Best Verizon Tri-Mode Phone

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 4, 2004 7:30:36 PM

I recently had a bad experience not being able to pick-up reception in a
fringe area w/ my LG4500. So, my representative said they'd trade me
straight across for a tri-mode phone. The only 2 they've mentioned are the
Audiovox CDM8900 and the LG 3200. Which would you recommend. Are there
other Verizon tri-modes worthy of consideration. Thanks for any help w/
this.

More about : verizon tri mode phone

August 4, 2004 7:30:37 PM

"Uni" <no.email@no.email.invalid> wrote in message
> I recently had a bad experience not being able to pick-up reception in a
> fringe area w/ my LG4500. So, my representative said they'd trade me
> straight across for a tri-mode phone. The only 2 they've mentioned are
the
> Audiovox CDM8900 and the LG 3200. Which would you recommend. Are there
> other Verizon tri-modes worthy of consideration. Thanks for any help w/
> this.

Analog will only help if there is good analog coverage from another carrier
in the fringe area.
August 4, 2004 7:45:55 PM

Samsung A650..30 dollars for 2 at Verizon store (with rebates)

Everything except a camera

Love it

Watson

"Uni" <no.email@no.email.invalid> wrote in message
> I recently had a bad experience not being able to pick-up reception in a
> fringe area w/ my LG4500. So, my representative said they'd trade me
> straight across for a tri-mode phone. The only 2 they've mentioned are
the
> Audiovox CDM8900 and the LG 3200. Which would you recommend. Are there
> other Verizon tri-modes worthy of consideration. Thanks for any help w/
> this.

Related resources
August 4, 2004 11:29:35 PM

Have been hearing nothing but praise for the Nokia 3589i.

No flip, but a great display.

I took the v60s for the speakerphone. Nice phone, but a lousy display and
poor analog.

If I had to do it over, I'd go for the Nokia.

HTH,
Dean
August 5, 2004 1:14:50 AM

Just replace the antenna with the extendable type from the V60i --
significant improvemnt in reception.

"Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Have been hearing nothing but praise for the Nokia 3589i.
>
> No flip, but a great display.
>
> I took the v60s for the speakerphone. Nice phone, but a lousy display and
> poor analog.
>
> If I had to do it over, I'd go for the Nokia.
>
> HTH,
> Dean

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:01:16 AM

I got the VX4500 when I signed up with VZW. It was not giving me reception
at all when I go to Target stores, and other department stores. But I had
good reception in my house. I complained with VZW. The rep said that I
should exchange it with a Trimode. He suggested the CDM8900. Okay, I had
the CDM8900. I hate the phone because the keys are flat and are close to
each other. I always press the wrong key. PLUS, here this, still no signal
at the stores where the VX4500 failed. So I took the CDM8900 back and got
another VX4500 which I'll probably keep for a long time.

"Uni" <no.email@no.email.invalid> wrote in message
> I recently had a bad experience not being able to pick-up reception in a
> fringe area w/ my LG4500. So, my representative said they'd trade me
> straight across for a tri-mode phone. The only 2 they've mentioned are
the
> Audiovox CDM8900 and the LG 3200. Which would you recommend. Are there
> other Verizon tri-modes worthy of consideration. Thanks for any help w/
> this.

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 6:21:13 AM

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:01:16 GMT, C C wrote:

> I hate the phone because the keys are flat and are close to
> each other.

That's why I got a Moto T730. Works great, and the keys are made for fat
fingers! You can find some on eBay at reasonable prices.
August 5, 2004 11:57:32 AM

samsung 650 is only good in a good reception area. if the reception is
bad, the quality of the phone calls will suffer; calls wont be clear,
will go into analog mode, with plenty of missed and dropped calls.

i havent tried samsung 670 myself, but people say its is a great phone
with great reception.

the hotshot

"Watson" <Watson@stty.org> wrote in message news:<Tw7Qc.2408$zc4.1400869@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Samsung A650..30 dollars for 2 at Verizon store (with rebates)
>
> Everything except a camera
>
> Love it
>
> Watson
>

> "Uni" <no.email@no.email.invalid> wrote in message
> > I recently had a bad experience not being able to pick-up reception in a
> > fringe area w/ my LG4500. So, my representative said they'd trade me
> > straight across for a tri-mode phone. The only 2 they've mentioned are
> the
> > Audiovox CDM8900 and the LG 3200. Which would you recommend. Are there
> > other Verizon tri-modes worthy of consideration. Thanks for any help w/
> > this.

