300 with a jetdirect 610N
> > > internal print server hard-coded to 192.168.1.90. I print with
lpd
> > > via tcpip.
> > (snip)
> > > Does anyone know why a card should stop working after around 6
months
> > > for no apparent reason? I don't recall any power surges and the
rest
> > > of the network is working fine.
> >
> > I asked that same question when the 610n died on our 2200DTN.
Apparently
> > it is a common problem.
> >
> > But we needed a different JetDirect anyway because an old JetDirect
EX
> > Plus was not compatible with network scanning on our HP G85. So
rather
> > than buying another card with burn out history, I moved the EX Plus
to the
> > 2200 and got a JetDirect 175x for our G85 (so we can now network
print,
> > scan, fax on the G85). The only consession I had to make for the
EX Plus
> > is that it is old with no web interface or page count, so I had to
install
> > WebJetAdmin software to monitor 2200 page count (estimate remaining
> > toner).
>
>
> --
!