Wireless router makes sound :)

Hi,

I just got my wireless router and set up the network, everything seems to
work fine, I am just wondering if it is normal that the router is not
silent. It makes some constant beep, very high tone, not loud at all, only
possible to hear when it is quiet around. But still...it makes sound :)
Anybody knows why and if it is ok?

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:39:58 +0200, "MFY" <nospam@no.spam> wrote:

>I just got my wireless router and set up the network, everything seems to
>work fine, I am just wondering if it is normal that the router is not
>silent. It makes some constant beep, very high tone, not loud at all, only
>possible to hear when it is quiet around. But still...it makes sound :)
>Anybody knows why and if it is ok?

It's not normal and I have a guess(tm). Many routers use highly
efficient switching power supplies. Look for an LM25xx regulator in a
TO-3 package. Nearby is an inductor (coil) that is part of the
regulator circuit. If the windings are loose, or the core is cracked,
it will make some noise. The switcher operates at up to 150KHz, so
your listening to some sub-resonant induced vibration. A little wax
or hot melt glue should stop the noise.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:39:58 +0200, "MFY" <nospam@no.spam> wrote:
>
>>I just got my wireless router and set up the network, everything seems to
>>work fine, I am just wondering if it is normal that the router is not
>>silent. It makes some constant beep, very high tone, not loud at all, only
>>possible to hear when it is quiet around. But still...it makes sound :)
>>Anybody knows why and if it is ok?
>
> It's not normal and I have a guess(tm). Many routers use highly
> efficient switching power supplies. Look for an LM25xx regulator in a
> TO-3 package. Nearby is an inductor (coil) that is part of the
> regulator circuit. If the windings are loose, or the core is cracked,
> it will make some noise. The switcher operates at up to 150KHz, so
> your listening to some sub-resonant induced vibration. A little wax
> or hot melt glue should stop the noise.

Does the sound come from the router or the power supply?
If it is the power supply you may replace it. Make sure to use one with the
right polarization, voltage and enough power. Most routers need about 10W.

In case it comes from the route: it's maybe the best idea to bring it back
to the dealer. Waxing or glueing it should do at least one thing: void your
warranty.

Thomas

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:39:58 +0200, "MFY" <nospam@no.spam> wrote:

>I just got my wireless router and set up the network, everything seems to
>work fine, I am just wondering if it is normal that the router is not
>silent. It makes some constant beep, very high tone, not loud at all, only
>possible to hear when it is quiet around. But still...it makes sound :)
>Anybody knows why and if it is ok?

Looks like routers aren't the only thing that make noises.
This is from the Efficient Networks 5360 ADSL modem, which apparently
makes a "hissing" sound:
http://kb.efficient.com/display/1n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=45394&r=0.4748346

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

> Does the sound come from the router or the power supply?
> If it is the power supply you may replace it. Make sure to use one with
> the
> right polarization, voltage and enough power. Most routers need about 10W.
>
> In case it comes from the route: it's maybe the best idea to bring it back
> to the dealer. Waxing or glueing it should do at least one thing: void
> your
> warranty.

I also thought it wasn't best idea to 'dig' inside it as it is very new.
Yep, the sound comes from the inside of the router. (D-Link DI-624)
So, you guys claim that the router should be completely 100% silent?
If so I will contct the dealer.

MFY wrote:

> Yep, the sound comes from the inside of the router. (D-Link DI-624)
> So, you guys claim that the router should be completely 100% silent?
> If so I will contct the dealer.

My DI-624+ is silent. A constant noise may be caused by a bad capacitor. In
worst cases it may explore, which doesn't mean it will blow up the router,
but it will mess it up with the liquid inside.

Thomas

> Looks like routers aren't the only thing that make noises.
> This is from the Efficient Networks 5360 ADSL modem, which apparently
> makes a "hissing" sound:
> http://kb.efficient.com/display/1n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=45394&r=0.4748346

I am still very confused :| Before I go back to the dealer I would like to
be sure that the sound means that something is not completely right.
Is the router also retraining some connection as in the case of the modem?
Is there any real reason for it to make the sound?