August 5, 2004 12:58:21 PM

"C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I got the VX4500 when I signed up with VZW. It was not giving me
reception
> at all when I go to Target stores, and other department stores. But I had
> good reception in my house. I complained with VZW. The rep said that I
> should exchange it with a Trimode. He suggested the CDM8900. Okay, I had
> the CDM8900. I hate the phone because the keys are flat and are close to
> each other. I always press the wrong key. PLUS, here this, still no
signal
> at the stores where the VX4500 failed. So I took the CDM8900 back and got
> another VX4500 which I'll probably keep for a long time.

Thats why I question the idea that analog is suddenly a fix for weak signal
areas. In most cases it will be exactly as you found. The analog and digital
signals are coming from the same tower. So if there is no or poor digital
signal there will probably be no or poor analog.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 3:43:24 PM

George <george@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Thats why I question the idea that analog is suddenly a fix for weak signal
> areas. In most cases it will be exactly as you found. The analog and digital
> signals are coming from the same tower. So if there is no or poor digital
> signal there will probably be no or poor analog.

Except that analog signals have greater coverage and you may be able to pick
up an analog signal from a more distant tower.

August 5, 2004 11:03:04 PM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> George <george@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Thats why I question the idea that analog is suddenly a fix for weak
signal
> > areas. In most cases it will be exactly as you found. The analog and
digital
> > signals are coming from the same tower. So if there is no or poor
digital
> > signal there will probably be no or poor analog.
>
> Except that analog signals have greater coverage and you may be able to
pick
> up an analog signal from a more distant tower.

My experience is that in that case your phone may be able to "hear" the site
but doesn't have enough power to sucessfully make a call.

sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
August 6, 2004 1:04:18 AM

Thanks for the idea about the Samsung 670, but it's a "dual-mode" phone, not
a tri-mode. I'm thinking about just keeping my LG 4500 for now, and then
maybe seeing what comes out down the road. Seems like the only contenders
currently are the: LG 3200 (No external - Caller ID/Time), Samsung 650
(lots of lackluster reviews on phonescoop.com) and the Audiovox 8900. If
the audiovox were superior to the LG4500, I'd love to get it, but that
doesn't seem to be the case. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love hear
them. Thanks again.

"hotshot" <hotshot@inbox.lv> wrote in message
> samsung 650 is only good in a good reception area. if the reception is
> bad, the quality of the phone calls will suffer; calls wont be clear,
> will go into analog mode, with plenty of missed and dropped calls.
>
> i havent tried samsung 670 myself, but people say its is a great phone
> with great reception.
>
> the hotshot
>
> "Watson" <Watson@stty.org> wrote in message
> > Samsung A650..30 dollars for 2 at Verizon store (with rebates)
> >
> > Everything except a camera
> >
> > Love it
> >
> > Watson
> >

> > "Uni" <no.email@no.email.invalid> wrote in message
> > > I recently had a bad experience not being able to pick-up reception in
> > > fringe area w/ my LG4500. So, my representative said they'd trade me
> > > straight across for a tri-mode phone. The only 2 they've mentioned
are
> > the
> > > Audiovox CDM8900 and the LG 3200. Which would you recommend. Are
there
> > > other Verizon tri-modes worthy of consideration. Thanks for any help
w/
> > > this.

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:57:16 AM

George <george@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> My experience is that in that case your phone may be able to "hear" the site
> but doesn't have enough power to sucessfully make a call.

Ahh, good point! I forgot that the CDMA/AMPS multi-mode phones don't do 3W
like the old AMPS-only phones.

