Onboard sound disabled by PCI sound card

ptbbos

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
Using an Asus K8V motherboard with onboard SoundMax sound, I'd like to use for the SoundMax for basic windows sounds, and plug in a RME Hammerfall for audio recording. However, when I plug in the RME, the SoundMax disappears from the Device Manager.

Is there any know fix for this?

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's probably set to "Auto" in BIOS instead of "Enabled". Most onboard features have the "Auto/Enabled/Disabled" options.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ptbbos

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
That was my first thought as well - unfortunately, the bios for this board only seems to have enabled/disabled. When I get home, I'll check if there's an updated bios, but so far I've not had any luck getting an answer out of Asus support.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow! Maybe it's an IRQ conflict, try putting the soundcard in a different slot (it MIGHT help).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>