Building a better skeleton - page 2

    "Whitedog" <email@email.com> wrote in message
    news:LYxXe.6279$N35.4754@trndny09...

    > We do?

    Well, I guess they do if they don't play with sorcs or Enigma users.

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down
    the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >> Well, I wouldn't necessarily say it's literally a "them before you"
    >> situation, in a party. After all, the essense of a good party is to
    >> make the game enjoyable for yourself and not just everyone else.

    >My point exactly Stephen.

    With all due respect, it really didn't sound like that was your point at all,
    and not to a number of other people, based on the responses you've been given.

    >> One thing I find though is that I can get enjoyment from supporting
    >> the other players, in other words, getting enjoyment from other
    >> people's enjoyment, and being a "back of the pack" kind of character,
    >> but I can see how this can vary a lot from person to person.

    >Sure, I often enjoy that too. However if I'm doing that it's by choice, not
    >because I'm expected to.

    It's good to hear that you do. :-) And I agree, no one is expected to do
    anything. However, it's these sorts of choices that separate the good coop
    player from the selfish one, a point which a large part of battle.net still
    hasn't cottoned on to, unfortunately.

    --
    USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    I think it was "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz> that wrote
    something like...

    >Stephen van Ham wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness,
    >> fell down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked
    >> sash at Baal...

    >>> My point exactly Stephen.
    >>
    >> With all due respect, it really didn't sound like that was your point
    >> at all, and not to a number of other people, based on the responses
    >> you've been given.
    >
    >Then I didn't express myself very well. I took exception to what I saw as a
    >post that seemed to say that summoning necros, when in a party game, should
    >play according to a certain formula leaving no room for their personal
    >preferences or enjoyment. That isn't what I'd call enjoyable for the necro
    >player.
    >
    ><sob>! I feel so misunderstood!

    Ahh, but what about poor Jaakko then? He's talking about the Necro's
    he see's in Baal runs where the unwritten rule is speed, and how
    they're woefully incompetent at helping towards that purpose, and then
    you jump down his throat talking about flower and sunshine party play?

    ;p

    Ashen Shugar
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

    "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >> USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    >Hey, what happened to the HC character? And what about your SPF single tree
    >character? How about an update on them?

    Well, as far as the SPF single tree guy, well, I kind of got caught back up in
    online play again, so he's not progressed very far.

    As for the hardcore barbarian... he's been sitting at the beginning of act 4
    normal for a few days now. Maybe I'll progress him some more tomorrow
    morning.

    I'm also considering getting an HC mephisto girl underway, using Cooner's
    disposa sorceress model (which is basically an orb only sorceress with maxed
    block and energy shield). I gave this a spin in single player (granted, with
    some decent gear), and was very impressed by the build.

    --

    Whitedog wrote:
    > "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >

    > > ANyone who has ever played with me when I am in necro mode will tell
    > > you that I play about as agressive a necro as is possible. I am usually
    > > the one out in front of the party (espeically now that we actually HAVE
    > > to walk down to Baal),
    >
    > We do?

    Without maphack, most are walking as it takes either a VERY good
    player, a VERY good connection, or a level 95+ to avoid being
    stunlocked from teleporting into a pack of snakes, knights or lords.

    Mickey

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Mickey wrote:
    > > ~misfit~ wrote:

    > >> Bummer.

    > >> I agree that a necro is a very powerful and versatile character and
    > >> many's the time I've just wandered along throwing curses. My beef
    > >> was with a post that seemed to me to say "This is the rule for necro
    > >> party play". If I chose to play that role then fine, my choice.
    > >> However, as you say, the necro can play both roles. I like to think
    > >> I have a choice as to what role I'd like to play and I like to think
    > >> that other party members would allow me that choice rather than
    > >> insist I defer to them.
    > >
    > > ANyone who has ever played with me when I am in necro mode will tell
    > > you that I play about as agressive a necro as is possible. I am
    > > usually the one out in front of the party (espeically now that we
    > > actually HAVE to walk down to Baal), and I will cast whatever skill
    > > is most suited to the monsters/team I am with. I don't consider it
    > > subjugating myself to the needs of the team, but rather look at it as
    > > the best way to get some ammo for my CE, which dispite Blizzard's
    > > best attempts at nerfing, is STILL the single most powerful skill in
    > > the game, in teh hands of someone who knows how to use it.
    >
    > And anyone who's seen me playing a necro will know I'm very similarly
    > agressive. If there's OKs about I don't hide, I run up to them and stand on
    > their toes so they cast decrep and don't kill my merc with IM. I charge up
    > to mummys and shamen so the pack will follow me and kill the desired
    > monster. I'm certainly not one to follow along behind the pack, I lead all
    > the way.
    >
    > Summoners are fun and there are so many ways to play them.

