Opening PORTS for Tivo HMO music sharing

Tim

A. If this group is only for wireless please tell me where wired Linksys
informed folks hang so I can ask my question there

B. If it's OK here I'll ask this: (NEWBIE alert in effect)

I have a linksys BEFW11S4 and a Tivo Digital Video Recorder that is
connected to my linksys via wired cable. There is a feature on the TIVO that
can stream music from my PC to the TIVO, and therefore on to my stereo, via
the Ethernet.

It is possible from the Tivo's menu to type in a remote IP address and
listen to someone else's music in another City/State/Nation. I've been able
to access other's music (Tivos) but no one can access mine.

The procedure is to open a port range on my firewall and open a single port
also. Then go to the router and do port forwarding on the same ports. No
joy.

Reading through the Linksys manual I note that DHCP must be DISABLED to use
port forwarding. Because I've got a dynamic IP address structure from my ISP
(Comcast) I have DHCP ENABLED. -- That's about as technical as I get.

Any thoughts about how I might find success?

Secondary question is, by doing this for my TIVO am I opening my PC TOO MUCH
to the BAD GUYS? A little risk can be accepted.

Thanks,
Tim
California, USA

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys

>I have a linksys BEFW11S4 and a Tivo Digital Video Recorder that is
>connected to my linksys via wired cable. There is a feature on the TIVO that
>can stream music from my PC to the TIVO, and therefore on to my stereo, via
>the Ethernet.
>
>It is possible from the Tivo's menu to type in a remote IP address and
>listen to someone else's music in another City/State/Nation. I've been able
>to access other's music (Tivos) but no one can access mine.

Access from where? If from the internet, you need to punch some holes
in your BEFW11S4 firewall.

>The procedure is to open a port range on my firewall and open a single port
>also. Then go to the router and do port forwarding on the same ports. No
>joy.

How are you testing it? Port forwarding works just fine.

>Reading through the Linksys manual I note that DHCP must be DISABLED to use
>port forwarding. Because I've got a dynamic IP address structure from my ISP
>(Comcast) I have DHCP ENABLED. -- That's about as technical as I get.

Muddle time. Let's divide the router in half. You have a WAN (wide
area network) side, which connects to Comcast (via your cable modem)
and then to the greater internet. That uses DHCP to *OBTAIN* an IP
address for the WAN side.

The other half is the LAN side. That's the side where your computahs
and TIVO box hide. They will have IP Addresses something like
192.168.1.xxx. These addresses are usually assigned by a DHCP server
that's built into your BEFW11S4 router. It *DELIVERS* IP addresses to
your computah and possibly your TIVO box.

However, there's no real guarantee that your computer and TIVO will
have the same IP address every time you power up the system. The DHCP
server will make a heroic attempt to keep the assignments the same,
but often screws up because there is no non-volatile memory for
storing DHCP leases in the router.

If you setup port forwarding from the WAN side to an IP address that's
been assigned by the built-in DHCP server, it will only work as long
as the IP address remains the same. Reboot the router or devices, and
it may get a different IP address, thus breaking port forwarding.

Therefore, Linksys suggests you NOT use port forwarding to point to a
DHCP assigned IP address on the LAN side. Instead, you should assign
a fixed IP address to the TIVO in its configuration setup. You'll
need (for the TIVO)
192.168.1.10 IP address for TIVO.
255.255.255.0 Netmask
192.168.1.1 Gateway (address of BEFW11S4 router)
192.168.1.1 DNS 1
192.168.1.1 DNS 2
I picked the .10 so that it would be outside the DHCP server IP
address range, but any unused number will work.

Once you have those set (and tested with your computah), setup port
forwarding for whatever ports are specified for TIVO, to 192.168.1.10
and your TIVO should be accessable to the greater internet and hackers
like myself.

>Secondary question is, by doing this for my TIVO am I opening my PC TOO MUCH
>to the BAD GUYS? A little risk can be accepted.

Yep. You should have some means of controlling access (via
authorization and authentication). Your scheme has none.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us