First Conquerer on New HC Ladder

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Clan Shythed celebreates its first Conquerer of the new HC ladder -
AvengerShythed level 66 LF/Plaugazon. If you see this Spook, and have
plans to do some NM minion runs early next week I would like to join
you. If I can get her suited up for Hell I will move her gradually to
the Arcane and then start running for Terror keys as well Hate keys in
the Tower.

Been a slow run this ladder as I have also been spending time playing
my NL SC characters gathering keys and preparing for a jaunt into
uber-land, in which my wife will likely venture forth as well.

As for the new SC ladder now that Tae has returned I am going to need a
rush through there so I can join her and all of you others for some
nice fun trips to the new SC ladder uber-land. So what should I build?
I hear everybody and their mother are building Necros. I have never
played a Smiter. Is there a Smiter in the house. I know I could run a
Frenzy Barb but that might be so mundane for someone whose first 5
characters were barbs. So what is needed here? I'd ask for a rush in an
AB game but it seems like they are so against that there.

Orion

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I think it was "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> that wrote
something like...

>Clan Shythed celebreates its first Conquerer of the new HC ladder -
>AvengerShythed level 66 LF/Plaugazon. If you see this Spook, and have
>plans to do some NM minion runs early next week I would like to join
>you. If I can get her suited up for Hell I will move her gradually to
>the Arcane and then start running for Terror keys as well Hate keys in
>the Tower.
>
>Been a slow run this ladder as I have also been spending time playing
>my NL SC characters gathering keys and preparing for a jaunt into
>uber-land, in which my wife will likely venture forth as well.
>
>As for the new SC ladder now that Tae has returned I am going to need a
>rush through there so I can join her and all of you others for some
>nice fun trips to the new SC ladder uber-land. So what should I build?
>I hear everybody and their mother are building Necros. I have never
>played a Smiter. Is there a Smiter in the house. I know I could run a
>Frenzy Barb but that might be so mundane for someone whose first 5
>characters were barbs. So what is needed here? I'd ask for a rush in an
>AB game but it seems like they are so against that there.
>
>Orion

I'm happy enough to give you a rush if ever we're online at similar
times.

I'm about to go to sleep now though as it's 8am and I've been up all
night.
Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Clan Shythed celebreates its first Conquerer of the new HC ladder -
> AvengerShythed level 66 LF/Plaugazon. If you see this Spook, and have
> plans to do some NM minion runs early next week I would like to join
> you. If I can get her suited up for Hell I will move her gradually to
> the Arcane and then start running for Terror keys as well Hate keys in
> the Tower.
[Snip}
Congratulations. I'm pretty much ready to do NM minion runs any time. I
have several characters that can handle that pretty well, and Cinna has at
least two. We can easily make a full game, so the experience return will be
pretty good.

I'll likely be on b'net most evenings. Just keep an eye open for my
accounts. My BO barb is on *Spook-HCC, and my enchantress is on *Spook-HCB,
so don't be surprised if I miss any messages sent to those accounts, unless
I happen to be playing one of the play characters on those accounts. I'm
usually playing on *Spook-HCA, *Spook-HCD, or *Spook-HCE, although I have
nightmare and/or hell capable hardcore characters on all five accounts.

Are you still using the same accounts as before the reset also, or .... ?

Ruben

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On 16 Sep 2005 12:54:21 -0700, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Clan Shythed celebreates its first Conquerer of the new HC ladder -
>AvengerShythed level 66 LF/Plaugazon. If you see this Spook, and have
>plans to do some NM minion runs early next week I would like to join
>you. If I can get her suited up for Hell I will move her gradually to
>the Arcane and then start running for Terror keys as well Hate keys in
>the Tower.

My trapper is finding Summoner runs a breeze compared to Countess runs
(no keys yet, though -- what can I say?). The boss packs just never
seem to get all that nasty in the AS.

>So what should I build?

What do you want to do?

>I hear everybody and their mother are building Necros. I have never
>played a Smiter. Is there a Smiter in the house.

Hehe, somebody in the AB forums recently started a thread called
something like "No More Smiter Threads."

>I know I could run a
>Frenzy Barb but that might be so mundane for someone whose first 5
>characters were barbs.

Actually, I was thinking of starting a Frenzy/throwbarb myself. Got a
Soulflay and Shadowfang sitting on the melee weapons mule ready to set
him well on his way into NM. I usually only build one barb per
ladder, and that might be it.

>I'd ask for a rush in an
>AB game but it seems like they are so against that there.

Yeah, don't do that. There are certain people in the forums you might
be able to hook up with, though.

