Computer refuse to turn OFF

bikeme74

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
Hi There,

I have a Pentium III 800 MHZ with Windows Me installed. The computer refuse to turn off. I did the normal Start>Turn Off Computer>Turn Off.....but it's still ON. I wait for 15 minutes, and it's still on. The Power LED light and Hard Drive LED light on the computer tower are off/not blinking anymore, but my computer fans are still spinning normal (fan lights are still lit). The monitor looks like it's turn off (black), but the monitor LED indicator light is still green (video signal still feeding the monitor???).

Anyways to turn my computer REALLY off (no more power to the computer) I have to press the computer power button for 4 seconds. What's going on and how do I fix this problem? Please help. Before, I just do my normal turning off, my computer tower automatically shut down, my monitor turns off, monitor indicator lights turn green to orange, and I manually press the monitor power button. All takes about 10-15 seconds.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
When stuff like that happens to me I just reinstall. I don't mean reformat ect. Just install over the existing WinME installation. I've never lost any data etc.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's normally caused by a configuration issue. I just had two systems act that way with a new installation, it turned out to be a problem with the ISA LAN card, which I swapped for a PCI LAN card.

I don't know which part on your system is causing the configuration issue.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bikeme74

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
So how does one solve this configuration issue? Should I move my PCI cards around? I do have a few empty slots. I don't have ISA cards.

This is driving me crazy. The computer just refuse to turn off/power down!!! Aaahhh!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, by all means, try changing your cards around until the thing either works right or you are forced to conceed!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Also try checking your device manager, make sure you have the ACPI compliant drivers installed. They are listed unter the Computer section of Device Manager. Also make sure there are no yellow exclamation or question marks, which indicate problems with the installed devices/drivers.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW

RichPLS

Champion
Man thats great! Windows usually has no problem shutting off, to have one that keeps on going tho, that is exceptional!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
<A HREF="http://www.users.qwest.net/~ekooper/hitanykeytocontinue.jpg" target="_new"> This is how I usually do it! </A>

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

a_killjoy

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
I had a similiar problem in that mine kept rebooting when I tried to shutdown, the 'solution' was to change the power saving options on the monitor. I cannot remember from what to what so just try changeing it.