    That is more or les smy style. I also do it to prevent others from
    triggering gloams and getting me killed by something I can't even see.
    Souls, Gloams and the like cannot hurt me if I run at them, as I cast
    DV in front of me and FGs along the way, and given my 75%LR and 2k
    life, I'm can take quite a hit from them without really suffering.

    Mickey

    ~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz> kirjoitti:

    > Jaakko Raipala wrote:

    Ah, if that post seemed phenomenally cranky, it's because I've been
    phenomenally cranky in the last few days. Severe insomnia. Last night,
    I slept nearly eight hours for the first time for days, but I was
    still cranky and tired in the morning; the relief seems to have kicked
    in in the evening and now I'm running around apologizing about all the
    excessive crankiness I've been giving people. Sorry. We talked past
    each other, but it didn't really justify some of those accusations...

    (Oh well. At least you didn't get the "I BELIEVE YOU ARE A COMMUNIST
    REVOLUTIONARY AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I WILL DEFEND THE COUNTRY"
    treatment some harmless political bloggers got.)

    > Kimi Raikkonen is an awesome driver, my favourite, it's shame that the
    > reliabilty of the McLaren Mercedes has been a bit hit-and-miss this year, he
    > really deserves to win the championship. Alas, Alonso seems to have it in

    It's properly spelled Räikkönen.

    BTW I hate Formula 1, like almost everyone I know used to hate F1
    until the exact moment when Häkkinen started winning. Those drivers
    are pretty good for entertainment, though (today's biggest tabloid
    headline: "MCCLAREN GAVE KIMI PRINTED DRINKING INSTRUCTIONS!"), even
    if they still have a loooooong way to go to match the great drunken
    exploits of our renowned javelineers and ski jumpers.

    Brian Brunner wrote:
    > Try a different approach to the Ball Minion waves: everybody stand back,
    > Necro uses Dim Vision, everybody uses ranged attacks.
    >
    > Only the pack leader will see and close with the party, in which case
    > he's greasy fried frozen toast. So are the others, but they'll just
    > stand their waiting for Death, Destruction, and Oblivion to come smack
    > them.

    hehe that's a great way to do it. Never thought of that. Sounds like a
    lot of fun.

    > Without maphack, most are walking

    Maybe on ladder, but sure as hell not off...

    > Mickey

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down
    the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >> ummm he did. He was talking about baal runs, and mentioned "runs"
    >> quite a few times. :)

    >You're right. Apologies to all, especially Jaakko. I was still thinking
    >about what Stephen had posted immediately before that and didn't make the
    >mental 'switch' to runs. I see the two situations a s being completely
    >different and wouldn't really class runs as "party play".

    Hehe, this group wouldn't be any fun without the odd misunderstanding or
    three. :-)

    --

    >A good necro will QUICKLY nuke any cold mages he
    > has, as they destroy his supply of ammo, and finding the right revies
    > is also time consuming.

    I only put one hard point in mage and I always like to have the more cold
    mages I can get but it is usually only two. A cold mage will help to slow
    down a monster and will not always make him shattered. If he does it does
    not really matter. My Necro has anyway an army of skels with the might aura.
    If you add the damage from the merc and the Necro's curses then use CE, I
    do not recall lacking bodies because of one or two cold mages. Anyway it is
    not a critical point to consider and it is more about the playing style of
    the player. For my part, I like cold mages but certainly not ten of them if
    it was possible though they would be nice against most of the boss.

    VD

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Stephen van Ham wrote:

    >> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down
    >> the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >> >You're right. Apologies to all, especially Jaakko. I was still thinking
    >> >about what Stephen had posted immediately before that and didn't make the
    >> >mental 'switch' to runs. I see the two situations a s being completely
    >> >different and wouldn't really class runs as "party play".
    >>
    >> Hehe, this group wouldn't be any fun without the odd misunderstanding or
    >> three. :-)

    Try a different approach to the Ball Minion waves: everybody stand back,
    Necro uses Dim Vision, everybody uses ranged attacks.

