VIDEO: Toshiba's Bend-to-Zoom LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]why do you have to keep bending and unbending it? why can't you just hold the bend and it keeps zooming in? seems an annoying oversight to me[/citation]

The guy is doing that to avoid zooming in too close, as you can clearly see, it continues to zoom in when he holds the position, then he releases it to maintain control, not because the device isn't capable.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Well.. for some reason I am baffled why no one is impressed with a flexible LCD display. IT'S A FRIGGIN FLEXIBLE, FLAT SCREEN PEOPLE!! THE FUTURE IS HERE!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It's neat but it's not something we haven't seen before and the "bend to zoom" idea is pretty useless in my opinion. I'm still trying to think of practical civilian uses for these types of displays. The cool factor is definitely there but I just don't see what I'd be using it for yet. I lack imagination for this sort of stuff but I've never encountered a scenario in my life where I think to myself "well damnit if only this display were flexible."

G

Imagine playing a fps games with a 360 degree seamless view.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Looks as though the control is digital (on and off) instead of analog where you could bend a little and get a little zoom. Make it analog(ish) and it would be that much better. Also would need to have an anti glare coating on the surface as bending will produce more of a glare.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Stingray1[/nom]Imagine playing a fps games with a 360 degree seamless view.[/citation]That would surely rock. I imagine the perspective would be distorted.. they would have to work around that. Could be complicated. They need infinity point data! lol

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]That would surely rock. I imagine the perspective would be distorted.. they would have to work around that. Could be complicated. They need infinity point data! lol[/citation]

Distorted? Why's that? Field of View is rendered by the engine, it's just set by default to work with standard LCDs. Hell, most engines let you go into the config file and set it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.