Amphaeon

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Im about to grqaduate from high school, and im looking for a great mobo for my present to build upon, i want an AMD 64 to use for hardcore gaming. i want some sudgestions to some mobos, im kinda partial to MSI and was looking at the K8 NEO Platanium, and maybe the ASRock K8S8X what do u think about these mobos
? if you dont like it sudgest one..

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I like the K8N Neo Platinum. It had everything I wanted: decent integrated sound that could do 5.1 and had miniplug, spdif coax/optical outputs, sata raid, and supported 1.5 gigs of memory. The thing I like about this board is there aren't a whole bunch of 3rd party chips (besides the audio, which is realtek unfortunately, soundstorm was awesome), the raid and ethernet are done through the NForce3 chipset, which has proven to be a decent, reliable chipset with less mem probs than VIA chipsets. I don't plan to overclock it when I fist build, but apparently Anandtech.com was able to push it from 200 to 300 FSB pretty easy by locking down the PCI and AGP bus. So its overclock friendly too. From everything I've read, the K8N Neo Platinum is the best motherboard utilizing the NForce 3 250 chipset yet.

Gothmael

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
ASRock = weak
i'd easily stick with msi board of the two,

the new gigabyte board seems to be (closely) the best of all the new nforce3 250gb chipset boards.

SBGTF

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
If you are refering to the GigaByte K8NSNXP, my data indicates it will feature an nVidia nForce3-250 NOT the nForce-250gb. As far as I know the only 250gb boards are the MSI K8N Neo Platiumium, and the Epox 8KDA3+.
The aforementioned ASROCK board is an SIS 755 based board(ASROCK is ASUS new budget line I belive)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SBGTF on 05/22/04 02:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
i am running 4 of the asrock boards based on the sis chipsets, none of them are "weak" at all, they are rock solid stable and oc very well.......why are you saying they are "weak"?

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.