Installed 192MB of ram, but only shows 96MB in Windows HP ..

ME

Hello,
Been trying to install more RAM in my 64MB HP Pavillion XE783.
It came with a single 64MB stick.

I put in an additional 128MB and it only shows 96MB in windows!
Why??

Also, tried booting off the 128MB stick by itself, and the machine
doesn't load, just beeps for a while!

Tried putting in 2 128MB sticks and nothing happens...

Any ideas?
THANKS

Me wrote:
> Hello,
> Been trying to install more RAM in my 64MB HP Pavillion XE783.
> It came with a single 64MB stick.
>
> I put in an additional 128MB and it only shows 96MB in windows!
> Why??
>
> Also, tried booting off the 128MB stick by itself, and the machine
> doesn't load, just beeps for a while!
>
> Tried putting in 2 128MB sticks and nothing happens...
>
> Any ideas?
> THANKS

The specs for that say you need PC100 synchronous, unbuffered. Is that
what you have? Some computers are so touchy that they won't take PC133.
Did you buy it from someone who represented that it would work in your system?
If so, then obviously you should be looking to them for support.

-Dave

ME

I had these RAM sticks left over, one from a friend also..
Both say PC100 on them, not PC133..

I ended up putting in a 32MB stick and getting a total of 96MB for
now.

So I have 2 128MB sticks (different manufacturers) that I can't really
get to work. Too bad!
Was thinking about a BIOS upgrade, but none avilable from HP

A BIOS upgrade won't help solve an apparent memory incompatibility problem. The
DIMMs for your Pavilion need to be PC100, as previously noted. In addition,
they need to be unbuffered, non-parity, unregistered, and use low-density memory
chips. If the DIMMs you have do not meet even one of these criteria, they won't
work properly. My guess is that the DIMMs you tried to add have high-density
memory chips, probably only 4 chips per DIMM. PC133 memory may work in some of
the Intel 810 chipset motherboards used by HP, but, once again, they have to
meet the above specs... Ben Myers