August 6, 2004 2:02:28 AM

My a650 goes into analog mode withoutdropped calls in a remote area. In
fact, my friends 7868w seems to have the same reception, in the same area,
only both parties said my phone was clearer

I agree with the 2 phones or $30 program at Verizon. What a steal

"hotshot" <hotshot@inbox.lv> wrote in message
> samsung 650 is only good in a good reception area. if the reception is
> bad, the quality of the phone calls will suffer; calls wont be clear,
> will go into analog mode, with plenty of missed and dropped calls.
>
> i havent tried samsung 670 myself, but people say its is a great phone
> with great reception.
>
> the hotshot
>
> "Watson" <Watson@stty.org> wrote in message
> > Samsung A650..30 dollars for 2 at Verizon store (with rebates)
> >
> > Everything except a camera
> >
> > Love it
> >
> > Watson
> >

> > "Uni" <no.email@no.email.invalid> wrote in message
> > > I recently had a bad experience not being able to pick-up reception in
> > > fringe area w/ my LG4500. So, my representative said they'd trade me
> > > straight across for a tri-mode phone. The only 2 they've mentioned
are
> > the
> > > Audiovox CDM8900 and the LG 3200. Which would you recommend. Are
there
> > > other Verizon tri-modes worthy of consideration. Thanks for any help
w/
> > > this.

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 7:57:55 AM

Is the Motorola T730 for VZW? This phone is not even at the VZW website!

"Traveling Man" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:01:16 GMT, C C wrote:
>
> > I hate the phone because the keys are flat and are close to
> > each other.
>
> That's why I got a Moto T730. Works great, and the keys are made for fat
> fingers! You can find some on eBay at reasonable prices.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 8:02:25 AM

"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > I got the VX4500 when I signed up with VZW. It was not giving me
> reception
> > at all when I go to Target stores, and other department stores. But I
had
> > good reception in my house. I complained with VZW. The rep said that I
> > should exchange it with a Trimode. He suggested the CDM8900. Okay, I
had
> > the CDM8900. I hate the phone because the keys are flat and are close
> > each other. I always press the wrong key. PLUS, here this, still no
> signal
> > at the stores where the VX4500 failed. So I took the CDM8900 back and
got
> > another VX4500 which I'll probably keep for a long time.
> >
> Thats why I question the idea that analog is suddenly a fix for weak
signal
> areas. In most cases it will be exactly as you found. The analog and
digital
> signals are coming from the same tower. So if there is no or poor digital
> signal there will probably be no or poor analog.

Well, the VZW rep who suggested the CDM8900 to me said
that the analog signal penetrates better into buildings than digital!
August 6, 2004 8:10:40 AM

In article <6_CdnfNoeprLIY_cRVn-vw@adelphia.com>, george@nospam.invalid
says...

> "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> > George <george@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > Thats why I question the idea that analog is suddenly a fix for weak
> signal
> > > areas. In most cases it will be exactly as you found. The analog and
> digital
> > > signals are coming from the same tower. So if there is no or poor
> digital
> > > signal there will probably be no or poor analog.
> >
> > Except that analog signals have greater coverage and you may be able to
> pick
> > up an analog signal from a more distant tower.
>

> My experience is that in that case your phone may be able to "hear" the site
> but doesn't have enough power to sucessfully make a call.
>

> > --
> > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

My experience is that the call sounds noisy and muddy, but both parties
are intelligible to each other. And sometimes, when a very low digital
signal moves to analog, I find it is more likely to be able to hold onto
a call.

Louise
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 8:28:32 AM

C C wrote:
> "George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> I got the VX4500 when I signed up with VZW. It was not giving me
>>> reception at all when I go to Target stores, and other department
>>> stores. But I had good reception in my house. I complained with
>>> VZW. The rep said that I should exchange it with a Trimode. He
>>> suggested the CDM8900. Okay, I had the CDM8900. I hate the phone
>>> because the keys are flat and are close to each other. I always
>>> press the wrong key. PLUS, here this, still no signal at the
>>> stores where the VX4500 failed. So I took the CDM8900 back and got
>>> another VX4500 which I'll probably keep for a long time.
>>>
>> Thats why I question the idea that analog is suddenly a fix for weak
>> signal areas. In most cases it will be exactly as you found. The
>> analog and digital signals are coming from the same tower. So if
>> there is no or poor digital signal there will probably be no or poor
>> analog.
>>

> Well, the VZW rep who suggested the CDM8900 to me said
> that the analog signal penetrates better into buildings than digital!

Bzzzzt! given the same signal strength, penetration is dependent
on wavelength. 850 will have better penetration than 1900. It
has nothing to do whether it is digital or analog.

-Quick
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 4:11:57 PM

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 03:57:55 GMT, C C wrote:

> Is the Motorola T730 for VZW? This phone is not even at the VZW website!

