Intel Reveals New ''Canoe Lake'' Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
While it's a cool idea, it just doesn't seem that practical. Maybe use that extra width to make it comfortable, well ventilated, and strong? It really does look like a stray gust of wind will break the whole thing, never mind just the hinges, in half.

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation]Canoe Lake uses thermal cooling for Pine Trail netbooks instead of the traditional fan method[/citation]
Thermal cooling ?

Ware I live it can get very windy and this looks to be to light but that isn't to bad if all one wants to do is surf the net or read ebooks while waiting for an appointment. Waiting 3 hours at the local DMV isn't fun at all.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Okay, but ports still have a certain size as well, so this thing would lack any sort of standard ports. Take that condensed space and use it to fit more inside of it, maybe a respectable graphics card.
This is what I'd say netbook owners want most, a book that can play 1080p without a hiccup, not a book they can snap in half.

[citation][nom]freename[/nom]Who comes up with these names? Canoe Lake?Lol[/citation]

They tend to be named after an area that they were developed in. Canoe Lake seems like an area in Oregon since thats where one of Intels biggest FABs is located.

[citation][nom]lonepasserby[/nom]I'd rather an Atom that can match the power of a dual-core Athlon II.[/citation]

Sure. But a dual core Athlon II can't match Atom in battery life. Atoms game is not pure performance. Thats Core. Atoms is ULV. And so far nothing matches Atom at its performance and power usage.

I can see the applications of this for more than just Netbooks too. Being able to make something that thin would be q feat and probably work to produce very light and portable tablets that can be used in the science and medical field over a WiMAX network.

Now if anything, this is also powered by Intels Moorestown based Atom and if so, didn't THG do a review of the CPU and they said it was capable of decoding dual 1080P HD streams?

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
They gonna have to change the placard to "World's second 14mm netbook". Intel's still playing catchup in ULV land by a wide margin.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]They tend to be named after an area that they were developed in. Canoe Lake seems like an area in Oregon since thats where one of Intels biggest FABs is located.Sure. But a dual core Athlon II can't match Atom in battery life. Atoms game is not pure performance. Thats Core. Atoms is ULV. And so far nothing matches Atom at its performance and power usage.I can see the applications of this for more than just Netbooks too. Being able to make something that thin would be q feat and probably work to produce very light and portable tablets that can be used in the science and medical field over a WiMAX network.Now if anything, this is also powered by Intels Moorestown based Atom and if so, didn't THG do a review of the CPU and they said it was capable of decoding dual 1080P HD streams?[/citation]

That's not true, really. Core was not designed for pure performance, it was designed for performance/watt, and easily exceeds the Atom in that category.

Atom was not designed for performance per watt. By those standards, it's a failure. Another very important component is that it had to be very cheap to make. The Core line did not have as stringent parameters in that department.

So, the Core line offers much better performance per watt - that's what it was designed for. The Atom is low wattage and low cost, with performance being, at best, a tertiary consideration.

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Wow! That's crazy. Hopefully they'll still manage decent battery life being so thin. I'd be affraid of breaking the screen off, personally.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
And for the convenience, you will probably have to pay as much as it costs to get a basic CULV notebook with 5 times the power. Intel is their own worst enemy in the netbook market, they keep on pricing them above normal laptops. I sincerely hope this comes back to bite them in the ass real soon... Then maybe we can get back to the "affordable" part of the netbook scheme.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
This is cool but i really want info on bobcat! according to AMD it will have 90% of the mainstream cpu performance of today and can operate at

G

Can we finally get past netbooks? I want a laptop that doesn't suck at life...

Intel fanboys will tout Nehalem's occasional 10-20% superiority in real-world benchies over AMD as a "vast lead", and yet will go buy an Atom CPU that's comparable to a Pentium III. This is not progress.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I hope thermal cooling will be as efficient as being aided with a fan, even though copper is a good heat conduit, a fan needs to push out the residual hot air or it will just circulate within the thin laptop heating all the other components like the ssd, cpu, ram

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Is it just me or does that keyboard look like a photo of a keyboard and not an actual keyboard...

As for the ports someone mentioned, it appears to have a standard VGA port on the back so USB and such will all fit on this thing.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I agree with an earlier comment. Thin has gone far enough. Reasonably thin and very durable would be better. How thin do we need? Thin like a sheet of paper? lol We'll probably get an iSheet then :p I guess apple will have to move away from that naming convention before that. I can just see it.
Person1: What portable computing device do you use?
Person2: iSheet
Person3: How rude!

Status
Not open for further replies.