Sign in with
Your question

This is the wierdest thing I have ever seen

Last response: in Motherboards
May 29, 2004 3:14:14 PM

I was not quite sure what category to put this under so I picked one that is frequented by many people. I just got a new case(Lian-Li PC-61 Black) I spent a while putting all my stuff into it and turn it on and the power goes on for about 3 seconds and then shuts off. It will not turn on again unless I flip the switch on the power supply off, then on and press the power button again. Doing so yields the same result.

So, I laid my case on its side to work on it thinking maybe the video card was not seated or something. I reseat my vid card and press the power button. It works! Except when it goes to load win2k it says there is an error with dll's. So, I figured I would just re-install windows. I turn on the computer and flip it so it is right side up again. (while it was posting and such) About 3 seconds after I turned it right side up it shuts off again.

Essentially whenever the case is on its side the computer runs fine. If it is right side up however, it won't post and shuts off after about 3 seconds. HELP? Any ideas anybody?

My system:

Athlon XP 2000
MSI 6590 mobo with via kt400 chipset
2 X 256mb PC3200 memory chips(kingston value ram)
thermaltake 430W ps
plextor 40x12x40 CDRW
aopen 16x DVD-ROM
4 80mm case fans
thermaltake volcano 7 cpu fan
linksys 10/100 nic
ATI radeon 9600 Pro vid card

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

More about : wierdest thing

May 29, 2004 3:17:33 PM

something is not grounded and it shorting the system out.

Not the Official Sicko of THG.
May 29, 2004 3:48:50 PM

Another thing to check is harddrive orientation. Do you have it "right side up" or maybe you mounted it vertically?
Related resources
May 29, 2004 5:41:22 PM

if you have to reset the power supply before it will turn on its a sign of a power supply thats going to fail. but one of my comps did that a few times when it overheated and its been fine ever since.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!
May 30, 2004 12:45:25 AM

Maybe you accidently left a stand off in the case behind the mother board that is near the AGP slot and when you stand your PC upright the weight of the 9800 flexes the mother board just enough to short it out? Good luck in any case.
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2004 5:25:42 AM

LOL, something most likely IS grounded, creating the short!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 30, 2004 4:40:32 PM

make sure you have the risers(the little gold pins in)... my friend had that problem and his solution was to get another heatsink but the heatsink was shorting it some how ?? lol... i'm pretty sure something is shorting it though...
May 30, 2004 5:55:07 PM

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I figured something was shorted, but at the same time was hoping it was something else. (I can tend to be a little lazy and do not feel like digging into my computer again. The case I got uses these square metal things to sit the motherboard on rather than the good old metal pins, so I probably just have one sitting incorrectly. Thanks again.
June 1, 2004 3:46:29 PM

I know what i meant, and so did you.

LOL anyway

Not the Official Sicko of THG.
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2004 5:20:38 PM

shush...we gotta keep the newbs straight too, you know their in here...wandering about...reading post...getting ideas. We wouldn't want to corrupt them...or maybe you would. Let me check that link of yours!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!