Advise on MOBO choice

ccc29249

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Can anyone advise me on the following. Im looking for a motherboard with the following basic features.

Agp slot x8
PCI 2.2 compliant with 32bit/66mhz support

I have been unable to find a board which supports 32bit/66Mhz PCI, but i really do need one to fully utilize my raid controller + Raptors (sigh).
It does not matter which CPU the board is for, although socket A is preferable.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Humm... I don't understand your point! Today's motherboards are all AGP 8x and PCI 2.2 compliant.

<A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=PCI+2.2+compliant+motherboard&btnG=Search" target="_new">Google answer</A>

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could use an onboard RAID controller, Intel and nVidia both offer on-chipset RAID with the additional bandwidth you need.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ccc29249

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Sorry but i've totally forgot to mention my systems specs.
I already have an onboard controller, which i have replaced with a 4 ch. sata raid controller. This controller is however only running at half speed since the PCI bus on my mobo is locked at 33Mhz. PCI spec 2.2 allows for 32bit/66Mhz speeds on the bus, which is exactly what im looking for, but i cant seem to find a motherboard which supports this.

System specs.

ASUS A7N8X-E deluxe
Radeon 9800Pro
4 x WD Raptor connected to a Promise Fasttrak S150 SX4 4 ch. sata raid controller.
Watercooled AMP XP2600 Barton at 2400Mhz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'd be looking at server boards to make good use of that card. Of course nVidia offers an on-chipset SATA RAID controller with 4 SATA channes (and 2 IDE channels that can be mixed in the RAID array).

You could wait a few weeks for PCI-Express, since x1 is around 2x the speed of standard PCI, but then you'd need a new card.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Are you looking to do raid 5? Is that why you need the card. Because otherwise, grab a board that already has 4x sata raid. Of course, some of the add-on sata controllers are just patched into the pci bus anyway, so make sure you get one that's not.

"If I owned this place and hell, I'd rent out this place and live in hell" - Toombs

ccc29249

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
No im not going for raid-5. I own a Promise Fasttrak S150 SX4 4-channel sata raid controller and 4 WD Raptors (Raid-0), and i want to make sure that i get the right board for these babies. This requires that the board supports 32bit/66Mhz PCI (included in then PCI specs since rev. 2.1).
However no mobo manufacturer lists this as a "feature".
They all claim their boards to be PCI 2.2 compliant, although most of them arent capable of running the PCI bus at 66Mhz. I currenly have a Nforce2 Ultra 400 mobo, and it does not support this for sure as i only get approx. 107 mb/sec (burst read) and approx. 62mb/sec when doing sequencial reads. This is well below what should be possible with my "drive kit".

The bottom line is:

Im looking for a board which has an AGP slot (rules out any server boards) and are certified to be able to run the PCI bus at 66Mhz.

TRENDING THREADS