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:08:40 +0200, "MFY" <nospam@no.spam> wrote:

>> Looks like routers aren't the only thing that make noises.
>> This is from the Efficient Networks 5360 ADSL modem, which apparently
>> makes a "hissing" sound:
>> http://kb.efficient.com/display/1n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=45394&r=0.4748346

>I am still very confused :| Before I go back to the dealer I would like to
>be sure that the sound means that something is not completely right.
>Is the router also retraining some connection as in the case of the modem?
>Is there any real reason for it to make the sound?

No. There is no real or imaginary reason for it to make noise. As
the article:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/hissing.htm
points out, it's not going to explode or start a fire. However, it is
annoying and should not be tolerated. Methinks it's the result of
sloppy component construction (loose inductor windings) and not a
"free running" frequency design issue as the article states. All these
switching power supplies free run as none of them contain anything
resembling a clock oscillator. However, they do change frequency with
different loads and input voltages and may eventually hit the
mechanical resonance of the inductor. That's what you're hearing.
The bad news is that if you exchange it for another unit, there's a
very good chance that it might have the same problem. Since it's a
mechanical issue, it could easily become worse as the inductor loosens
up. The only way to be sure is to try it in the store.

In the case of the Efficient 5360, the noise is also coming from the
switching power supply. However, the article is misleading as
claiming that it's caused by retraining. What's really happening is
that during retraining, the power supply load changes somewhat,
possibly because more LED's are flashing, and that causes power supply
inductor to get noisier.

I have a customer nearby that claimed she could hear the switching
power supply in a desktop computah. It was a custom made P4-2.4GHz in
an ATX box. Nobody else could hear a thing. However, as she was
insistent, I rotated 7 different ATX power supplies through the box,
to see if it helped. I built a rather crude electret microphone,
amplifier, and ultrasonic high pass filter and connected it to my
oscilloscope. As predicted, each power supply belched quite a bit of
ultrasonic acoustic noise, with radical variations in spectrum and
intensity. The power supply she selected was noticeably quieter.

Having declared success, I was then informed that the fan noise was
now a problem. I bit of trial and much error (broken fan blade, cut
finger) showed that the noise was the stock Intel P4 CPU fan. I
ordered an assortment of P4 heatsink and fan assemblies and ran the
same series of tests. I didn't care about audible noise and
concentrated on the ultrasonics. I finally found a huge copper heat
pipe contraption, that had a vertically mounted fan. The conventional
horizontally (parallel to the CPU) mounted fan forces the air to make
a right angle turn where it hits the heat sink. With a little effort,
this can make a fair whistle between the fins. The vertically mounted
fan doesn't have this problem as the air goes in a straight line.
Ultrasonics were way down and I had a satisfied customer (and an
eclectic collection of heat sinks).

I live in the deep dark forest in the Santa Cruz mountains. It's so
quiet that I can have a conversation with the neighbors 100ft away
without shouting. Little noises become a major irritation. My PIII
computah is water cooled but the aquarium pump is still too noisy.
The fridge is on a timer that turns off at night. Buzzing wall warts
have been replaced. Methinks the silence is worth it. (As I write,
the neighbor has elected Sunday morning to be a good time to remove a
large stump with a chain saw. Oh well.)

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

My netgear gw511t also makes noise. So have many of my just plain normal
10/100 lan cards. I think I just hear very high pictched sounds. Maybe you
just have super acute hearing?

"MFY" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message news:ckb57r$mpg$1@news.onet.pl...

> > Looks like routers aren't the only thing that make noises.
> > This is from the Efficient Networks 5360 ADSL modem, which apparently
> > makes a "hissing" sound:

http://kb.efficient.com/display/1n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=45394&r=0.474
8346

> I am still very confused :| Before I go back to the dealer I would like to
> be sure that the sound means that something is not completely right.
> Is the router also retraining some connection as in the case of the modem?
> Is there any real reason for it to make the sound?

> My DI-624+ is silent. A constant noise may be caused by a bad capacitor.
> In
> worst cases it may explore, which doesn't mean it will blow up the router,
> but it will mess it up with the liquid inside.

I have just read a following text:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/hissing.htm
But still not sure wether it is my case. If your router is silent, does it
mean that my sould be too?

Thanks for all advises :)

> My netgear gw511t also makes noise. So have many of my just plain normal
> 10/100 lan cards. I think I just hear very high pictched sounds. Maybe you
> just have super acute hearing?

