Specs:

E 8500 Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.16 Ghz
Inno 3d GTX 260 Overclock
Asrock Penryn 1600-110-Sli Motherboard
Vista 64 bit ultimate OS
2 Gig RAM
650w PSU
Samsung 22" LCD (1680 x 1050)

The game lags terribly, what might be the problem, I even have to change my resolution and image qualities to play the game.... and everybody knows that there's no fun in that!!!!!!

Huh?? I boggles me!!!!

Thanks for any help!

Dane (South Africa)

Solution
Hello again Dane,

The PC version of GTA 4 is very, very poorly optimised. It was designed for consoles and ported to the PC, and pretty much everyone complains that it runs poorly even on high-spec PC's. See this extract from the Wikipedia article:

"Rockstar has come under fire from Grand Theft Auto communities, Gamespot and other websites, due to the game's abnormally high system requirements, as well as for its poor performance, even on systems that exceed the recommended system requirements by a wide margin."

Short of recoding the game from scratch, there's nothing you can do to fix it.

isamuelson

Distinguished
That setup should work in most cases, but I do know that having a quad core really helps. In fact, that is recommended by Rockstar. Minimum is a dual-core CPU, but that means playing it at the lowest resolutions with minimum details.

Also, is this version cracked or legit? If it's cracked, we can't help you as that is illegal.

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
thank you for replying "isamuelson"

the game is one hundred percent legit, original, off the shelf!!! thank you for agreeing with me that this boggles your mind as well!!!

and its very frustrating!!! lower resolutions make the game look like Duke Nukem 3d!!! AAARRG!!!!!

there must be problem with data transfer or something!!! isn't there a fix or something that will make the game run more smoothly? speaking obviously of an authentic, registered fix???

thank you for your input!!!

Dane

Hello again Dane,

The PC version of GTA 4 is very, very poorly optimised. It was designed for consoles and ported to the PC, and pretty much everyone complains that it runs poorly even on high-spec PC's. See this extract from the Wikipedia article:

"Rockstar has come under fire from Grand Theft Auto communities, Gamespot and other websites, due to the game's abnormally high system requirements, as well as for its poor performance, even on systems that exceed the recommended system requirements by a wide margin."

Short of recoding the game from scratch, there's nothing you can do to fix it.

Solution

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Good morning "Herr_Koos"

that really explains a lot, and now i fully understand why the game does not run as smoothly as expected!

thank you for your input, even though i still feel a bit foolish buying the game, i'm glad that it wasn't my pc that was under-performing!

but a person must say that it is a great game! great story line and good suspense!!

Baie Dankie Herr_Koos"

Jy help ongelooflik baie!!

Plesier is myne.. ;-)

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

OK I know we have solved this thread with the excuse that the game is "poorly programmed" but I would just like to say that if you had another 2Gb of RAM (so you had 4Gb total) it would really help a lot.

isamuelson

Distinguished
They just released a new patch this week which allows you to determine what level of texturing you want to use. I noticed a pretty big increase in speed. You might try that.

More memory can help somewhat, but don't expect a huge leap. I had 4 gigs in my older system (Athlon64 X2 4200+) and I was lucky to get 20 fps. I upgraded to the Phenom II X3 720 BE and I was getting around 30 fps with my ATI HD 3870 card. I upgraded to an ATI HD 5750 and I was still getting 30 fps.

When I unlocked my 4th core, my FPS jumped to 40 fps. GTA was written to utilized multiple cores and the company has even stated 2 cores is not enough. It's the minimum, but they really suggest you have more than 2 cores to really be able to play the game. But, the big stink was, even high end systems were having problems.

This latest patch seems to clear up a lot of those issues. Oh, and it now gives you an option to NOT have to log into Rock Star Cafe to play the game! The login screen comes up and you can tell it to play offline. Of course, you won't be able to play multiplayer or upload/share and movies, but at least now it's only Windows Live that runs. Maybe that's why it runs better now? ;) Who knows!

cnan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
i have core i5 processor.. 4 gb ram.. 64bit windows 7 system.. ATI mobility radeon 5650 1GB graphics..
still a big lag in GTA IV... im not able to play the came.. help plz... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.