Velpecula

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004
Asus K8VSE DELUXE motherboard, about 2 weeks old. I flashed my BIOS per Asus' instructions using their EZFlash utility. It started reading files on the floppy, then I got a message "failed to flash". Now when I boot the computer, I get their audible POST message " system failed cpu test", repeating over and over. Nothing on monitor. I have tried booting with every boot disc I have (ASUS cd, Norton emergency boot floppy disc, PartitionMagic boot floppy disc, etc.) with no change at all. Light on CDRom comes on for a few seconds then goes off. Light on floppy never comes on. Also tried pulling the battery and clearing the RTC with the jumper. Still waiting for Asus Support to answer my email. Any ideas? When will I learn, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. It has worked fine for the last 2 weeks until I thought I needed the "new and improved" BIOS.

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
can you get another floppy with the updated BIOS on it? You could also try and get a new BIOS from yopur mobo manufacturer (maybe for a small fee).

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
1GB DDR333
R9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG DVD+-R/RW
WIN2K PRO SP4

Velpecula

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions, Sparky. I contacted ASUS (the holiday just made me wait longer than I wanted to). They will send me a new chip, or I can send my chip in and they will flash it for me--For a fee! The board is only 2 weeks old, seems like the warrenty should cover it. If it doesn't, I'll pay the fee and scratch them off my list when I start upgrading my second computer.

This is my first time posting here, but I have gotten lots of useful info from this forum. Thanks for the help.

AMD Atholon 64 3400+
ASUS K8VSE Deluxe
2 X 512GB DDR400
ATI R9800XT
WD 160GB HDD
2 X WD 74GB Raptors RAID 0
Plextor DVD+R/RW
WinXP SP1

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I got a K7N2 Delta-ILSR from MSI and overclocked it too far, no matter what I did I couldn't clear BIOS. I've heard from various places that there is actually a problem with some of those boards where part of the BIOS settings is stored in Flash RAM and can't be reset...anyway, they sent me a new chip free, without even asking for proof of purchase! I was impressed! These chips generally cost around $15 each if you buy them singly, so I kept the old chip around for hot flashing!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Velpecula

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004
Hi Crashman. My biggest headache was just getting in touch with the right people at Asus. Their technician transferred me to their "BIOS" dept and I get their voice mail right off the bat. Left my name and number and waited. Then waited some more. Every time I called I got voice mail. They did finally call me back. It was then I found out "call block" was ON on my phone. Apparently, they have their "caller id" blocked, so my "call block" blocked them. I got "call block" and turned it on about 3 years ago and forgot about it, this is the first time I had any problem with it. Finally got through to them, they sent me a chip free, with me paying overnight shipping. Back up and running with no problems changing the chip and booting up again. Of course, had to set everything in BIOS again, but that's not a problem. They want the old chip back since the warranty is covering it.

Someday I may start trying some overclocking on my system, but think I'll leave things at default untill I learn more about it and can pay for my mistakes.

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen you all over this forum. I think you're one of the ones who warned about Asus support. The way I see it, a good product is only 50% of the sale, good support is the other 50%.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus's support is mediocre, I've seen worse. The best board companies I've delt with were Abit and MSI.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>