How does the upgrade work?

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
so im thinking about getting windows 7 when it comes out but this would be my first OS upgrade and want to know if after i upgrade from vista 64 home premium to windows 7 64 home premium if i need to reinstall all my games and software or does the upgrade make it compatible and will i have to re install my nvidia and motherboard drivers to the windows 7 ones. please help me im very confused

Solution
If you upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 you won't have to reinstall your games or drivers.

But an upgrade doesn't give you the streamlined clean system image that a fresh install would, and it may not perform quite as well.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
In addition to smintal's post, from what I have been reading an upgrade can take a very long time depending on your current instalation, and some can take many hours.
If you take into account that W7, on a reasonably fast computer, as a gamer you probably have, the clean instalation will take less then 20 minutes, it may well be better and quicker to reinstall your software, rather then upgrade.