Sign in with
Your question

All Games Stutter

Last response: in Video Games
April 19, 2010 4:08:14 AM

So I built a new computer not too long ago and it seems every game I install/play stutters or pauses for half a second on a regular basis. The game will be running fine at high FPS and suddenly it will pause or stutter, then it will continue at a high FPS. This stuttering happens during all games, from Titan Quest to Crysis. Games like Aliens vs Predator and Crysis stutter constantly in areas with a lot of activity (i.e. lots of enemies, buildings, explosions, etc.), and are usually okay during less intense sequences, however games like Torchlight and Titan Quest stutter randomly and without an apparent cause. All these games I am running on High - Ultra, depending on the game, and at 1920 x 1080.

To give you an idea of what is happening during play theres a video (not mine).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4CTsbBDoUE
The same situation happens to me but not just in Crysis, but in every game. The same type of stuttering seen in the video is almost identical to what I experience during Aliens vs Predator, and other similar first person shooters.

The specs are:

Intel Core i7 950 Quad-Core 3.06GHz
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler (RR-UV8-XBU1-GP)
OCZ (OCZ3G1600LV6GK) DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold 6GB
EVGA X58 SLI (132-BL-E758-A1)
Western Digital VelociRaptor (WD1500HLFS)
LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Case
EVGA GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked x2 (SLI)
Thermaltake Toughpower VGA Power Express 650W (running both video cards)
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit (OEM)
Mushkin (550150) XP-650AP 650W ATX Enhanced
CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler

So far I have run Memtest86+ and a HDD check. Both concluded with 0 errors. I also have tried multiple drivers with no luck, so I'm almost positive it's not software related.
Both cards run at about 53C during games on average.

Thanks, and any insight would be appreciated.

More about : games stutter

April 19, 2010 4:53:07 AM

Check the voltage on your memory. 6gigs, you may need to bump it a little. Also check that it's running the right latency and speed.

Secondly, I think nvidia has something called enhancer. It's used to over clock video cards. Install it and use it to down clock the clocks. They ( memory on the video card/s ) may be unstable at higher speeds.

Heat coming off the bottom card may be being sucked into the top card causing problems. Did you try running one card in the top slot and then swapping it out for the other card so you can see if it's either one of the cards ?
m
l
April 19, 2010 11:37:34 AM

Both the memory voltage and the latencies are set correctly. I also tested both cards separately in the top slot with no luck. I still have to try down clocking the cards.
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2010 11:49:45 AM

Something to consider. I have 3 GTX260's. 2 are 896 memory one is 1792 memory. The 2 - 896- cards either running alone or in sli cannot perform as well as the one with the 1792 memory in Crysis. There just isn't enough video memory. ( in sli 896+896 does not = 1792 ) Have you tried lowering your settings at all ?
m
l
April 19, 2010 6:01:20 PM

Have you tried backing off on settings? You said you were seeing stuttering in all games but you've only listed recent titles.

Have you tried showing the FPS in game and paying attention to it? Fraps will do it for just about any game. You have a good lookin rig, but modern games can still do that if you try maxing everything out like that. On occasion its just a driver issue/game patch problem.

The other likely suspects are heat dissipation (you may have insufficient cooling, your parts might be overheating) and electrical load. You might have dirty power at that outlet (or your PSU could be poor). Best way to check that problem is to borrow/buy a UPS and plug your computer into that.
m
l
April 19, 2010 7:02:51 PM

I checked out the FPS for most of the games and it will be running at a solid 50 FPS then it will pause and the continue at 50 FPS. I see no drop in frame rate and it only freezes up for a short time. As for the settings, even when I turn the video settings down the problem still occurs, but to a slightly lesser extent. Also it wouldn't make sense if it were the settings, as it runs at a very high frame rate, then pauses without any decline in frame rate or slowdown, and continues again at a high frame rate. I'm almost sure it is not due to high settings.

Keep in mind this isn't just Crysis. The problem persists in every game, even games like Titan Quest and Rome Total War that are not recent titles and should not take that much of both my GPUs.

As for drivers, I have tried almost every video driver I could find, resulting in either a BSOD (for older drivers) or with the stuttering. Both cards run fairly cool in game as well, so I do not think heat is an issue.

Another thing I do notice is often when I am running a game without any visable stuttering, I will be directed out of my game to an alert that says "Windows has detected your computer's performance is slow", which is odd as I freshly installed windows a matter of days ago and my hardware is high-end in my opinion.

I also tested both cards and they have 0 errors. I also tried each card seperately, and the problem persists. It makes me wonder if it is another piece of hardware, possibly my CPU.

My $3200 investment isn't turning out so well :fou: , hoping to get this resolved. I have yet to try down clocking the cards, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help so far.
m
l
April 20, 2010 2:08:51 AM

Did you try increasing virtual memory ? And services/start up..... start turning stuff off that you don't need or would hurt gaming on start up.
m
l
!