To BTX or not to BTX, that is the question.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
In an interview with motherboard makers Elitegroup:
"Ah BTX," he grinned finally, "No we are not interested in BTX."

"How does Intel feel about this," we inquired.

"No, it not make Intel so happy," he replied. "But we don't care".

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16344" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16344</A>

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
This is the RDRAM situation all over again. Intel busts out some new technology that may or may not be superior, and expects to strongarm everyone into it. Now the BTX structure may be superior, but I don't think it will be accepted until more than just Intel find it necessary.

"Yeah, I got a magazine for you. It's fulla hollow points. You're gonna love it when I put that in a gun, and then put 'em in your brain!" - Carl

americium

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2003
i agree with endyen. BTX is a very god idea in concept but it still needs to be worked though.

when i first read about BTX i was like "WOW! i aont gonna buy a new computer till BTX is out" but few months later i think that BTX form factor still needs to be tweaked and updated.

for example, that huge cpu heatsink is not a good idea. its too heavy and i think intel need to use the technology they have to try and shrink it while not hurting its benefits.

another thing i hate is the weird shape of psus. i just hope when btx is out the cpus will look like the atx ones the btx ones. they look bigger.

bottom line, i like the idea but i rather see it in a year or maybe more when its 100% perfect and ready and not 85% like now.

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Just read an article about BTX in maximum PC yesterday. Apparently, a lot of the reasoning behind Intel's pushing the BTX is heat issues, the same reason they scrapped the Tejas line of processors. AMD is resisting BTX b/c their procs aren't running nearly as hot, and they know the more they drag their feet the worse Intel looks.

"Yeah, I got a magazine for you. It's fulla hollow points. You're gonna love it when I put that in a gun, and then put 'em in your brain!" - Carl

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
i know im not one of your more prolific posters, but id like to say something anyway :)

i dont see why we need a new form factor, the old ATX works just fine, we just have to mount it differently(inverted and on the oposite side, like lian li did-but i had the idea first) and reverse the air flow.

i dont know wny people are stuck on air moving from front to back when it can just as easily move from back to front. if we were to reverse air flow, then the cpu would get the freshest air.

and if we were to have a blower on the top blowing down at the graphics card area, the graphics card would be cooler.

i dont see why we need a new form factor when we could just tweek our old one. (intel is not good at the "minimal change" aspect of engineering.)

Verikon

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I've never liked bringing in air from the back of the case because it's right beside the exhaust fan of the PSU. Seems like it's just recycling the hot air.

--------------------
P3 Coppermine 975mhz (150 * 6.5)
384 PC133
Geforce2 MX-400
Enermax 250 watt
Spray painted/modded P2 Dell case
<b>Cost: $0</b>

TRENDING THREADS