-- Roy L

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, "~misfit~" wrote:

>> The cause of this could be due to one of a couple of things; Either Blizzard
>> have physically removed some machines from the D2/LOD pool at their server
>> farm or the new patch introduced some CPU/IO-intensive processes that
>> weren't there before that are overloading the systems.

Or DOS/DDOS is having an effect, or MegaBotting is having an effect.

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Excuse me for jumping in here, but I have noticed that the games I have
played since downloading the 1.11b patch have been free from the lag
nonsense. Also, my mule comp is able to keep a game running, now. I've had
a mule parking game running for two days now since downloading the new
patch. I'm surprised to read there are still instances, because I had hoped
the problem was addressed as a byproduct of the patch. If it is not, then I
suppose I can just enjoy the little respite from lag I seem to be having on
USEast.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I think it was royls@telus.net that wrote something like...

>>and if it's server lag,
>>then the server can't do anything anyway, cos it's lagged.
>
>Total garbage. If the server "can't do anything," how can it be
>processing all the damage the monsters are doing to the char while the
>player can't respond?

It wouldn't be that the server can't do anything, it would be that the
packets it's sending out are getting piled up on their way out. The
main process is running the game and handing off packets to another
part of the system to do the actual sending. But for whatever reason,
it can't send them as fast as it's receiving them, so they pile up.
When whatever is putting the load on that part of the system goes
away, everything in the queue gets processed at full speed and you get
the speed up effect.

Of course, without Blizzard actually saying anything, we can't really
be sure the exact cause of this type of lag, whether it's on the game
servers or somewhere between them and the rest of the world, whether
its hardware of software caused or what.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

mark

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Clan Shythed celebreates its first Conquerer of the new HC ladder -
> AvengerShythed level 66 LF/Plaugazon.

Congratulations and many happy adventures in Hell, snicker.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo Fury

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"~misfit~" wrote...
> Brian Kastel wrote:
>> Excuse me for jumping in here, but I have noticed that the games I
>> have played since downloading the 1.11b patch have been free from the
>> lag nonsense. Also, my mule comp is able to keep a game running,
>> now. I've had a mule parking game running for two days now since
>> downloading the new patch. I'm surprised to read there are still
>> instances, because I had hoped the problem was addressed as a
>> byproduct of the patch. If it is not, then I suppose I can just
>> enjoy the little respite from lag I seem to be having on USEast.
>
> Maybe this impossible-to-miss massive lag is limited to West and then
> maybe only certain servers.

I cursed myself. The mule is still parked, but I've been experiencing some
lag this afternoon. Still, the game is at least playable, whereas before it
wasn't. Hmmmm... It's a conundrum...

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen Shugar), in a display of leetness, fell down
the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>It wouldn't be that the server can't do anything, it would be that the
>packets it's sending out are getting piled up on their way out. The
>main process is running the game and handing off packets to another
>part of the system to do the actual sending. But for whatever reason,
>it can't send them as fast as it's receiving them, so they pile up.
>When whatever is putting the load on that part of the system goes
>away, everything in the queue gets processed at full speed and you get
>the speed up effect.

Could be. Another theory some had was some sort of DOS attack causing their
bandwidth pipe to choke, but it would seem something like that would be
causing ALL games at a given time to have lag problems, when quite clearly
that's not the case.

--
USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, "~misfit~" wrote:

>> I've said it once, I'll say it again. DOS attacks are short-lived things.

Say it again, because whatever you say three times is true.

>> It's not hard to block all the IPs that they're coming from, or write a
>> script to reduce/remove all the bogus connections, a day's work tops. \

This is NOT to imply that Battle.net is doing such work in ANY time
frame.

>> Not only that but DOS attacks require a server that accepts pings/connections

This is true for ping-based DOS attacks.

Now you start to describe a DDOS attack.

>> To set up a DOS attack on battle.net you'd need to actually use a
>> client (D2 for instance) or emulate the commands the game uses to connect to
>> the server, no mean feat as it would have to be coming from software
>> surreptitiously planted in probably 100's of thousands of machines
>> simultaneously for the last month or so. It would be big news in the IT
>> world and I haven't heard about it.

You've been sleeping.

Many machines are zombies, meaning they've picked up an infection that
pumps spam, this IS all over the IT world. Building a Battle.net
attacker to pump fractured packets to execute a packet-fragment DDOS is
relatively tiny, as there is a single target rather than spamming the
whole frigging world.

