Sign in with
Your question

Will multi threading an i7 help with gaming?

Last response: in Video Games
April 17, 2010 7:30:08 AM

I know some games use 3 cores, I haven't heard of any that use 4. So do any games benefit from multi threading? If some do, is it rare? I'm going to turn it off if the majority of gaming I do won't benefit from it.

More about : multi threading gaming

April 17, 2010 6:49:40 PM

How do you propose to turn multi-threading off?
April 18, 2010 8:26:14 AM

Are you talking about Hyperthreading? That would make more sense.

Anything that's using 2 or more cores is benefitting from multithreading.
Related resources
April 18, 2010 8:50:28 AM

Yeah I am, my mistake.

So any game that uses 2 or more cores benefits from multi threading?
April 18, 2010 7:44:44 PM

As of today, many games do not take advantage of Hyper Threading. They'l run just fine on 2 or 3 physical cores. However, in the future, the games are bound to become more CPU intensive. In such a scenario, they will benefit immensely from Hyper Threading. Hence, HT enabled processors like i7 series are better buys, for the long term.
In any case, even today, turning off Hyper Threading won't have any significant effect on the game in terms of load time or fps. It'l run neither better nor worse. All the top end games like Crysis, COD MW II, GTA IV can utilize upto 3 cores, with a small performance boost from the 4th physical core (if any).

@ Herr_Koos

"How do you propose to turn multi-threading off?"

You can do it from the bios.
April 19, 2010 9:35:15 AM

ksampanna said:
As of today, many games do not take advantage of Hyper Threading. They'l run just fine on 2 or 3 physical cores. However, in the future, the games are bound to become more CPU intensive. In such a scenario, they will benefit immensely from Hyper Threading. Hence, HT enabled processors like i7 series are better buys, for the long term.
In any case, even today, turning off Hyper Threading won't have any significant effect on the game in terms of load time or fps. It'l run neither better nor worse. All the top end games like Crysis, COD MW II, GTA IV can utilize upto 3 cores, with a small performance boost from the 4th physical core (if any).

@ Herr_Koos

"How do you propose to turn multi-threading off?"

You can do it from the bios.

Hyperthreading, yes. Multithreading, no. Unless you manually disable CPU cores.
April 19, 2010 10:41:43 AM

Really it shouldn't make a noticable difference.
April 19, 2010 12:48:53 PM

Whether or not it benefits from hyperthreading is entirely dependent on the workload.
!