Sign in with
Your question

What should I do with this?

Last response: in Deals
February 28, 2013 10:31:49 PM

A recent company wide layoff has caused a liquidation in property from my former employer and so I've acquired an office computer from them.

It is a Dell Optiplex 745.

HDD: WD 160 GB

RAM: 512mb

CPU: Intel Celeron (I have yet to turn it on and see what the Ghz are but its a CELERON so what's the need?)

The computer has been stripped of it's optical drives and it's only data input can be through it's USB and Ethernet ports.

What's the best thing I should do with this computer? Sell for parts? Sell as a whole for about 40 bucks? Ideas, suggestions are all welcome. Thanks again!

More about : question

February 28, 2013 10:34:01 PM

If someone is willing to buy it then sell it.
February 28, 2013 10:38:44 PM

stickg1 said:
If someone is willing to buy it then sell it.

It's just that in searching eBay for already sold items that are similar to this, there are NONE. So I'm kinda curious to know if there is even a market for this thing. If so, where?
Related resources
February 28, 2013 10:47:45 PM

It would cost more to ship than the system is worth. Also nobody wants 256MB or 512MB sticks of RAM. There is a market for 1GB sticks of DDR RAM but they only go for a few bucks a piece. Also if that HDD is an IDE interface it MIGHT be worth $15 shipped.
February 28, 2013 10:50:59 PM

Hmm, yeah that's what I figured about it's worth as a whole. The HDD is SATA interface thankfully and I've seen it listed individually for around 60 dollars. Think I should sell the HDD and sell the rest for a penny? A penny is still a profit at this point.
February 28, 2013 11:01:00 PM

250GB SATA HDD's go for about $30 used so you might get $20 for the 160GB.

Maybe you could just keep it mess around with. Use it for a linux box or file server. Put a discrete GPU with HDMI and use it for streaming movies and media on your TV.
March 1, 2013 1:08:09 AM

stickg1 said:
250GB SATA HDD's go for about $30 used so you might get $20 for the 160GB.

Maybe you could just keep it mess around with. Use it for a linux box or file server. Put a discrete GPU with HDMI and use it for streaming movies and media on your TV.

I like that idea a lot. Maybe I can modify it cheaply since it's pretty outdated and then sell the finished product.

Really think I could find a gpu that can put hdmi in this old thing? I'll have to look it up.
March 1, 2013 9:33:13 AM

Oh yeah it's probably an AGP slot, but you might be able to find a regular PCI slot GPU too. Wont game much but could stream HD.
March 1, 2013 11:21:14 PM

Im surprised that you have that, every law firm here in NYC that went the Dell way years ago with these models on XP were tossing them out left and right when they migrated to Windows 7 and brought new equipment. A month ago I tossed about 600 of these to a recycling company, im surprised they didn't end up on ebay.

The are the worst machines I ever worked with in the office. I was happy when it was time to wipe the drives and recycle them. All of them from the 745 to the 760.

These things do not get better until you hit the 780 and even those were being tossed out for the 9010 small for factor models.

You should just donate it.
March 2, 2013 4:44:59 AM

I do like the idea of donating, but I'm a bit of a tinkerer so I like the idea of taking on the project of making it as good as it can be and repurposing it for some other purpose.
!