HGA7T WRT54G and WSB24 together?

Hello,

I currently have a WRT54G and WSB24 combination at home. Although I'm
not supossed to do this, results have been GREAT. I recently read
about the HGA7T high gain anthenas and would like to add that to the
midst. However since I'm already trying something I shouldn't I wonder
if this is going to mess up my system. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thx,

Erasmo

On 6 Oct 2004 18:05:52 -0700, eacosta@yahoo.com (Erasmo Acosta) wrote:

>I currently have a WRT54G and WSB24 combination at home. Although I'm
>not supossed to do this, results have been GREAT. I recently read
>about the HGA7T high gain anthenas and would like to add that to the
>midst. However since I'm already trying something I shouldn't I wonder
>if this is going to mess up my system. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Well, that's a change. We usually get asked if it will do something.
This is the first time I've seen someone ask if it will NOT do
something. Oh, why not.

I'm fairly sure that a slightly bigger antenna:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=643
will NOT mess up your system. I can also assure you that it will not
cause tooth decay, impotency, and hair loss. In fact, the list of
things it will NOT do is quite large. What I can't tell is if such an
antenna will do anything useful or justify the expense. If you would
kindly disclose what you are trying to accomplish, and what you have
to work with (location, topology, floor plan, range, numbers, etc),
perhaps I can offer a better guess as to what would be an approporiate
antenna replacement. The gain of the HGA7T is suppose to be 7dBi.
The original antennas were 2dBi (at best). The 5dB increase in gain
will ideally give you about 1.8 times the range. However, that's only
in the horizontal plane and will do nothing for coverage above and
below the plane of the antenna. If coverage above and below the
access point is important, the higher gain antennas will actually have
worse coverage.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<a5q9m0h28j19nlcn003e397mg7rcpv6vho@4ax.com>...
> On 6 Oct 2004 18:05:52 -0700, eacosta@yahoo.com (Erasmo Acosta) wrote:
>
> >I currently have a WRT54G and WSB24 combination at home. Although I'm
> >not supossed to do this, results have been GREAT. I recently read
> >about the HGA7T high gain anthenas and would like to add that to the
> >midst. However since I'm already trying something I shouldn't I wonder
> >if this is going to mess up my system. I'd appreciate any ideas.
>
> Well, that's a change. We usually get asked if it will do something.
> This is the first time I've seen someone ask if it will NOT do
> something. Oh, why not.
>
> I'm fairly sure that a slightly bigger antenna:
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=643
> will NOT mess up your system. I can also assure you that it will not
> cause tooth decay, impotency, and hair loss. In fact, the list of
> things it will NOT do is quite large. What I can't tell is if such an
> antenna will do anything useful or justify the expense. If you would
> kindly disclose what you are trying to accomplish, and what you have
> to work with (location, topology, floor plan, range, numbers, etc),
> perhaps I can offer a better guess as to what would be an approporiate
> antenna replacement. The gain of the HGA7T is suppose to be 7dBi.
> The original antennas were 2dBi (at best). The 5dB increase in gain
> will ideally give you about 1.8 times the range. However, that's only
> in the horizontal plane and will do nothing for coverage above and
> below the plane of the antenna. If coverage above and below the
> access point is important, the higher gain antennas will actually have
> worse coverage.

I have a high signal loss at my home (can't tell why). The WRT54G &
WSB24 are upstairs. When I take my laptop downstairs (about 50 feet
from the access point) I'm at 30-50% signal strenght (average).
Without the WSB24 it would be unusable. I just installed the anthenas
and the signal strenght seems to consistently stay over 50% (even
dowstairs), but I need to do more monitoring to tell.