A couple of really dumb questions...

Mike

Splendid

1) Is there as limit to how many wireless connections you can have through a
wireless router or access point?

2) If using WEP, does each connecting device have to have a unique key?

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Mike wrote:
> 1) Is there as limit to how many wireless connections you can have through a
> wireless router or access point?

Yes

> 2) If using WEP, does each connecting device have to have a unique key?

No

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:04:34 GMT, "Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:

>1) Is there as limit to how many wireless connections you can have through a
>wireless router or access point?

Yes. This varies from 31 to several thousand depending on access
point model.

>2) If using WEP, does each connecting device have to have a unique key?

No. I wish it were a unique key per user. All WEP and WPA keys that
talk to a single access point must have the same exact encryption key.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:04:34 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Mike"
<mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:

>1) Is there as limit to how many wireless connections you can have through a
>wireless router or access point?

yes - bandwidth and IP configuration restrict it. The exact limit is AP
specific but likely to be considerably less than 253, and probably no more
than 30. There was a recent thread about this - google groups may help./

>2) If using WEP, does each connecting device have to have a unique key?

no - in fact that would be tricky since the AP can't store more than 4 or
so.
--
Mark McIntyre

Mike

Splendid

"Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:04:34 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Mike"
> <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>1) Is there as limit to how many wireless connections you can have through
>>wireless router or access point?
>
> yes - bandwidth and IP configuration restrict it. The exact limit is AP
> specific but likely to be considerably less than 253, and probably no more
> than 30. There was a recent thread about this - google groups may help./
>
>>2) If using WEP, does each connecting device have to have a unique key?
>
> no - in fact that would be tricky since the AP can't store more than 4 or
> so.
> --
> Mark McIntyre
> CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
> CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>

> Newsgroups
> =---

I plan to have no more than 3-4 connected at a time, so that's fine. As far
as the keys, why are 4 generated if everyone could use the same one?
Thanks-

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:04:34 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Mike"
>> <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>1) Is there as limit to how many wireless connections you can have
>>>through a
>>>wireless router or access point?
>>
>> yes - bandwidth and IP configuration restrict it. The exact limit is AP
>> specific but likely to be considerably less than 253, and probably no
>> more
>> than 30. There was a recent thread about this - google groups may help./
>>
>>>2) If using WEP, does each connecting device have to have a unique key?
>>
>> no - in fact that would be tricky since the AP can't store more than 4 or
>> so.
>> --
>> Mark McIntyre
>> CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
>> CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>

>> Newsgroups
>> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
>> Encryption =---
>

> I plan to have no more than 3-4 connected at a time, so that's fine.

I have seven computers connected to my WRT54G now. Life is good.

> As far as the keys, why are 4 generated if everyone could use the same
> one?

You can generate up to four keys if you wish and save them on the router;
then, simply change the WEP default transmit key on the router when you want
to switch to a different one. (Of course, you have to select the same tx key
[1 through 4] for each client too, so that they match.) For the sake of
better security, it's a good idea to rotate them every week or two if you
live in an area where there are lots of wireless connections.

Doing it this way is a lot easier than manually typing in different a
26-character code eahc week or so, or even coming up with a new passphrase
that generates the 26-character key (assuming you have Linksys equipment).

TRENDING THREADS