Asus P4P800 deluxe problems

Provi

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
I have Asus P4P800 deluxe MB for about 8 months now. At first everything worked ok, after I reinstalled Windows XP, I couldn't install Intel Application Acceleration and Asus update utility. First one reports that I have no proper chipset, second one can't find any Asus motherboard.

OK, none of this programs was important to me so I didn't care much. Today I bought internal USB 6 in 1 card reader from Asus. At first everything seems to work OK until I insert CF card. After a long pause computer reports no disk inserted and after reseting computer there is no disk icons any more and whole computer startup process takes up a looooong time.

I tried changing bios from 1010 to 1017 but nothing changes. I tried with Apacer 256MB CF and Lexar 1GB card.

Any idea how to make card reader working?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The first problem is caused by the fact that you're speaking of a RAID driver. The version of Application Accelerator is Intel's SATA RAID driver, and this feature is disabled in BIOS. If you turn it on, you'll gain nothing as long as you don't have 2 SATA drives in a RAID array on the on-chipset SATA controller.

As for the second part, it sounds like it's trying to boot off the flash drives. There are several settings in BIOS for that as well.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

up_too_late

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Check your connections. I have a multi card reader too and it connects by jumper wires to the firewire pins on the mobo by several tiny connectors. It's easy to get one wrong. Once in a great while one will come loose and it won't show up as a drive in "My Computer", and all I have to do is wiggle them and press them on tight.

Make sure that it is usb (and not firewire)and that you have it connected to the correct pins. If I remember correctly the firewire and usb are near each other. Once connected each slot in the reader should show as a seperate drive.

Also check that the cable is tightly inserted into the reader - I've had that become loose before too.

Provi

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
BIOS finds reader as 4 mass storage devices, everything is set to Auto, but nothing is changed in boot section (floppy, HD, CD, network). In the morning everything was OK again, there were 4 new removable drives - until I insert CF card. BTW, power led on reader is on.

Crashman - thanks for explanation on IAA driver. It makes sense, what about update utility? It used to work once ...
Could be one of the WindowsXP updates?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The INF updates SHOULD work! When you insert an CF card while the machine is running, does it continue to work? Is it only non-functional when you have the CF card inserted at boot?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>