    Only the pack leader will see and close with the party, in which case
    he's greasy fried frozen toast. So are the others, but they'll just
    stand their waiting for Death, Destruction, and Oblivion to come smack
    them.

    "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > Whitedog wrote:
    > > "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > > ANyone who has ever played with me when I am in necro mode will tell
    > > > you that I play about as agressive a necro as is possible. I am
    usually
    > > > the one out in front of the party (espeically now that we actually
    HAVE
    > > > to walk down to Baal),
    > >
    > > We do?
    >
    > Without maphack, most are walking as it takes either a VERY good
    > player, a VERY good connection, or a level 95+ to avoid being
    > stunlocked from teleporting into a pack of snakes, knights or lords.

    Well I'm only a level 87, on a dsl, and I'd say I'm an above average player,
    and I do just fine.

    royls@telus.net wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:45:18 +1200, Stephen van Ham
    > <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    > >Other things that make me cringe are:
    > >
    > >Sorceresses that never EVER use static field, not even on high HP targets like
    > >act bosses.
    >
    > I agree this is ridiculous and incomprehensible. Even if your points
    > are so _precioussss_ that you can't spare one (1) for Static, at least
    > buy a freakin' staff with +3 Static on it and keep it on switch for
    > high-hp bosses.

    Well, unless they were making a true one tree build. I met a guy like
    this. No Warmth, Static or Teleport. Not sure if "impressive" is the
    word.

    > Zons who don't deploy Decoys, sins who don't use Cloak or MB, etc.

    I thought the use of MB by a sin in a party was a no-no. I know that it
    used to be due to the lingering affects of auras. But I thought it
    still was. Most party members hate having that one last minion which
    has been converted just walking around. I guess there is a time and a
    place. . I read somewhere that CoS used to black out a party member's
    screen. I know that it presently makes things a little harder to see.

    chaliban

    Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    > RelMark <bsmith77(at)dreamscape(dot)com>, in a display of leetness,
    > fell down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked
    > sash at Baal...
    >
    >>"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>Also, is this item really possible?
    >>> Necro head, +2 all, +3 SM +3 RS
    >>I remember reading, either here or in AGD2, that first-tier skills
    >>couldn't appear on items with an ilvl of 30 (I think) or above.
    >
    > From here:
    > http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/index.php?showtopic=48684&st=0&
    > #entry522738

    Thanks for the reference and the details. Looks like you could still get
    +1 Summoning without losing access to RS/SM. Better than nothing.

    RelMark

    Shiflet wrote:
    > "Orchid" <poza@REMOVETHISHEREgol.com> wrote in message
    > > I have just the opposite problem on this. I'm doing battle orders every
    > > 30 seconds for fear it will run out
    >
    > I'm the same way, when I'm running barbs or one of my CtA users in a party I
    > cast it constantly unless someone else is in the game with a higher level
    > BO. My paladins likewise cast Holy Shield every 30 seconds or so.

    I do the same with curses, even though I know they haven't expired, I
    keep casting them. It's not like I have much to do anyway until there
    are some corpses about.

    Mickey

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down
    the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >And anyone who's seen me playing a necro will know I'm very similarly
    >agressive. If there's OKs about I don't hide, I run up to them and stand on
    >their toes so they cast decrep and don't kill my merc with IM. I charge up
    >to mummys and shamen so the pack will follow me and kill the desired
    >monster. I'm certainly not one to follow along behind the pack, I lead all
    >the way.

    >Summoners are fun and there are so many ways to play them.

    Hey look, I can piss out the letters of my name in the snow!

    --
    USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    >stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...
    >
    >>First 1.10 ladder I had a wand with +2 SM +3 RS +2 CE, bought AT
    >>Drognan's.
    >
    >Yes, but Brian is refering to not being able to get +2 to ALL Necromancer
    >Skills innately on a wand that also has tier 1 or 2 skills on it, which it
    >would seem you were suggesting in your original post.

    Oh, good lord.

