Strange freezing problem

RavinRivie

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I'm having a strange problem that is really becoming annoying. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. So here it goes:

I notice this problem when I'm surfing the web, I'll be doing seemingly nothing just going to different pages. Suddenly I'll click a link and then the mouse dies and I can't move it anymore. I hit num lock to see if the keyboard is dead - indeed it is, all inputs are dead. The computer sits there for a couple seconds, then the screen goes black. After a few seconds my monitor starts flickering its status light off and on - it has gone into standby mode like it does when the PC is in standby and it is receiving no video signal. The computer is still running, but now it's totally unrecoverable. Only a hard reboot will fix this, upon reboot it says blah blah Windows did not shut down properly.

I log back in and the startup process seems extra slow (The last time I did this my Avast which is always running had two of the shields disabled and would NOT re-enable until I logged off and back on - and I had to Force Log-off as it was taking a LONG time). When I logged back in a second time the startup was much quicker and more like normal. Now the weird part, every website now no longer is logged in. Every website I had told to remember my info has forgotten it - it hasn't forgotten my autocomplete stuff, just that it actually logs me out of every website I use.

What does this sound like to you? It happens from time to time for seemingly no reason at all, and there is no rhyme or reason to it. There is no specific program running each time that causes it, I usually just have the web open and poof it does it. I see no cause for this abnormality, but it's extremely annoying since it keeps logging me out of all my websites and making some (Like YouTube) forget things I told it not to do and making me tell it not to do them again. I'd appreciate some help with this as I'm stumped to what is causing it.

bigp17

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
It seems unlikely - but this could be virus related.
Try following the standard virus removal procedure posted in the virus removal forum.

If it is not that - you may have faulty hardware, be it memory, CPU or powersupply.

There are tests to run that will check your memory, you can run stability tests to check your CPU - however these will likely hang your PC from what you described.

I would do the following (to see if anything works)

1. check the event logs to see if any problems are noted - click on start and type in event - double click event viewer - check the system and application logs .

2. check for viruses (boot into safe mode with networking and download malwarebytes antimlaware)
3. create a bootable disk and check your memory - memtest86
4. back up you data, format and re-install the O/S - test the machine after you have installed the O/S with stability test and let it run for an hour or two and test you can get to your websites.
5. install your additional software and test regulary to see if there is any issues

Hopefully the event logs might show if you have a conflict

RavinRivie

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Well system-wise the time of the crash I see these things that could be related:

Error: The server {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

These all happened at the exact same time:
Error: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Steam Client Service service to connect.

Error: The Steam Client Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Information: The Steam Client Service service entered the running state.

This came 3 seconds later:
Information: The Program Compatibility Assistant service successfully performed phase two initialization.

Then the next time stamp is a minute later after reboot. There are no issues under Applications, only these above under System. I do always have Steam running in the background, is it trying to allude to that being a possible source of the problem? I do always have Comodo and Avast running, I did a full system scan probably a few weeks ago but the problem has sporadically occurred before and after that time so I'm not sure.