davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04. I do digital video editing, and I want to setup a RAID 0 configuration for speed. I am looking at getting 2 Western Digital 160 GB Serial ATA's in RAID 0. My motherboard has Serial ATA, but I am not sure if it supports 48-bit LBA addressing. If not, I will be stuck at 137 GB instead of 320 GB. I looked on Asus's site, but did not find anything. Also, could someone tell me how to setup a RAID 0 configuration and install Windows. I heard you need some drivers for SATA drives. I have XP Pro, and I have used the XP setup disks when I first used my computer. Are the drivers on those disks? Thanks.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I can ussure you that you need Windows XP SP-1 to install HDD larger than 137Gigs. I bought a Seagate 160Gig a couple of months ago. And I needed SP1 to complete my format process.

For your SATA drivers, you should see your controller in the WinXP control panel (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware).

For RAID, I'm not an expert!

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Your controllers shouldent have a problem with the drives. To make windows reconize the drives for setup you will need to get the SATA controller drivers from your motherboard cd and put them on a floppy.

Once you have that done you start the windows setup normally, it will say something like "Press F6 to install third party SCSI/RAID drivers" press the button and it should prompt you for the disk with the SATA drivers on it.

Insert the disk and follow the directions and you should be good to go.

As far as configuring the RAID, that would be best answered by someone else. Ive installed XP on sata drives but never configured them for raid.

My system specs: Athlon XP 2500+ barton, 512MB PC2700 RAM, MSI motherboard, WD 80GB special edition, ASUS radeon 9600XT

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I bought Windows XP Pro in 2002 before SP1 came out. So my disc is just XP Pro with no service pack. I have the SP1 download on a backup drive, but can I install XP and then install the SP1.

Aromas

Distinguished
May 15, 2004
There is more than one solution for your problem. Microsoft are not clear when referring to 48bit LBA except that you need SP1. My suggestion is to integrate the SP1 into your cd of XP. How you do that? The following link should answer that question.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstream_01.htm
I personally tried and it's perfect!
Some people say that Partition Magic can do the job after installing SP1 but... I prefer re-create the cd. It's safer.
As for your RAID configuration, make sure you copied the controller drivers (probably the Silicon Image SataRAID) to floppy. There is also a jumper on the board that enable/disabled this controller. Once you see your drives detected on the controller (after the POST), you may hit some key (I think it's Ctrl-S or F4) anyway, it's on the screen. Inside the menu, it will be more clear and you should not have a problem. Choose Create RAID, choose Stripe and Auto-configure and after rebooting. Make sure to press F6 to give XP the controller drivers.
Good Luck

Past does not guarantee futur. This is rational but not reasonable. What are you?

TRENDING THREADS