Problem with pc rebooting

Lazyleg

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
I have some problems with my PC when I run games. When im in the game, it suddenly stops responding to both keyboard and mouse, right after that i get the same sound notification as when Windows XP finds a new hardware, then it just reboots. It often happen that after reboot i only get a black screen, and need to physically turn off and on the pc to start up Windows.

When returning to Windows i usually get a Windows error message where it says the system has recovered from a serious error.

I have tested 3 different graphics cards without any luck, so i can rule out any problems with my current graphic card.

I have a GigaByte Mainboard (model: GA-7VAXP), it has Thermal Protection Function, and in their knowledge base they say one of the reasons for this might be that there may be bad contact betwen the CPU and the heatzink. and installing the CPU again might solve the problem. But i have checked the CPU temperature after a reboot, and its running at about 33ºc, so i cant understand why it should reboot.

If anyone have some answers to this i would really appreaciate some help.

Thanks in advance
\\Lazyleg

endyen

Splendid
Download mbm5. Use it to check your psu voltages as well as cpu/ system temps. Set it up to keep a log file, every 5-10 seconds. This will give you good info on what happened just before the crash. You might also want to get memtest86 to test your memory.

pengtao

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
I think you must check your OS first maybe a computer virus.
if you assure there is nothing wrong in your software.
check the hardware.
if it's a hardware problem.
1,check the temperature in the bios setting.or install software which can detect the temperature.
2,without any problem in temperature.I think it's possible a ram problem ,check your ram make sure there isn't have any contact problem between your MB and RAM.
3,if all above you have check ,please check your Computer's Power Supply.
(My English is very poor,please forgive me for it)

Lazyleg

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
Hey thanks for answering. Well i have installed MM5 and its showing 33 degres celsius at idle and about 40 degres celsius when i rebooted. Today i installed a game that requires ALOT of my pc, and the rebooting came more frequently. It also changed the R-Gain setting on my monitor for some reason (it have happened before but didnt worry about that since i thought the problem may lie elsewhere). May it be the monitor that is getting ready for the dump or is this a sign of a faulty Power supply?

One thing that i dont understand, is that i get a windows notification sound, just the same sound as when windows detects a new hardware or usb unit right before it reboots. i think its when i get this sound (dont happen all the time) that my monitors R-Gain setting is changed.

Thx for the help so far guys :)
\\Lazyleg

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Those temps are fine. Could be a power supply or a bad-cap problem, or a Via chipset conflict.....................gosh, you name it!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Heya;

Recently i had a similar problem, i would be playing along and all the sudden my PC would just flat out shut off, in my case it turned out to be my PSU, it doesnt sound like what you are describing is the PSU, so lets forget about the PSU, and move on. It sounds like to me you have plain old system instability, there could be many possible causes for this, i would try reinstalling Dx9b and the latest graphics card drivers for your card, if this doesnt resolve the problem, try reinstalling Service Pack 1 for XP, if this doesnt work, come back and i will have some other suggestions for you.

<Archer> Cant this trhing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 engine?

<Trip> Yeah, on Paper...

Xeen