can I get a new mobo for my old parts?

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Say I want to start building a new pc a piece at a time and I have a p4 2.4b and 2 x 512 ddr 333 but for now I want to drop the allocated coinage on one of the hot new gpu's and maybe a hundred or so bucks more. Right now I have an Asus p4pe. Is there much to be gained from AGP 8x? Is there an 865 board that I can use a 533 fsb cpu and ddr 333 on, and if so will i be taking some kind of performance hit? Do the prescott CPU's have a different socket?

Committed to excellence, willing to make do with high average, able to get by on mediocrity in a pinch.

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I have asimilar setup running on an MSI board with the 645DX chipset. Works like a charm, rock solid, and you can probably find the board dirt cheap.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
1GB DDR333
R9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG DVD+-R/RW
WIN2K PRO SP4

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Err I'm not familiar with the 645 chipset, and I don't see it at newegg.

Committed to excellence, willing to make do with high average, able to get by on mediocrity in a pinch.

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Its an older chipset now, I got the board a year ago. There is likely somehting newer out that would work just as well or better, just though I would offer my 2 cents worth, since I am familiar with it.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
1GB DDR333
R9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG DVD+-R/RW
WIN2K PRO SP4

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Thanks, hmm, I think 845PE is what I want. DOH 865PE, hello.

Committed to excellence, willing to make do with high average, able to get by on mediocrity in a pinch.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Karlsbad on 06/19/04 05:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

I would suggest the msi pt880 neo lsr for about $62 (newegg). The via chipset will run your 533 cpu and give you room to upgrade later. It also has more memory settings than the 865 boards. Hardocp tested it with a 2.4a prescott, and it overclocked well.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with the Abit IS7. It cost just over $90, has the i865PE chipset, supports your CPU and your RAM in DUAL CHANNEL mode, comes with Firewire and SATA RAID, and has 5 sound ports just in case you need them.

Skip the crap boards, none of them give you much of a gain over your current board. Especially pass on those crappy VIA and 848 chipset boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Cool, must edit post stating I wanted 845PE. 865 is what I meant. DAR. I'm trying to figure out the difference between 865X chipsets.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
865PE is the standard northbridge. 865P is a downbinned 865PE that isn't approved for 800 bus processors (although many board makers offer 800 bus with the 865P anyway). 865G has graphics. 848 is the 865PE with dual-channel memory (128-bit memory addressing) disabled.

Abit IS7 is the standard version. The IS7-G replaces the 10/100 LAN with gigabit LAN and cost more. The other IS7's are cheap versions.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
So what 865pe board would be the choice as far as stablitity and bios updates/options if money wasn't a consideration? It seems like Abit gets a fair amount of respect.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If I were a rich man, I'd probably get the Abit IS7. But since I'm not, I'd probably get the Abit IS7.

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
HAHA cool. Now I'm just wondering if I can leave the contents of my hard drive or if I need to reformat and reinstall XP pro.

Ordered my X800 platinum today :) probably 3 weeks delivery :(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Keep wondering. Try a repair instalation, if that doesn't work format and start over.