Having System shut down Need Help

OverlordManny

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
I am at wits end here. I have been experiencing system shutdowns for a while. I don't know what else to do.
Running Windows XP. I have a Shuttle MN31N MoBo. AMD 2600+ Thorobread w/stock cooling (not over-clocked). Leadtek GeForce 5600 Ultra (Not over-clocked). Maxtor 80 gig drive with os loaded and a Western Digital 40 gig drive. 1 gig ram Danelec. Running MBM 5 I see my system Idles at 45c - 52c. Under load it goes up to 70c or so. Too hot I'm sure. I have three case fans 1 on side blowing in, 2 in the rear blowing out. My sys starts fine but after running 3d apps for a while i get shutdown and restart. This happens often and is driving me insane. I have removed the 5600U and am now using the GeForce 4mx included on the board, still having shutdown issues. Temps still the same since removing the 5600U. Any ideas?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Those temps do sound a bit high, especially if you're not overclocking. Have you removed and remounted your CPU heat sink/fan? If you used the stock AMD cooler and left the little gummy pad on the bottom, scrape it off and get some heat paste and remount it. That should bring your CPU temps down.

Also check to make sure you are running proper CPU voltage. I think that chip uses 1.65 volts.

Finally, make sure you don't have one of those nasty viruses that likes to shut your computer down. Run a virus check and make sure you have all the Windows security updates (I'm assuming you're running Windows...)

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!