    I meant on a head, not wand. I made a typo (which should have been obvious
    from the context of the subthread), and I'm perfectly secure to admit that I
    did so. Now, if only you'd admit when you do the same...

    Come on, Mickey, it's okay to admit that you made an error, we won't think
    anything less of you.

    --
    USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    "Shiflet" <rshiflet@charter.net>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >sure
    >+RS/SM

    >> > Generally this is true. I've done EONS of shopping attempting to get +2
    >> > necro/+ANYTHING rs/sm and it never shows. Ditto +2 ass +ANYTHING
    >> > psychic hammer.
    >> >
    >> > Perhaps it will spawn on a random drop in the field, or via crafting,
    >> > but shops and gambling follow that rule: If you're high enough to see +2
    >> > class skills, you'll NEVER see a level 1 skill boost!
    >>
    >> First 1.10 ladder I had a wand with +2 SM +3 RS +2 CE, bought AT
    >> Drognan's.
    >
    >+2 SM, +3 RS, +2CE does not include +2 class skills. You originally
    >suggested a necro head with +2 all, +3 SM +3 RS. Brian was saying a head(or
    >wand) that can get +2 all cannot get +3 RS/+3 SM, not that a head withOUT +2
    >all can't get RS/SM.

    Thank you. Your typo-free version is much clearer than mine, hopefully. :-)

    --
    USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down
    the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >Whitedog wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz> wrote in message

    misfit:

    >>> Is that what everyone else in the party does too? A totally ego-less
    >>> nirvana?

    Whitedog:

    >> The people I like to play with, yeah. There are plenty of people
    >> that are anything but ego-less, but I tend to avoid them. I would
    >> say however that the majority of the regulars in the agd games fit
    >> your "egoless" profile.

    >http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=egoless&x=15&y=11
    >
    >"Main Entry: ego
    >Function: noun
    >Inflected Form(s): plural egos
    >Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, I -- more at I
    >1 : the self especially as contrasted with another self or the world.
    >
    >ego·less adjective."
    >
    >It is actually impossible to be ego-less (and not be comatose) and I'd
    >venture to say not very desirable. A sheep is without ego (no NZ jokes
    >please), a person is more fun to play Diablo with than a sheep. Therefore I
    >assert that I'd rather play with people who have some ego, some sense of
    >self, rather than people who simply do as they're told or what is expected
    >of them.

    Yes, certainly not egoless (in the sense of not having ego), as we all have
    egos, but some people *appear* to be more driven by this than others (for
    example, certain AGDers always appears to me to be quite egotistical.
    Whether they actually are, is another matter. Sometimes being plainly spoken
    can be mistaken for being egotistical/feeling superior.

    Sorry, got off on a tangent there. I *think* (I may well be wrong, and
    whitedog will let me know shortly if I am) what Whitedog was meaning is
    players that are LESS driven by ego, in the sense of the breed of player that
    finds no need to be the "hero" of every game they're in, is quite happy to
    share in the spot light, generally doesn't play hugely aggressively (although
    they may play very aggressively SOLO), doesn't feel the need to be ahead of
    everyone else and dominating the game, doesn't need to be the highest level,
    have the best gear, do the most damage, etc. In other words, the typical
    AGDer that I get to game with on a regular basis.

    Now certainly I'm NOT saying that playing "uber" characters in an aggressive,
    somewhat aloof/solitary fashion ISN'T fun or have its place, but my view of a
    good cooperative game is, essentially, one where we try to have our egos.

    Another aspect of this is... I really hate dying, as I view this as a failure
    of my character, even in SC mode. I still die from time to time, but I try
    to avoid it (usually from ISP or "bug" related issues, but I do make the
    occasional tactical blunder, I'm happy to admit that). However, a lot of SC
    players don't have that same view of dying as me. As a result of this, their
    play style/choice of builds tend to result in them dying quite regularly.
    Now, an egotistical or arrogant person might judge these players "lesser", as
    a result. But I always try not to judge players for this, or make fun of
    them, or if I do make a comment, it always has a clear playful context to it.

    Just my view on what I *think* Whitedog meant, with quite a bit of extra
    explanation and probably off-topic personal viewpoint.

    >I can't see a party game of "totally ego-less" (my original term) players
    >ever getting out of the rogues encampment.

    Well, we often get distracted by the chickens...

