Underclocker04

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Just finished putting together a New PC for a friend of mine, and im getting a weird Error? Its based around a AMD 2400XP thoroughbred & a ASUS A7v8X-X Motherboard with 512Mb of Exlir 3200 400DDR Ram in 1 Module.. When the Pc is Powered on it goes into the Bios and states the Frequency settings are incorrect and that it is running in bios safe mode, the Settings are set at 133 Bus Freq,x15 for the Multiplyer, and memory is set to Auto.. The Vcore is 1.65 when exiting the Bios it Just emits a 2 Sec repeating Beep and the screen stays Blank, hitting the Off Switch results in it Rebooting to the Bios Safe Mode? with the above error? Anyone got any Ideas?

Ive built Many PCs in my Time and never had any problems such as this before.. Usually i liek to Use MSI motherboards, but i saw this motherboard at a good price and thought ASUS was a good make?

HELP!! ;{

Gothmael

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
The only 2 things that come to mind is checking for a FSB selection jumper (not sure on that asus model, but it might have one..) and trying the latest bios update..

hope that helps some..

Underclocker04

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Dont think this MB has a Jumper on the Board, at least i cant seam to find any reference to 1 in the manual, (not the best MB manual ever written tho ;) )Grrrrrrr

Gothmael

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
oh, i thought u said it would post with safe mode defaults in the bios after you reboot it.. the easiest thing to do would be to exchange it from whoever you bought it from, if thats possible.. i've seen this problem before on asus boards and just ended up exchanging them at my store..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
133x15 sounds right to me. Asus boards misreport a frequency error any time the motherboard fails POST. I said MISreport, it's usually a DIFFERENT unrelated problem. It could be the memory, try running it synchronously (ie, at DDR266 speed).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Underclocker04

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
AH........ As soon as i set the Ram Mhz to 266 and hit F10 to exit the bios, Voila!! Its boots up? What gives? why am i having to run my Shiny PC DDR 400 memory at this speed? I know this motherboard was cheap? but MSI boards of similar price dont have half of this boards Problems! Since buying this board ive come across more and more unexplainable Problems spread across the Net!!

I wont be buying ASUS again!!

Thanx for the Help tho :) Much apreciated!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Underclocker04 on 05/23/04 09:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wont be buying ASUS again!!
LOL, a lot of guys were saying that about AMD 5 years ago, it turned out to be problems with their VIA chipsets, nothing to do with AMD. Anyway, not all DDR400 is high quality, some requires you to run your RAM at increased voltage. And running your RAM above synchronous isn't the best way to find stability either.

Every motherboard company I can think of makes some trashy stuff at the bottom range.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Underclocker04

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Well i Was Building AMD and Via Systems back 5 years ago, and to be honest i found most probelms were to do with via and ATI graphics cards! So not really fair to blame AMD or at least to put all blame their Way! Ive Come to Really Fond of MSI Stuff Lately , Great Build/Specs and not to Much on the Pocket, I guess its my Own fault for trying to save an Extra £5 lol!!

Cheers!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm dealing with such a system right here, right now, that won't accept an nVidia graphics card, but works perfectly with an ATI card. Currently I'm searching for a patched BIOS as there was a known issue back then.

Underclocker04

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
My Home PC which i Use Now is based upon an NForce2 Chipset and Nvidia Graphics card, And i dont think you can beat that combination, ATI have got their Drivers a lot more stable these Days i think.. But this Latest System is the first 1 ive build using an ATI card for Years!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm still having trouble with these damned nVidia drivers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All the way to 6.31, which is the most reliable version I've seen for older cards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
3 cards. I know what I'm doing here, a few years ago I fixed it with a certain 4-in-1 revision and a certain Detonator 3 revision, but it's no longer worth my time to reload a hard drive 3 or 4 times because I discovered the 4-in-1 version I experimented with is one of the versions that causes Windows to become unbootable with this particular combination of parts. I've noticed Win98's built in drivers are among the most stable in general, but they simply don't make this card/driver work on this particular chipset.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nice, I found an OLD version of the VIA 4-in-1 drivers that I USED to use to fix problems like this a couple years ago, loaded it, and now everything works. Funny, I never had to load the 4-in-1's on KT133 or Apollo Pro 133 chipsets, and those are NEWER than the MVP3.