Sign in with
Your question

Low FPS, Good System

Last response: in Video Games
April 18, 2010 5:50:04 PM

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm experiencing low FPS while playing any of the PC games I own. In Team Fortress 2, my base FPS is 30- in heavy combat, it can drop as low as 10. I've tried lowering all of my settings, but always end up with an idling FPS of around thirty. I make sure I have no background programs running while I game, and I check the task manager to make sure nothing might be taking up more than its share.
Specs here:
AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70 2.00 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Windows Vista, 32-bit Operating System
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
ATI HDMI Audio

It's a gaming laptop, and I bought it so that I could get away from the low fps computer I was using previously- so this is a little frustrating. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jess

More about : low fps good system

April 20, 2010 1:54:26 PM

Well, maybe back in 2007 it was a good chip, but even the old Athlon X2 64 chips are better than the Turion.

Gaming on a laptop is not always the best solution. Heck, it's cheaper to buy a desktop than it is most laptops due to the hardware in laptops being more expensive.

I understand the niceties of being able to go mobile with your games, but a Turion won't be able to handle today's games. Also, the integrated graphics are not always the best. An ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 is WAY below the performance capacity of say an HD 3870 in a desktop, and I mean, WAY below.

Also, most integrated video cards in a laptop (and a desktop for that matter) do NOT have a lot, if any, dedicated graphics memory like your PCIe cards do. Therefore, they have to share the system memory which means both your OS and your video card are use the 4 gigs of RAM you have in your machine, which means more swapping, which means lowering frame rates and hurting performance, especially when gaming.

As for getting 30 fps, that's probably the best you'll get with the laptop.

Remember, laptop components are built to have low power consumption, including the CPU as well as the integrated graphics card. They are not meant for speed but rather sacrifice some speed for power saving efficiency.

April 25, 2010 7:23:16 PM

I can confirm this. The performane of a laptop will underperform a desktop with the same components.

The CPU is quite weak for today's standards and the 3650 was never good.
April 27, 2010 5:27:42 PM

Doctor Jess said:
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm experiencing low FPS while playing any of the PC games I own. In Team Fortress 2, my base FPS is 30- in heavy combat, it can drop as low as 10. I've tried lowering all of my settings, but always end up with an idling FPS of around thirty. I make sure I have no background programs running while I game, and I check the task manager to make sure nothing might be taking up more than its share.
Specs here:
AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70 2.00 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Windows Vista, 32-bit Operating System
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
ATI HDMI Audio

It's a gaming laptop, and I bought it so that I could get away from the low fps computer I was using previously- so this is a little frustrating. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jess

well im not sure how old this is. but these parts such as the Turion and graphics card you have are pritty outdated.
!