    --

    > Sorry, got off on a tangent there. I *think* (I may well be wrong, and
    > whitedog will let me know shortly if I am) what Whitedog was meaning is
    > players that are LESS driven by ego, in the sense of the breed of player
    that
    > finds no need to be the "hero" of every game they're in, is quite happy to
    > share in the spot light, generally doesn't play hugely aggressively
    (although
    > they may play very aggressively SOLO), doesn't feel the need to be ahead
    of
    > everyone else and dominating the game, doesn't need to be the highest
    level,
    > have the best gear, do the most damage, etc. In other words, the typical
    > AGDer that I get to game with on a regular basis.
    >
    > Now certainly I'm NOT saying that playing "uber" characters in an
    aggressive,
    > somewhat aloof/solitary fashion ISN'T fun or have its place, but my view
    of a
    > good cooperative game is, essentially, one where we try to have our egos.
    >
    > Another aspect of this is... I really hate dying, as I view this as a
    failure
    > of my character, even in SC mode. I still die from time to time, but I
    try
    > to avoid it (usually from ISP or "bug" related issues, but I do make the
    > occasional tactical blunder, I'm happy to admit that). However, a lot of
    SC
    > players don't have that same view of dying as me. As a result of this,
    their
    > play style/choice of builds tend to result in them dying quite regularly.
    > Now, an egotistical or arrogant person might judge these players "lesser",
    as
    > a result. But I always try not to judge players for this, or make fun of
    > them, or if I do make a comment, it always has a clear playful context to
    it.

    > Just my view on what I *think* Whitedog meant, with quite a bit of extra
    > explanation and probably off-topic personal viewpoint.

    You pretty much nailed it.

    > >I can't see a party game of "totally ego-less" (my original term) players
    > >ever getting out of the rogues encampment.
    >
    > Well, we often get distracted by the chickens...

    I haven't done that in awhile...

    misfit wrote (not whitedog):

    >>http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=egoless&x=15&y=11
    >>
    >>"Main Entry: ego
    >>Function: noun
    >>Inflected Form(s): plural egos
    >>Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, I -- more at I
    >>1 : the self especially as contrasted with another self or the world.
    >>
    >>ego·less adjective."
    >>
    >>It is actually impossible to be ego-less (and not be comatose) and I'd
    >>venture to say not very desirable. A sheep is without ego (no NZ jokes
    >>please), a person is more fun to play Diablo with than a sheep. Therefore I
    >>assert that I'd rather play with people who have some ego, some sense of
    >>self, rather than people who simply do as they're told or what is expected
    >>of them.

    Apologies for the unclear attribution in my last post.

    --
    USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down
    >the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...
    >
    >>And anyone who's seen me playing a necro will know I'm very similarly
    >>agressive. If there's OKs about I don't hide, I run up to them and stand on
    >>their toes so they cast decrep and don't kill my merc with IM. I charge up
    >>to mummys and shamen so the pack will follow me and kill the desired
    >>monster. I'm certainly not one to follow along behind the pack, I lead all
    >>the way.
    >
    >>Summoners are fun and there are so many ways to play them.
    >
    >Hey look, I can piss out the letters of my name in the snow!

    Sorry all, that sounded needlessly pissy (sorry, bad pun).

    --

    <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >"Whitedog" <email@email.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    >tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...
    >
    >>I hear you loud and clear. There was actually quite a bit of time that I
    >>simply refused to play with any necros. I agree with everything you stated,
    >>but one thing that also bothers me is what I call pussy necros. All they do
    >>is hide behind their minions and do nothing. How can anyone build a necro
    >>and not use CE?
    >
    >I know! That's what a summoning druid is for anyway. :-)
    >
    >Other things that make me cringe are:
    >
    >Sorceresses that never EVER use static field, not even on high HP targets like
    >act bosses.

    I agree this is ridiculous and incomprehensible. Even if your points
    are so _precioussss_ that you can't spare one (1) for Static, at least
    buy a freakin' staff with +3 Static on it and keep it on switch for
    high-hp bosses.

    >Barbarians that cry so infrequently that their BO/Shout/Battle Command is
    >regularly wearing off team mates.

    Only thing worse: Barbs with level 1 BO who overwrite another barb's
    level 30 BO every chance they get...

