Help Please! Connecting Wireless Router to DLink ADSL Router

Can anyone please help or advise?

I have a D-Link router DSL-504 connected to give me ADSL connectivity. This
has an IP address of 192.168.0.1. This also acts a a DHCP server.
I want to connect a Netgear WGR614 Wireless AP and router to this. The
Netgear has a default IP address which is the same as the D-Link. Should I
change this default before I connect it?
I expect the DLink would assign it the next IP address which would be
192.168.0.5 or should I just connect it? Even if I change the IP address to
something else the DLink could still try and assign something different.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Cliff
3 answers Last reply
More about help please connecting wireless router dlink adsl router

    "Cliff" <cliffj_green_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone please help or advise?
    >
    > I have a D-Link router DSL-504 connected to give me ADSL connectivity.
    > This
    > has an IP address of 192.168.0.1. This also acts a a DHCP server.
    > I want to connect a Netgear WGR614 Wireless AP and router to this. The
    > Netgear has a default IP address which is the same as the D-Link.

    According to the installation guide, the DSL-504T has a default IP address
    of 192.168.1.1.

    > Should I
    > change this default before I connect it?
    > I expect the DLink would assign it the next IP address which would be
    > 192.168.0.5 or should I just connect it? Even if I change the IP address
    > something else the DLink could still try and assign something different.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Cliff

    Are you using the Netgear router as just another AP but you have the Netgear
    on hand, or are you trying to setup a second subnet (LAN)?

    If you are just using the Netgear as another AP, change its LAN IP address
    to be different than the D-Link router and outside the range of addresses
    used by the D-Link's DHCP server. The address must be 192.1678.0.x if
    that's what the D-Link is using on the LAN. Then disable the DHCP server on
    the Netgear. Don't use the WAN port on the Netgear. Connect from a LAN
    port on the D-Link to a LAN port on the Netgear (normally you would use a
    crossover cable on a switch-to-switch connection, but the Netgear has
    Auto-Uplink, AKA Auto-Crossover).

    If you are setting up a second subnet, then connect a LAN port on the D-Link
    to the WAN port on the Netgear. Change the Netgear to use a different
    subnet address (not 192.168.0.x) like 192.168.2.x on its LAN. Keep the DHCP
    server enabled on the Netgear.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Thanks for the advice but I am more confused now!

    I want to keep the D-Link which is a cable ADSL router only and connect
    the Netgear to it so that I can have wireless access for a laptop and
    PDA.

    If I change the range of IP address to be outside the DHCP range of the
    DLink will it be able to see it? Id I disable DHCP on the Netgear will
    the PDA and laptop be able to connect over wireless and get an IP
    address?

    Sorry if I am being a bit slow here, I am obviously missing something.

    Cliff

    --
    cliffg
  3. Cliff,

    I don't know if you still need this info, but here goes.

    Attach the Wireless access point to your ADSL modem, use a LAN port on the modem to the WAN port on the AP. Give the AP an IP address that is on the modem IE. the modem is 192.68.1.1, you can give the modem an IP address of 192.168.1.2, then setup the AP DHCP server to issue an IP range of 192.168.2.x. Even though they are on different subnets, the AP will hand off the traffic to the modem. Hope this helps.

    I have my Linksys WRT54G setup to receive a DHCP address from my DSL modem. I assigned a subnet of 192.168.50.150 to my Linksys and set it to issue IP's in that range. My modem is set to 192.168.0.1 My AP shows the 192.168.0.1 as the DNS server.

IP Address D-Link Connection Routers Wireless Networking