Sign in with
Your question

Any word on PCI Express?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 25, 2004 2:57:20 AM

As a youngin', I'm generally not in the know when it comes to things like release dates and ramifications of PCI Express. My question is, when will it come? I'm planning on putting together a new computer this summer, but with the proximity of PCI Express, will my AGP card and other hardware be then rendered useless and old-fashioned? Will I have to get new PCI cards, or will there still be regular PCI slots on new mobos? For that matter, should I hold out on getting a new shiny mobo until the advent of PCI Express, so I'm not stuck shelling out dough two--one before, one after Express? These and more questions rattle through my head, and any light shed on the matter would be appreciated! Thanks,
johnnyboy

More about : word pci express

a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2004 6:30:59 AM

Yes, your complete computer will be rendered outdated by PCI-Express. Besides that, both AMD and Intel are comming out with new processor sockets. Intel's going to new RAM. And everyone's moving to SATA. Pretty soon the whole thing will be nearly worthless. And you'd be stupid to invest in a brand new, unproven PCI-Express motherboard, because these things often hit the market well before all the bugs get worked out.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 25, 2004 5:05:38 PM

Don't forget the new form factor, and DDR2.

--------------------
P3 Coppermine 975mhz (150 * 6.5)
384 PC133
Geforce2 MX-400
Enermax 250 watt
Spray painted/modded P2 Dell case
<b>Cost: $0</b>
Related resources
May 25, 2004 9:39:56 PM

OH NO! Not my entire computer! Oh gosh golly, what ever shall I do! I mean, gee willikers...zowie! I guess that mean's I'll have to go out and...well, I'll probably have to get a new job to buy all of the new shiny consumer hardware still warm from the assembly line, and of course I might as well spend money getting top of the line advice from Best Buy's Geek Squad...well holy mother of jesus, where are the four horsemen of apocalypse?

Lol, excuse me for breathing guys.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by johnnyboy on 05/25/04 10:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2004 10:04:40 PM

What I'm telling you is this: If you need a computer now, build now with currently available parts. If you want to wait, you'd probably be best off waiting until the dust settles in around 6 months! Now, 6 months is a long time to wait, so if you're in a hurry, DON'T WORRY about what's going to be changing.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 26, 2004 2:19:44 AM

Thanks Crashman ;) 
May 26, 2004 5:38:11 AM

I remember AGP 8X to have offer a large issue on SIS and VIA chipset but i dont think that will be the case of PCI-EX as the standart in allready in new server chipset.2 it will be use in all NB to SB connection.

i need to change useur name.
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2004 9:15:14 AM

SiS didn't have large issues with AGP8x, a few companies just made crappy boards by trying to modify their 645 designs cheaply to support the new features of the 648. ATI's early 9700's didn't get allong so well with Intel's early 8x chipsets though!

And remember the 440HX sucked, the 440LX was somewhat better, but the 440BX was supreme? And then the i810 sucked, the i815 was better, and the i815E was reasonably good? And how the 7205 was half decent but the 875 was much better? Wow, and then there's the cards, and the excess people will pay for PCI-Express boards when they're first released. I'd hate to be the sucker that spent twice the money for a lesser board than was commonly available a few months later.

May 27, 2004 1:20:22 AM

One more thing.

If you wait another 6 months.. You might even need a new casing... BTX
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2004 1:34:23 AM

Not if YOU don't buy it. The only way BTX will be a success in the home built market is if 2 things happen:
1.) Panic buyers get it because they FEAR ATX will disappear.
2.) Normal buyers believe it's superior.

As long as YOU don't buy it, there won't be a problem.

!