Lan problem solved on HP 8575c

Jim

I recently replaced the drive on an HP 8575c. I did not get an HP
modified drive so the restore disc would not work.
I installed Win 2000 since I feel that 98Se is trash.
I was able to find drivers for and get everything to work except
the network adaptor. It would connect to the internet through the
cable modem for about 20-30 seconds then hang.
I downloaded and tried every driver I could find with no success.

I ended up buying a new NIC card for $10.00. When I installed
it the machine said that I had a Realtek card. Since the box said
that it was a Hawking card, I figured that there was some on-board
circuit that was overriding what the card was.
I looked at the txt files on the CD that came with the card and
found that it was made by Realtek. I put the new card back in
and installed the drivers from the CD and it worked perfectly.

Bottom line is that HP doesn't care about the customer once they get
the money. Their solution is to have the customer buy a new HP
machine. I'll never consider "any" HP product again.

Last year I had to replace the drive on my IBM laptop. I was able to
go to the IBM web site and download all the drivers for that machine
for Win 2000. Painless installation.

Hawking is the brand name of a Pacific Rim manufacturer. Realtek produces lots
of Ethernet chips, used by Hawking, HP, eMachines and many others. Realtek
filled the gap in the low-cost Ethernet chip market when 3COM decided that
Ethernet chips and cards were no longer big money makers and wound down that
business.

Your experience with IBM's web site is typical of the attention paid to
providing customers with the needed information, both printed matter and
drivers. (I bet you can still find technical manuals for the PS/2 computers.
They were there a couple of years ago.) Likewise, IBM's responsiveness with
replacement parts for systems under warranty is the best, as in overnight
service.

Pity that HP does not recognize the value of the good created with customers by
having first rate and complete information and drivers for all its products on
its web site... Ben Myers

Jim <jimboq1@rcn.com> wrote:
> I recently replaced the drive on an HP 8575c. I did not get an HP
> modified drive so the restore disc would not work.
> I installed Win 2000 since I feel that 98Se is trash.
> I was able to find drivers for and get everything to work except
> the network adaptor. It would connect to the internet through the
> cable modem for about 20-30 seconds then hang.
> I downloaded and tried every driver I could find with no success.
>
> I ended up buying a new NIC card for $10.00. When I installed
> it the machine said that I had a Realtek card. Since the box said
> that it was a Hawking card, I figured that there was some on-board
> circuit that was overriding what the card was.
> I looked at the txt files on the CD that came with the card and
> found that it was made by Realtek. I put the new card back in
> and installed the drivers from the CD and it worked perfectly.
>
> Bottom line is that HP doesn't care about the customer once they get
> the money. Their solution is to have the customer buy a new HP
> machine. I'll never consider "any" HP product again.

If you blame a vendor, then at least indicate *why* you blame them. I
don't see anything in the above which you can realistically blame on
HP.

> Last year I had to replace the drive on my IBM laptop. I was able to
> go to the IBM web site and download all the drivers for that machine
> for Win 2000. Painless installation.

Probably because IBM did support Windows 2000 on that machine. Did HP
ever say that they supported Windows 2000 on your HP 8575c? (Hint: The
answer is not "yes".)

Yes, but HP's policy of supporting only the OS shipped with Pavilions is
non-competitive compared with Dell and IBM, the other two of the top three in
world-wide computer shipments. The absence of drivers for the supported OS on
HP's web site for most of the devices found in Pavilions is likewise seriously
non-competitive. Caveat emptor.

I've solved lots of driver problems with Pavilions, whether the OS is supported
or not, but it's not as simple as going to one web site and downloading
everything you need... Ben Myers