Give me the lowdown on these unit combos

DigitalArchon

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
All prices are in canadian, selecte from the store that has, on average, the lowest prices in my city.

Also note that the total prices of an option do not include CPU, case or HSF unit.

Athlon XP 2800+ CPU Cost $200
HSF unit $30
Case (price unknown as power requirements currently unknown, estimating $150)

Option 1
ASUS A7N-8X-E Deluxe $160
Kingston DDR NON-ECC 1024MB 400MHz CL2 (2-3-2-6-1) DIMM (Kit of 2) $420
Seagate 80GB SATA Hard drive 9MS 8MB 7200RPM $130

Total price of option 1: $710

Option 2
ASUS A7V8X-X ATX VIA KT400 $95
RAM: (2x) DDR Non-ECC PC2700 CL2.5 512MB 333 Mhz $260
Seagate 80GB IDE hard drive 9MS 2MB ATA 100 7200 RPM $110

Total price of option 2: $465

% increase of price from option 1 to option 2 based on option price alone: 63%

Logic: The CPU, case and HSF will be the same regardless of option selected, therefore they have no bearing on the comparison, and can thus be factored out. The comparison is based entirely on the option selected.
Requirement: Option 1 must provide at least a 63% increase in performance related to HD/RAM/mobo in order to be considered money-for-value.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Only because you don't care about quality, stability, or overall system cost. If the entire system cost $630, that $63 is only 10%, but you don't care.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Are Canadian dollars/prices that much different? That asus a7n8x-e delux is $99 U.S. at www.zipzoomfly and www.newegg. If that price scales that other motherboard must be like $50 U.S.-it doesn't make sense to me.
*wow I guess it must be--I see some more low priced abit boards. Man athlon xp platform is a steal isn't it?

I guess what crash is sayin' is that it is really $1090 vs. $845 so overall not so much a difference % wise. Or maybe someone else was posted up and deleted it. Something doesn't seem to add up.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zeekfu on 06/06/04 02:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A7V8X is much cheaper than the A7N8X, mostly because it uses a cheaper chipset. But when you compare the price of a complete system using either board (all the other parts being the same), the price difference doesn't seem so large.

If anyone really wants an inexpensive board, Compgeeks has one with the SiS 748 chipset for $35 U.S.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
If what you are trying to say is that the only thing from list one that is worth the extra money is the nforce chipset, I would agree. I would get an abit NF7 and the stuff from list 2 personally.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, basically what I'm getting at is I don't shortchange myself (or my clients) on the motherboard. Besides, he was even comparing the A7N8X-Deluxe to a non-deluxe board, there's features to think about loosing as well. From that description the base NF7 would suffice, but I'd rather suggest the NF7-S for it's superior sound processor.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IXNAY on the ASUS. Crashman is right. For $85.00, there is no beating the NF7-S for features or performance!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

TRENDING THREADS