Your question

Multiple DVD Drives but single Audio Connection

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • DVD
  • DVD Drives
Last response: in Motherboards
June 11, 2004 2:42:06 PM

I've got a MSI MotherBoard (875P Neo FISR). I use the onboard sound, but it only has one connector for DVD/CD Sound. I have a DVD/CD Writer drive hooked to it, but I also have a 2nd DVD/CD drive in the system and would like the option of being able to get sound out of that drive. Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks in advance

Terry

More about : multiple dvd drives single audio connection

June 11, 2004 6:00:07 PM

Today's audio is digitally extracted of the CDs/DVDs from the IDE port. You don't need to plug the audio cable. It's there for legacy drives that didn't support digital audio extraction.

--
What's the <b><font color=green>AMD Mobile Athlon 64</font color=green></b> overclocking potential? <b>It's huge!</b> Humm... Maybe not that huge...
June 12, 2004 1:30:58 AM

no kidding. I saw something about "today's drives not needing the audio cable plugged in" but was befudled by that statement. Cool, that is good to know. I guess now it wouldn't matter if my oem sound card doesn't have the digital input plug-in or I didn't have the digital cable to plug into it then.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2004 1:45:27 AM

Most sound cards also have an Auxiliary input, which is the same type of connection.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2004 1:50:19 AM

It's more of an operating system issue, XP uses DAE for music, while 98SE used analog audio by default. You can of course set XP to use analog instead of DAE. And people are complaining that playing music under XP they can't get sound out their drive's headphone jack, that should be fixed by disabling DAE for music playback.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!