I don't know about my hearing :) The worst thing is that I can't consult it
with anyone right now, because I am home alone as my husband is abroad :)
BTW if I knew that the sound is ok then it would be a lot less annoying ;).
The sound is prety quiet and can hear it only from 1-1,5 meter when it is
completely silent around.

jeff

Howdy:

I have a DLink DI-624. Makes a high-pitched noise, similar to a TV
set. Not loud... but caused me a headache after a while. Unit was
sitting near me, but I've moved it into another room. I've read about
others hearing this noise in a few other places online.

Other than that, I've been pretty happy with the unit. No problems
with disconnections, as so many others have mentioned. Running XP Pro
with Intel 2200BG wireless.

best,
jeff

"MFY" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message news:<ck61qn$fc9$1@news.onet.pl>...
> Hi,
>
> I just got my wireless router and set up the network, everything seems to
> work fine, I am just wondering if it is normal that the router is not
> silent. It makes some constant beep, very high tone, not loud at all, only
> possible to hear when it is quiet around. But still...it makes sound :)
> Anybody knows why and if it is ok?

I, too, have a DI-624, however, it is not making any noise of the kind.
You might want to have it replaced. Did you notify D-Link about the
noise? Just curious.

leqid@yahoo.com (jeff) wrote in

> Howdy:
>
> I have a DLink DI-624. Makes a high-pitched noise, similar to a TV
> set. Not loud... but caused me a headache after a while. Unit was
> sitting near me, but I've moved it into another room. I've read about
> others hearing this noise in a few other places online.
>
> Other than that, I've been pretty happy with the unit. No problems
> with disconnections, as so many others have mentioned. Running XP Pro
> with Intel 2200BG wireless.
>
> best,
> jeff
>

> "MFY" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just got my wireless router and set up the network, everything
>> seems to work fine, I am just wondering if it is normal that the
>> router is not silent. It makes some constant beep, very high tone,
>> not loud at all, only possible to hear when it is quiet around. But
>> still...it makes sound :) Anybody knows why and if it is ok?

> I, too, have a DI-624, however, it is not making any noise of the kind.
> You might want to have it replaced. Did you notify D-Link about the
> noise? Just curious.

Yeah, I wrote to D-Link support few days ago but they seem not to have any
idea about it :/
They asked to try to connect to other power supply. It is a part or the
reply I got:
"In this case, please try using another power supply with the Router and
verify if the beep still continues"

Gordon

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:09:03 +0200, "MFY" <miffy@o2.pl> wrote:

>> I, too, have a DI-624, however, it is not making any noise of the kind.
>> You might want to have it replaced. Did you notify D-Link about the
>> noise? Just curious.
>>
>Yeah, I wrote to D-Link support few days ago but they seem not to have any
>idea about it :/
>They asked to try to connect to other power supply. It is a part or the
>reply I got:
>"In this case, please try using another power supply with the Router and
>verify if the beep still continues"

Are they suggesting that the sound may be coming from the power
supply, not from the router, itself?

jeff

Called D-Link tech support last week. They said the unit shouldn't be
making that noise, and is probably defective. Gave me an RMA#. I am
returning it to them for repair.

best,
jeff

Doug Jamal <bishiv6ERASEATYAHOODOTCOM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9581CE3DAF051ERASEbishiv6atyahood@65.32.5.121>...
> I, too, have a DI-624, however, it is not making any noise of the kind.
> You might want to have it replaced. Did you notify D-Link about the
> noise? Just curious.
>

> leqid@yahoo.com (jeff) wrote in
>
> > Howdy:
> >
> > I have a DLink DI-624. Makes a high-pitched noise, similar to a TV
> > set. Not loud... but caused me a headache after a while. Unit was
> > sitting near me, but I've moved it into another room. I've read about
> > others hearing this noise in a few other places online.
> >
> > Other than that, I've been pretty happy with the unit. No problems
> > with disconnections, as so many others have mentioned. Running XP Pro
> > with Intel 2200BG wireless.
> >
> > best,
> > jeff
> >

> > "MFY" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just got my wireless router and set up the network, everything
> >> seems to work fine, I am just wondering if it is normal that the
> >> router is not silent. It makes some constant beep, very high tone,
> >> not loud at all, only possible to hear when it is quiet around. But
> >> still...it makes sound :) Anybody knows why and if it is ok?

TRENDING THREADS