best a64 motherboard

paneb

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
hey guys
alright could anybody point me towards a very fast motherboard? i probably wont be overclocking anything, so i just need speed..as for features, the more the better :)
thanks for any tips..i will also be searching around

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Most A64 MB perform equally. Mostly because of the Athlon 64 integrated memory controller.

Any VIA K8T800, VIA K8T800 PRO and nForce3 250 wil perform equally. Even SiS755 chipset is performing well too. So, you should buy the MOBO that have all the features you need. The only "slow" chipset for Athlon 64 is the nForce3 150.

nVidia build themselves a very good reputation with the nForce2 chipset, personnaly I would probably get an nForce3 250 based MB and VIA would be a close second in my mind. If the price is good the VIA might become a better price/performance choice.

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
The "Best" I have seen is the MSI K8N Neo Platinum. It is coming out soon, uses the new NForce3 chipset, and has loads of features: integrated USB and Firewire, integrated audio, mixed-mode SATA/IDE RAID, gigabit ethernet w/integrated firewall, and it will mow your lawn.

Ok, the last one was a joke.

"The only way to overcome temptation is to yield to it" - Oscar Wilde

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>integrated USB and Firewire, integrated audio, mixed-mode SATA/IDE RAID, gigabit ethernet w/integrated firewall
</b>
If I'm not mistaken, they're <b><A HREF="http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20030917982606.html" target="_new"><font color=red>NForce3's standard</A></b></font color=red>? Meaning every NForce3 motherboard will have them.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nope, only the 250G chipset includes all of the above features. The standard Nforce 3-250 chipset does not.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
The chip has all those features, but most boards I've seen (chaintech and gigabyte) use external chips for RAID and ethernet. I imagine this is so they can print almost the same board using a different chipset, but f**k that!! I like the NForce3, I want my raid and ethernet through it.

WTB_a_clue

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
Anyone know the ETA on this board (Neo Platinum)? I was hoping to make my MB purchase within a week. What might be a good recommendation for the "next best" board for A64?

I personally only really care about Gigabit ethernet, and at least 4 USB 2.0 ports... anything else could be dropped or is just icing on the cake...

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No! I'm on the MSI auto-notify list, but I'm waiting too! I'm starting to wonder if they are having real problems. I have read the whole manual and it is impressive, but the D.O.T Corecell features are still too scary. I says right in the manual, can automatically adjust FSB, DDR timings, VDimm and Vcore to achieve best performance. VCore? Do you really want software overvolting your chip? Hmmmm!

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Yes, but you can disable it. Personally, I'm excited that this board implements cool n'quiet. Since my new comp will be in my bedroom, I don't want to go to sleep to the gentle sounds of a windstorm. Corecell could be cool, but with what I'm putting in there, why even bother trying to OC with a comp that'll cost $2000+? Once I have this one built, then I'll start torturing my AMD 1.2GHZ system.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
CoreCell is fine. If you disable D.O.T., you can still have it. But, it was my understanding that the new version would not mess with VCore voltages. Only a max 11% overclock that would not entail overvolting anything. There are people on MSIforum claiming that CoreCell cranked their VCore over 2 volts and blew the CPU out the side of the case! Not good! I'm not going to risk it. :frown:

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I thought corecell and DOT were 2 parts of the same thing, i.e. "Corecell" is the name of the chip on the mobo that actually OC's, and DOT is what you enable in the bios to allow the corecell to work at different OC levels (i.e. sergeant, commander, corporal and whatever).