Phone lock defeated easily

Last response: in Network Providers
August 5, 2004 12:27:28 AM

At least true for LG VX4400, if you have a VZW cell phone that is locked,
just do an OTA programming to reset the lock back to the last 4 digit of the
phone number. You can then unlock the phone if you know its phone number.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:27:29 AM

P T Wang wrote:
> At least true for LG VX4400, if you have a VZW cell phone that is
> locked, just do an OTA programming to reset the lock back to the last
> 4 digit of the phone number. You can then unlock the phone if you
> know its phone number.

errr...

1) VZW doesn't lock their phones? programming passwd is "000000"?
2) You can't do OTA if the passwd is something other than "000000"?

I could be wrong.
-Quick
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:45:01 AM

> errr...
>
> 1) VZW doesn't lock their phones? programming passwd is "000000"?
> 2) You can't do OTA if the passwd is something other than "000000"?

I meant the 4-digit phone lock, not the subsidy lock.
August 5, 2004 2:45:02 AM

"P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> wrote in message

> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > errr...
> >
> > 1) VZW doesn't lock their phones? programming passwd is "000000"?
> > 2) You can't do OTA if the passwd is something other than "000000"?
>
> I meant the 4-digit phone lock, not the subsidy lock.

Pages 20, 31 & 94 explain how to lock & unlock the phone to prevent others
from using it.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:45:03 AM

IMHO wrote:
> "P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> errr...
>>>
>>> 1) VZW doesn't lock their phones? programming passwd is "000000"?
>>> 2) You can't do OTA if the passwd is something other than "000000"?
>>
>> I meant the 4-digit phone lock, not the subsidy lock.
>>

> Pages 20, 31 & 94 explain how to lock & unlock the phone to prevent
> others from using it.

So if the phone is locked and you don't know the code can you still
dial *228?

-Quick
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:45:04 AM

> IMHO wrote:
> > "P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> I meant the 4-digit phone lock, not the subsidy lock.
> >>

> > Pages 20, 31 & 94 explain how to lock & unlock the phone to prevent
> > others from using it.
>
> So if the phone is locked and you don't know the code can you still
> dial *228?
>
> -Quick

YES! After the programming is complete the phone Cycles off & on.
When it comes back on it is still locked.
BUT - the password is now the last four digits of the phone number.
This is regardless of what code you set before the update.
Sounds weird but that is the way both of mine work.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:45:04 AM

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:12:45 -0700, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>So if the phone is locked and you don't know the code can you still
>dial *228?

Not on any phone that I've ever seen. If a phone is locked, it
disallows any call but 911.

Evan
August 5, 2004 2:45:05 AM

IMHO wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> IMHO wrote:
>>> "P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> wrote in message

>>> Pages 20, 31 & 94 explain how to lock & unlock the phone to prevent
>>> others from using it.
>>
>> So if the phone is locked and you don't know the code can you still
>> dial *228?
>>
>> -Quick
>>

> YES! After the programming is complete the phone Cycles off & on.
> When it comes back on it is still locked.
> BUT - the password is now the last four digits of the phone number.
> This is regardless of what code you set before the update.
> Sounds weird but that is the way both of mine work.

Wow... I suppose that would lock out my 6 yr old. And I suppose
you would know after the fact that somebody had used your phone
because your password changed. Sounds like a bug to me (or a useless
feature).

-Quick

-Quick
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:45:06 AM

> IMHO wrote:
> > "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> So if the phone is locked and you don't know the code can you still
> >> dial *228?
> >>
> >> -Quick
> >>

> > YES! After the programming is complete the phone Cycles off & on.
> > When it comes back on it is still locked.
> > BUT - the password is now the last four digits of the phone number.
> > This is regardless of what code you set before the update.
> > Sounds weird but that is the way both of mine work.
>
> Wow... I suppose that would lock out my 6 yr old. And I suppose
> you would know after the fact that somebody had used your phone
> because your password changed. Sounds like a bug to me (or a useless
> feature).
>
> -Quick
>
> -Quick

Confused the hell out of me the first time.
I had changed the lock code - then after doing a PRL update it did not work.
That is when I found out about this, as you said "useless feature".
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 3:10:00 AM

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 19:52:40 -0500, "IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote:

>That is when I found out about this, as you said "useless feature".