NOTE: I don't subscribe to DOS/DDOS as THE reason why, nor as A reason
why, battle.net is behaving so badly. I place it on the list of
possible explanations.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down
the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>I've said it once, I'll say it again. DOS attacks are short-lived things.
>It's not hard to block all the IPs that they're coming from, or write a
>script to reduce/remove all the bogus connections, a day's work tops. Not
>only that but DOS attacks require a server that accepts pings/connections
>normally to work. Anyone who's tried doing a tracert or ping to a battle.net
>server knows that they don't accept incoming pings. (Protection against DOS
>attacks?) To set up a DOS attack on battle.net you'd need to actually use a
>client (D2 for instance) or emulate the commands the game uses to connect to
>the server, no mean feat as it would have to be coming from software
>surreptitiously planted in probably 100's of thousands of machines
>simultaneously for the last month or so. It would be big news in the IT
>world and I haven't heard about it.

True enough. It was never a theory I subscribed to anyway. ;-)

--
USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down
the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>Ashen Shugar wrote:
>> I think it was royls@telus.net that wrote something like...

>>> Total garbage. If the server "can't do anything," how can it be
>>> processing all the damage the monsters are doing to the char while
>>> the player can't respond?
>>
>> It wouldn't be that the server can't do anything, it would be that the
>> packets it's sending out are getting piled up on their way out.
>

>That's why I said CPU/IO sytstem. IO = Input/output.
>
>> The
>> main process is running the game and handing off packets to another
>> part of the system to do the actual sending. But for whatever reason,
>> it can't send them as fast as it's receiving them, so they pile up.
>> When whatever is putting the load on that part of the system goes
>> away, everything in the queue gets processed at full speed and you get
>> the speed up effect.
>
>That is one possible explaination.
>
>> Of course, without Blizzard actually saying anything, we can't really
>> be sure the exact cause of this type of lag, whether it's on the game
>> servers or somewhere between them and the rest of the world, whether
>> its hardware of software caused or what.
>
>It's nothing like normal line-lag so it has to be at their server farm. In
>this instance normal line-lag would just drop the packets it can't send
>within a (very short) time-frame. This is not what Roy (and myself) are
>seeing. I'm seeing the whole game (except my own actions seperate from the
>environment. IOW I can move normally, even go to new areas (and the map
>shows no monsters there but there are) but I can't cast spells or TPs, they
>need confirmation from the server and it's simply not responding) freeze for
>several seconds, up to half a minute, then run like it's on crack.

Yes, what you describe is that we're ALL seeing on West.

And certainly, all the actions you're describing as being "able to do" are
"client side" and is a cause of the classic "black wall of doom". You can do
amount of stuff on the client without needing constant confirmation on
everything last thing before an action takes place, although eventually server
and client need to sync themselves), so yes, it's definitely at the server
end.

--

Brian Brunner <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet>, in a display of leetness,
fell down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at
Baal...

>>> I've said it once, I'll say it again. DOS attacks are short-lived things.

>Say it again, because whatever you say three times is true.

I'm a super athletic, super good looking, millionaire!
I'm a super athletic, super good looking, millionaire!
I'm a super athletic, super good looking, millionaire!

Hey, it didn't work!

--

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Stephen van Ham wrote:

>> Brian Brunner <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet>, in a display of leetness,
>> fell down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at
>> Baal...

>> >Say it again, because whatever you say three times is true.
>>
>> I'm a super athletic, super good looking, millionaire!
>> I'm a super athletic, super good looking, millionaire!
>> I'm a super athletic, super good looking, millionaire!
>>
>> Hey, it didn't work!

Uhhh... well... just wait for the resurrection and see how good you
look, how capable you are, and how wealthy you are.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Brian Brunner <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet>, in a display of leetness,
fell down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at
Baal...

>>> I'm a super athletic, super good looking, millionaire!
>>> I'm a super athletic, super good looking, millionaire!
>>> I'm a super athletic, super good looking, millionaire!

>>> Hey, it didn't work!

>Uhhh... well... just wait for the resurrection and see how good you
>look, how capable you are, and how wealthy you are.

Hmmm, so I'm supposed to get killed while there's a Shaman nearby, and then
I'll get respawned with better mods?

--
USWest SCL: 82 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Stephen van Ham" wrote...
> Brian Brunner <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet>, in a display of
> leetness,
> fell down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash
> at
> Baal...

>>Uhhh... well... just wait for the resurrection and see how good you
>>look, how capable you are, and how wealthy you are.
>
> Hmmm, so I'm supposed to get killed while there's a Shaman nearby, and
> then
> I'll get respawned with better mods?

Depends on whether you pick the correct Shaman to stand beside. :)