Yep. The T730c was sold by VZW until few months ago when they started
pushing the fancy phones.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 2:45:59 AM

Some Radio Shack and P C Richard stores are still selling the LG VX4400.

willie
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 5:21:39 AM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

> George <george@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > My experience is that in that case your phone may be able to "hear" the
site
> > but doesn't have enough power to sucessfully make a call.
>
> Ahh, good point! I forgot that the CDMA/AMPS multi-mode phones don't do 3W
> like the old AMPS-only phones.

The hand-held "old AMPS-only phones" did *not* have a 3-Watt output.

--
D.J., N8DO; FMCA 147762
dj[underscore]osborn at yahoo dot com

D.J. Osborn <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:

>> Ahh, good point! I forgot that the CDMA/AMPS multi-mode phones don't do 3W
>> like the old AMPS-only phones.
>

> The hand-held "old AMPS-only phones" did *not* have a 3-Watt output.

Eh? I thought it was 3 watts. I know it's more than the approximately half
a watt the current phones use.

August 8, 2004 5:21:41 AM

All handheld cellular devices were and are limited to .6W by the FCC.

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:wsmdnfLag7TlHojcRVn-gQ@lmi.net...
> D.J. Osborn <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
>
> >> Ahh, good point! I forgot that the CDMA/AMPS multi-mode phones don't do 3W
> >> like the old AMPS-only phones.
> >

> > The hand-held "old AMPS-only phones" did *not* have a 3-Watt output.
>
> Eh? I thought it was 3 watts. I know it's more than the approximately half
> a watt the current phones use.
>

> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
August 8, 2004 12:14:05 PM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> D.J. Osborn <dj_osborn@yahoooo.com> wrote:
>
> >> Ahh, good point! I forgot that the CDMA/AMPS multi-mode phones don't do
3W
> >> like the old AMPS-only phones.
> >

> > The hand-held "old AMPS-only phones" did *not* have a 3-Watt output.
>
> Eh? I thought it was 3 watts. I know it's more than the approximately half
> a watt the current phones use.

The only 3 watt transmitters were on "car phones" and the "ultraportable"
version with the car phone stuck in a carrying bag with a battery.

> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 9:17:03 PM

"Richard Ness" <richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote in message
> All handheld cellular devices were and are limited to .6W by the FCC.
>

> "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message

> > > The hand-held "old AMPS-only phones" did *not* have a 3-Watt output.
> >
> > Eh? I thought it was 3 watts. I know it's more than the approximately
half
> > a watt the current phones use.

-->Exactly. It's an FCC limitation and safety issue as well.

There are a lot of phones now though, that will only do 200 mW ,
mostly the all digital ( cdma ) models.

Scotty
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 6:32:33 PM

So does this mean that Verizon doesn't have this phone anymore, or can
you request that they try and locate this phone? A friend did something
like that back 18 months ago with a LG VX4400. He got them to find him
one, set him up with a local chip (or chip setting), and now he loves
the phone. It would be the phone I would want to get - external
display, tri-mode, color screen, ring tones, vbrate, etc.

Their new phones either seem to be very bare bones or loaded up with too
much stuff, or all digital - not quite me cup of tea!

Chris

Traveling Man wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 03:57:55 GMT, C C wrote:
>

>>Is the Motorola T730 for VZW? This phone is not even at the VZW website!
>>

> Yep. The T730c was sold by VZW until few months ago when they started
> pushing the fancy phones.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 7:50:03 PM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:32:33 GMT, USENET READER wrote:

> So does this mean that Verizon doesn't have this phone anymore, or can
> you request that they try and locate this phone? A friend did something
> like that back 18 months ago with a LG VX4400. He got them to find him
> one, set him up with a local chip (or chip setting), and now he loves
> the phone. It would be the phone I would want to get - external
> display, tri-mode, color screen, ring tones, vbrate, etc.
>
> Their new phones either seem to be very bare bones or loaded up with too
> much stuff, or all digital - not quite me cup of tea!
>
> Chris
>
> Traveling Man wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 03:57:55 GMT, C C wrote:
>>

>>>Is the Motorola T730 for VZW? This phone is not even at the VZW website!
>>>

>> Yep. The T730c was sold by VZW until few months ago when they started
>> pushing the fancy phones.

The T730c is still available at some dealers like Radio Shack.
eBay has some listed as well.
!