Connecting to network ok, but not getting an IP address...

I've got a Linksys WAP54g & a Sony Vaio laptop with the built in wireless.
The staus icon shows I'm connected to my network, but I'm not getting a ip
aggress via dhcp. The firewall is disabled on laptop. I've tried ipconfig
/release & renew with no luck. I've also tried the repair button, but get a
message that it failed to renew ip adddress.
Any suggestions as to what I might be missing?
3 answers Last reply
More about connecting network address

    "Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > I've got a Linksys WAP54g & a Sony Vaio laptop with the built in
    > wireless. The staus icon shows I'm connected to my network, but I'm
    > not getting a ip aggress via dhcp. The firewall is disabled on laptop.
    > I've tried ipconfig /release & renew with no luck. I've also tried the
    > repair button, but get a message that it failed to renew ip adddress.
    > Any suggestions as to what I might be missing?

    You can try resetting the TCP/IP stack. I'll assume it's XP since you make
    no mention of the O/S.

    http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_tcp_ip_on_windows_xp.htm

    Duane :)

    Try setting the gateway to your routers IP address e.g. 192.168.1.1
    If it still doesn't work set the laptops IP manually to 192.168.1.11 (11 to
    50) and subnet 255.255.255.0
    Regards,
    Martin

    Mike wrote:
    > I've got a Linksys WAP54g & a Sony Vaio laptop with the built in wireless.
    > The staus icon shows I'm connected to my network, but I'm not getting a ip
    > aggress via dhcp. The firewall is disabled on laptop. I've tried ipconfig
    > /release & renew with no luck. I've also tried the repair button, but get a
    > message that it failed to renew ip adddress.
    > Any suggestions as to what I might be missing?

    Did you specify a range of addresses to be served on your DHCP server? I
    had a similiar experience and the problem was the address range was too
    small. I had set 10 addresses and had only 4 machines thinking it would
    be more than enough. Occasionally a machine would have problem getting
    an IP address from the DHCP server. The problem went away when I changed
    the address range to 50 addresses.

Wireless IP Address Wireless Networking