Closed

HP Deskjet 882c- color yellow gone...???

Went to print a picture today (I usually work in B/W draft for most of
routine printing) and discovered the yellow was gone. Installed a new HP
$$$#23 cartridge, figuring I was out of ink, and same problem.
I have 'cleaned' heads several times, cleaned pins with alcohol, tried all
the tricks I can think of..... HP tech service says hardware problem "buy a
new one"...
Any thoughts???
TIA

--
Tom M
(To reply, remove *deletenospam* from my address)

    "Tom M" <TM@nospam.escapees.com.nospam> wrote in message
    > Went to print a picture today (I usually work in B/W draft for most of
    > routine printing) and discovered the yellow was gone. Installed a new HP
    > $$$#23 cartridge, figuring I was out of ink, and same problem.

    Most likely you have an old "new" cartridge. Check the "Install by" date on
    the package or check the warranty date (= install by date + six months) as
    shown at the following:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bua02014.
    If the cartridge is still in warranty contact HP or your dealer for a
    replacement. If the cartridge is beyond its warranty replace it with a fresh
    cartridge. When buying a new cartridge I would look for one with at least six
    months remaining before the "install by" date.

    If you must store cartridges for an extended time keep them upright as they
    would hang on a dealer display and avoid temperature extremes.

    Regards,

    Thanks Bob,
    My #23 cartridge date is 20031026.

    But since the cartridge that failed (or ran empty) ran out of yellow, why
    would a new (albeit out of date) cartridge also give yellow trouble?
    Doesn't that suggest something common, or just coincidence?

    --

    > Thanks Bob,
    > My #23 cartridge date is 20031026.
    >
    > But since the cartridge that failed (or ran empty) ran out of yellow, why
    > would a new (albeit out of date) cartridge also give yellow trouble?
    > Doesn't that suggest something common, or just coincidence?

    The cartridge is eighteen months beyond its recommended shelf life. Old
    cartridges may have one or more colors missing, typically yellow is the first
    due to the ink and cartridge properties. A fresh cartridge should cure your
    problems.

    Regards,

    OK, I appreciate the advice Bob. I'll go buy one today and see. It's worth
    the gamble.
    In the FWIW department, I looked up in my Quicken when I bought the 2 pack
    of color #23 (this is the last of the 2 cartridges): at Sam's Club
    10/2/2003. So they sold me an almost expired cartridge set of 2.
    Well when I shop today, if necessary, I'll break open the package before
    buying to check the date.
    I'll let you know how I make out.

    --

    >I suspect that the soaking the tip in water for 10-15 minutes helped soften
    > things up. Then the slight vacuum technique broke it loose. Good luck.
    > Maybe Bob H can help too.

    There is a risk soaking the cartridge as the chambers that are OK will take up
    the water, resulting in diluted ink.

    The inks contain algaecide and you should avoid getting the ink in your mouth.

    I have seen (but never tried) an alternate suggestion - put the cartridge in an
    old sock with the nozzles pointing toward the toe. Take it outside and swing
    it briskly above your head. This can be messy but some have reported success.

    Regards,

    Thanks Bob,
    Fortunately I didn't soak my cartridge tip for more than about 5 minutes.
    Prior to that, I didn't use the sock method, but did try to 'shake' it down
    like we used to for ball point pens. Only then did I try the mouth vacuum,
    and I glad, after reading you comment about the algaecides, that I spanned
    the tip and didn't make direct contact with the fluids, other than my thumb.

    BTW, a personal thanks for you input and help in my problems.

    --

    > "Tom M" <TM@nospam.escapees.com.nospam> wrote in message
    > >I suspect that the soaking the tip in water for 10-15 minutes helped
    soften
    > > things up. Then the slight vacuum technique broke it loose. Good luck.
    > > Maybe Bob H can help too.
    >
    > There is a risk soaking the cartridge as the chambers that are OK will
    take up
    > the water, resulting in diluted ink.
    >
    > The inks contain algaecide and you should avoid getting the ink in your
    mouth.

    > I have seen (but never tried) an alternate suggestion - put the cartridge
    in an
    > old sock with the nozzles pointing toward the toe. Take it outside and
    swing
    > it briskly above your head. This can be messy but some have reported
    success.

    > Regards,

  7. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened

Hewlett Packard Deskjet Computers