Sign in with
Your question

Problems w/ Gigabyte GA-7N400-L and Memory

Last response: in Motherboards
June 6, 2004 1:34:33 AM

I'm new to this board and just looking for some advice/help. I just bought this Gigabyte board to replace my dead Biostar board. The problem I'm having with this new board is that its not working any of the RAM I put in it. I've tried Crucial ram, Mushkin ram, and some other unknown brand and none of them.

It boots to the winxp splash screen but then it reboots and just keeps on going. I dont know if I'm doing something wrong or if its just a bad mobo. Can anyone help??
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
June 6, 2004 5:38:03 AM

You changed boards without reloading XP? That often causes the exact symptoms you're seeing. It's an XP issue. The best thing to do in order to make your system usable is to perform a repair instal of XP. You boot off the XP CD, then when it says "you already have XP, do you want to replace your current OS or repair the current one" tell it to repair the current installation.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
June 6, 2004 3:47:22 PM

hmmmm.... i think you have a good point. I kept thinking that when the memory LED light was ON, it meant there was some compatability issue with the memory. But upon closer inspection of the manual, the LED means the memory is working. I'm gonna try repairing the WinXP install now. Thanks.
June 6, 2004 3:51:05 PM

AMD 2400+, using DDR266 (DDR2100). 1x256mb and 2x128mb (total 512mb). I didnt do a fresh install, i just put the new MB in my old system. I was hoping it would boot just fine and then I could just load the new drivers.
June 6, 2004 8:25:59 PM

Well the WinXP reinstall worked like a charm. Everything is running great so far. Thanks everyone for you help. This forum rocks!!
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
June 7, 2004 1:34:35 AM

You're welcome. The biggest reason I stay around even with so many others offering good advice is that sometimes the most obvious solutions are overlooked by many of them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!