PCchips MB incompatible with Geforce AGP card???

G

I need help...and i am not sure if this is the right place, but...

i have a PC Chips MB, model 810 with the SiS 730 chipset made by Amptron. It has an onboard AGP graphics chip that shares memory.

So, i decided it was time to change that, and ordered a Geforce Ti4200 128MB 4x AGP card (which i am very pleased with in my other PC)

After installing and booting WINDOWS 98se it found the new hardward, asked for the drivers, i fed it the CD and did the reboot.

Well, Windows now gives the "While initializing device IOS; Windows Protection Error" without completing the boot process...

I can reboot in "safe mode" and i can remove the card and set the computer back to the onboard AGP and it is fine...ARGH!!!!

Any suggestion are much appreciated!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it's compatable. You probably need to load some special driver files for your SiS chipset. Maybe you're having a power issue, but it sounds like a driver issue.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Have you dissabled your on board graphics card in BIOS or via a jumper?

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>

G

well, thanks fellas for your ideas...

i got it working and i will tell you how...

it is not a Power issue...it seems that is a poplular suggestion around here, but no, it is not the issue.

it was not a driver issue, although a close guess...

yes, i had disabled the graphic card in bios...

i asked a local friend also, a day after my post...

upon his suggestion, i rooted out every startup program in the msconfig, startup file except systray...(i had also previously uninstalled Norton Antivirus which seems to have to be done before any hardware is added)

then i removed the graphics driver for the onboard AGP out of the Windows System, Device Manager (they were conflicting)

then i shut down, put the new card back in, rebooted, switched the primary graphics to pci/agp in bios, and let windows load up...

my local friend also suggested not allow the Windows Automatic hardware installer do the drivers from the CD, but to cancel it and run the install program on the CD...

i can't remember if i did this or not, i know i ran it after windows started, but windows already had the files on the HD, so maybe it found em first...

thanks again...