drzook

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Although I have built 3 computers successfully, I still feel I am a begginer when it comes to computer hardware. This last computer has given me a bit of frustration. I guess I will start with the specs, and then explain the problem.

Motherboard: Asus P4P800-E Delux, Intel 865PE Chipset, Dual Channel DDR400
Processor: Pentium 4 2.6gHz, 533mhz FSB
RAM: 1 Stick 1GB of COrsair DDR 400
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 5950, 256 mb, AGP 8x

When I boot up the system, all the fans turn on (the video card and processor fans), but nothing happens. My monitor comes out of stand by mode to a black screen with no blinking cursor or anything. Its almost like the BIOS doesnt even work or come up(or whatever its supposed to do). Is it a compatability issue or something else?

Thanks in advance,
drzook

Begginner

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
You have an Intel Dual Channel board. This requires at least 2 sticks of RAM to work correctly. You'll probably have to either buy another 1 gig stick or (and this is probably a better idea) buy a dual channel set of 2X512 MB, which would probably stand a better chance of working than 2X1024 mismatched sticks.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
No, it requires 2 sticks to work in dual channel mode, if you use one then it simply reverts to using single channel.

Read the top post (Motherboards FAQ), there are many causes for this sort of thing.

Try booting with ONLY CPU, RAM, & Gfx Card installed (unplug everything else)

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
check all the little things first, make sure everything is in its correct slot firmly. Pull out any extra cards you dont need like modem, NIC, or sound. Also make sure the little red switch on your power supply isnt switched to 230, it should be 115. Also try clearing the CMOS (should be a jumper on the board, look in your manual to find it)

After that dissconnect all drives from motherboard and power. If its still dosent boot, pull the memory out and see if you get a beep code. If you do not get any beep codes, you need to pull out the motherboard and make sure that none of you mounts are in the wrong place (makes sure they line up with the holes in the motherboard.)

p.s.
you dont need 2 sticks of RAM to make the board work, you only need 2 sticks if you intend to use it in dual channel mode.

My system specs: Athlon XP 2500+ barton, 512MB PC2700 RAM, MSI motherboard, WD 80GB special edition, ASUS radeon 9600XT

drzook

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Thank you for the help. I have booted with the bare minimum essentials, same result. Also I took the memory out, and got the beeping saying its missing. I have clear the CMOS and left the battery out for about 12 hours, before I reset it, and tried again. Same result. I am at a loss on what to do, any ideas from here?

Again thanks for the help so far,

Drzook

Begginner

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
lol

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I always thought that in order to short the pins and default your BIOS chip, you needed the battery in. Why would you need the battery out for hours? What am I missing here?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BIOS settings will often magically disappear if you leave the battery out, they are normally stored on a powered part of the chip. What you end up with is the default settings, which are actually programed into the chip.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>