Sign in with
Your question

GTA 4 - PLEASE HELP!!

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
April 19, 2010 4:13:18 PM

Hi, i bought gta 4 for ps3 and for my pc a few months after the release. i have recently been playing it and trying to get the graphics options to full as i think my pc should be able to handle no problem.
here are my specs:-

i7 cpu 920 2.67GHz
6.00 GB ram x64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 - 3688mb

my problem is i can run it in high settings but i want it higher its only letting me use around 700 - 800mb of graphics memory, when i have forced it to go to full specs my FPS drops from around 40-50 to 15-18 maybe a little higher when nothing is happening.

i also have just updated my pc today from vista to windows 7 as i have seen it improve people gaming performances and FPS but i just wasted £60 because its done nothing

I would really be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this or tell me if my pc is just basiclly not good enough.

Thanks

More about : gta

April 19, 2010 4:40:13 PM

tlg91 said:
Hi, i bought gta 4 for ps3 and for my pc a few months after the release. i have recently been playing it and trying to get the graphics options to full as i think my pc should be able to handle no problem.
here are my specs:-

i7 cpu 920 2.67GHz
6.00 GB ram x64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 - 3688mb

my problem is i can run it in high settings but i want it higher its only letting me use around 700 - 800mb of graphics memory, when i have forced it to go to full specs my FPS drops from around 40-50 to 15-18 maybe a little higher when nothing is happening.

i also have just updated my pc today from vista to windows 7 as i have seen it improve people gaming performances and FPS but i just wasted £60 because its done nothing

I would really be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this or tell me if my pc is just basiclly not good enough.

Thanks

Well, the gtx 260 only has 896mb of graphics memory, so you're using nearly all of it.
April 19, 2010 4:50:14 PM

when i use the dxdiag from the start menu it tells me this:

Name: NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce GTX 260
DAC Type: Intergrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 3688 MB
Current Display Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: HP W1907 Wide LCD Monitor

thats were i got the 3688mb from and thats my computer scanning its own hardware so i was just telling you what my computer is telling you
Related resources
April 19, 2010 5:04:46 PM

Well The highest amount of graphics memory is 2gb currently on the eyefinity ATI 58xx cards i believe. I highly doubt that your old 260 has nearly twice as much as those.

Its probably because your graphics card can steal some of your system ram, and dxdiag counts that as well.
April 19, 2010 6:04:24 PM

That's because part of that 3688 MB is your system memory. When you up your graphics and if you go above what the game recommends, you start eating up your system memory hence the reason you see your frame rates drop.
!