ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe won't install BIOS

jbfallon

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Originally an ALIENWARE AMD machine a recent 'brownout' cooked my HDD's and Mobo. Seeing that Alienware was selling new units with the 800-E Deluxe, I went that route. Installed new Antec 430 True Power too, along with new blank HDD/new video card/Intel 3.0 GHZ CPU. I also have a new Back-UPS as well!!

Upon start up BIOS setup sees HDD and Sony DRU500. Basically left BIOS at default, Set to IDE. Boot sequence set at CDROM/Floppy/HDD.

Continuing on with startup: After Detecting phase I get a message that says:
No device is found!
BIOS is not installed.

If I proceed with startup with Windows 2000 disk in DVD I have gotten 2 different messages:
file sbp2port.sys is corrupted
or
file pciide.sys is corrupted

I have also disconnected the Sony DVD but get the same 'No BIOS installed' message.

Ideas?

Thanks, John

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel 3.0 GHZ
Kingston ValueRam 2 x 512MB
BIOS Ver 1014
Gainward Ultra/1300XT 256 MB DDR Golden Sample
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV
Sony DRU500 DVD Burner

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
seems strange....have you tried flashing the bios?

My system specs: Athlon XP 2500+ barton, 512MB PC2700 RAM, MSI motherboard, WD 80GB special edition, ASUS radeon 9600XT

jbfallon

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
No, I'm very new to sorting out and configuring a new Mobo. Always bought fully assembled/tested computers before. I was hoping my problem was somewhat typical and somebody would recogize it and give me a likely fix. If I should decide to flash the bios would you recommend using the same version 1014 or the newest 1016?

Thanks!

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel 3.0 GHZ
BIOS Ver 1014
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV
Sony DRU500 DVD Burner

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
the bios message isn't an error, it's the SATA or raid bios not finding drives, ignore it. I'd suspect you have bad ram, bad installation media, bad dvdrom or bad cable. Start out running Memtest86 from www.memtest86.com and proceed from there.

jbfallon

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
You're absolutely correct, thanks! Finally got through to ASUS support who said the same thing. He suspected the DVD drive or CD, possibly the cable. I switched to my DVD player and cleaned what looked like a clean disk, BINGO! Windows 2000 Pro loaded right up. I went back and hooked up my Sony DRU500 DVD Burner and it seems to work. I wish I had only cleaned the CD to pin point for sure that was the problem.

I posted my problem on a couple of forums and you were the only one outside of ASUS to diagnose it. It renews my faith in building my own system that this worked out. Tom's is a great place to go for help/answers, thanks again. Was beginning to think I should have just bought a new Alienware box ready to go.

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel 3.0 GHZ
BIOS Ver 1014
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV
Sony DRU500 DVD Burner

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I turned off my Promise RAID controller in the motherboard BIOS so I wouldn't have to see that message or wait for it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>