Sign in with
Your question

Can my system run Starcraft II?

Last response: in Video Games
April 27, 2010 12:57:26 AM

Hello,

I have been playing Blizzard Entertainment's futuristic real-time strategy Starcraft for a few years now, waiting on Starcraft IIto be developed. Having read *Don Woligroski's article "StarCraft II Beta: Game Performance Analyzed" many questions, many I never thought to ask, were answered. However, there are a few i'd like to verify; as follow:

Could my *system, *based on their review, run Starcraft II on medium, high, and/or ultra settings?

What sort of upgrades, such as graphics and video cards/drivers, should I get before running Starcraft II; if any?

Where could I get them cheap and reliably?

Many thanks,

Deaner6666

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*#1: This was also a Tom's Hardware publicated article, which most intrigued me to post and re-continue to visit here. Also, don't forget there are several pages to the article which you can navigate with either a drop-down box or selecting the "next page" button.

*#2: System information was put onto another website to avoid clutter here, which turns general people away from the article (which I don't want.) You can find it here: http://typewith.me/k6IV63eYH3

*#3: Suggested that you at least skim through the entire article for additional details, but the conclusion gives a very general idea.

More about : system run starcraft

April 27, 2010 5:20:31 PM

yes, your system could run SC2. though my guess is on medium-low settings. the issue comes down to your video card. you CPU and Ram are fine. from what iv heard and seen though sc2 is not a very demanding game. it will rely alot on CPU and luckily yours is pritty decent
m
l
April 27, 2010 8:28:52 PM

Thanks CrysisComa,

It's relieving to hear that. I feel a bit more assured in playing Starcraft II now. However, I have a few questions still; as follow:

What is a decent video card for my computer and *it's specs?

Where can I get it at a decent price, at reliably (Best Buy v. Ebay)?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Specs are still at http://typewith.me/k6IV63eYH3
m
l
Related resources
April 28, 2010 10:34:24 AM

Since you already have a Radeon, you may want to consider the 5770. It sells for $150-190 on Newegg, and will be a significant upgrade from your current card.
m
l
April 28, 2010 7:06:44 PM

Thanks much Herr_Koos,

This will be a welcomed upgrade to my system, especially at it's cheap price.

Having looked at a few other websites the day before, I noticed most cards ranged at 350-400 dollars. An amount equal to a small notebook laptop, an amount I wouldn't of had; laying around at least.

However, the 5770 is a reasonable price for a range of $150-190, as you reccomended, and i'll make proper preparations tonight for it; or something similar.

Sincerely thanks,

Deaner6666
m
l
April 29, 2010 7:47:33 AM

My pleasure! Feel free to look at other options as well, this is just my recommendation based on benchmarks and reviews as well as price vs performance.
m
l
August 22, 2010 4:54:46 AM

im using a 5770 for SC2. it performs very well
m
l
August 25, 2010 4:34:30 PM

im using a nvidia 9800gt 1gb which runs scII with all settings on high and ultra. You should be able to pick one up quite cheap now because its an old card.
m
l
!