A perfectly valid feature (resetting a code in case you forget), but
ill-implemented, and not thought through at all. PM&D dropped the
ball on this one. They should have caught this during testing.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 4:39:00 AM

"Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:12:45 -0700, "Quick"
> <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >So if the phone is locked and you don't know the code can you still
> >dial *228?
>
> Not on any phone that I've ever seen. If a phone is locked, it
> disallows any call but 911.
>
> Evan
> --
> To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.

The two LG VX4400 I have definitely do.
Find one and try it out.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 5:27:50 AM

> IMHO wrote:
> > "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> So if the phone is locked and you don't know the code can you still
> >> dial *228?
> >>
> >> -Quick
> >>

> > YES! After the programming is complete the phone Cycles off & on.
> > When it comes back on it is still locked.
> > BUT - the password is now the last four digits of the phone number.
> > This is regardless of what code you set before the update.
> > Sounds weird but that is the way both of mine work.
>
> Wow... I suppose that would lock out my 6 yr old. And I suppose
> you would know after the fact that somebody had used your phone
> because your password changed. Sounds like a bug to me (or a useless
> feature).

Can this happen on other models or are we still talking about LG phones?

Here are a few ways to make it more resistant to the *228 technique. I won't
go into details.
1. Change the MSL.
Downside: Can't use *228 (confirmed)
Workaround: Data cable (confirmed)
2. If your NAM2 is unprogrammed, switching to it should prevent the use of
*228 (in theory)
Downside: Can't use the phone
Workaround: Data cable
3. Guard your phone and don't program costy things into it such as
international dialing, calling cards with passwords, etc.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 5:27:51 AM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:27:50 GMT, "P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com>
wrote:

>Can this happen on other models or are we still talking about LG phones?

Most phones have ways of resetting the code, although using *228 to do
it was assinine. Do you know what other carriers offer this model? I
wonder if the reset code was set to their PRL update numbers, too.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 6:17:44 AM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:27:50 GMT, P T Wang wrote:

> Can this happen on other models or are we still talking about LG phones?

My old Samsung did it too.
August 5, 2004 4:16:34 PM

"IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<VJjQc.19003$wC3.5496@okepread07>...
> "Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:12:45 -0700, "Quick"
> > <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > >So if the phone is locked and you don't know the code can you still
> > >dial *228?
> >
> > Not on any phone that I've ever seen. If a phone is locked, it
> > disallows any call but 911.
> >
> > Evan
> > --
> > To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.
> >

> The two LG VX4400 I have definitely do.
> Find one and try it out.

My new Samsung A-650 says "phone locked, emergency calls only" when
trying *228 from a locked phone.

Dave
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 4:49:32 PM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 19:52:40 -0500, "IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> That is when I found out about this, as you said "useless feature".
>
> A perfectly valid feature (resetting a code in case you forget), but
> ill-implemented, and not thought through at all. PM&D dropped the
> ball on this one. They should have caught this during testing.

Doesn't sound like a testing issue. If they allow dialing *228 when
the phone is locked in order to reset the password then it was
probably intentional.

-Quick
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 11:54:41 PM

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:49:32 -0700, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 19:52:40 -0500, "IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>>> That is when I found out about this, as you said "useless feature".
>>
>> A perfectly valid feature (resetting a code in case you forget), but
>> ill-implemented, and not thought through at all. PM&D dropped the
>> ball on this one. They should have caught this during testing.
>
>Doesn't sound like a testing issue. If they allow dialing *228 when
>the phone is locked in order to reset the password then it was
>probably intentional.

Maybe they simply forgot to test it in that manner. After 26 years of
programming, I've had my fair share of screwups, too.;-)
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 7:53:03 AM

The VX4500 remains lock even after *228 -> 1 or 2

"Dave" <djousma@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> "IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > "Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message

> > > Not on any phone that I've ever seen. If a phone is locked, it
> > > disallows any call but 911.
> > >
> > > Evan
> > > --
> > > To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.
> > >

> > The two LG VX4400 I have definitely do.
> > Find one and try it out.
>

> My new Samsung A-650 says "phone locked, emergency calls only" when
> trying *228 from a locked phone.
>
> Dave
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 8:14:14 AM

"C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> The VX4500 remains lock even after *228 -> 1 or 2

Did you do *228 while the phone is locked?
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 7:22:12 AM

> "C C" <someone@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > The VX4500 remains lock even after *228 -> 1 or 2
>
> Did you do *228 while the phone is locked?

Yes, I did. It remained locked after the *228 programming.
BUT, the lock code changed back to the last four digits
of my phone number!
!