    >Barbarians that never use Taunt and Battle Cry, some of the most useful one
    >pointers in the game. War Cry, Howl (mostly because this one bothers some
    >people used to playing a certain way), Grim Ward, etc I consider hugely
    >stylistic options in SC, but Taunt and Battle Cry are so useful and not off
    >the beaten path on the skill trees.

    Zons who don't deploy Decoys, sins who don't use Cloak or MB, etc.

    >Paladins that frequently let their holy shield wear off.

    Ooops. Guilty. 'Bout once an hour.

    -- Roy L

    <royls@telus.net> wrote in message

    > I agree this is ridiculous and incomprehensible. Even if your points
    > are so _precioussss_ that you can't spare one (1) for Static, at least
    > buy a freakin' staff with +3 Static on it and keep it on switch for
    > high-hp bosses.

    Some sorcs prefer to keep other items on switch. A CtA or a Lower Resist
    wand instead.

    > >Barbarians that cry so infrequently that their BO/Shout/Battle Command is
    > >regularly wearing off team mates.
    >
    > Only thing worse: Barbs with level 1 BO who overwrite another barb's
    > level 30 BO every chance they get...

    I had a barb doing that the other day. My summoner has lvl 15 BO, and a barb
    with lvl 10 BO kept BOing IMMEDIATELY after I would.

    > Zons who don't deploy Decoys, sins who don't use Cloak or MB, etc.

    You get mad at sins who don't use cloak, where I HATE playing with sins that
    DO use cloak. That skill annoys the absolute hell out of me, I despise it,
    seriously.And many times in games I've seen many other people ask assassins
    to NOT use cloak, so it's NOT just me who hate it(and sometimes I've even
    seen them tell her to unsummon her shadow so that IT doesn't use cloak. I
    won't ask her to unsummon, but I WILL request one not to use it themselves
    if I'm playing with them).

    > -- Roy L

    "Whitedog" <email@email.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >> Just my view on what I *think* Whitedog meant, with quite a bit of extra
    >> explanation and probably off-topic personal viewpoint.

    >You pretty much nailed it.

    It's that good that it was (close to what you meant), despite my last post
    being riddled with typos. :-) The scary thing is that I usually do a quick
    proof read on my posts and still don't see the errors until later. And my
    parents tried so hard to get me to learn how to read...

    --
    USWest SCL: 82 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    > Barbarians that never use Taunt and Battle Cry, some of the most useful
    one
    > pointers in the game. War Cry, Howl (mostly because this one bothers some
    > people used to playing a certain way)

    Howl is great, is the person it annoyed even around anymore? :)

    Whitedog <email@email.com> wrote:

    > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz> wrote in message
    > > Jaakko Raipala wrote:

    > > > Huh? What on earth are you talking about? The game doesn't count
    > > > "kills".
    > >
    > > I know that Jaakko. However a lot of players get enjoyment out of killing
    > > few monsters. That's the whole concept behind PvM isn't it? It's not about
    > > what the game counts, it's about getting some enjoyment out of the game.
    >
    > Yeah, but if getting the kills yourself is what you are concerned with, then
    > maybe solo is for you. In good party paly, no one cares who kills what.

    I don't believe this is so for all players. A lot of people prefer to
    feel "useful" and active in the game rather than play a supporting role
    and be passive. I've even seen characters made fun of/criticized in
    games for playing a supporting role only (paladins contributing auras to
    sorcs/javazons instead of going in there swinging in a highly dangerous
    mob scene).

    Personally, I don't care about kill efficiency as stuff dies plenty fast
    in parties anyway and am happy to play with people in all-around play in
    whatever fashion they choose whether that enhances the parties killing
    ability or not. In terms of necros and skeletons, I don't care what
    curse they cast and am perfectly happy if they do what enhances their
    killing power over mine (casting amp when I play a javazon, for
    instance). It's not like I'm so weak a character builder that my power
    needs to be enhanced or so impatient that I need every little boost to
    kill stuff 1/8th of a second faster.

    This only changes when facing a potentially lethal situation where
    playing tactics affect who lives and dies rather seriously (like act end
    bosses if the characters aren't capable of handling it). However, I've
    never played with someone who has a necromancer who is a summoner (or
    other build) who didn't swap curses when needed (casting dim vision
    around lethal ranged attackers, for instance).

    What you're saying is that it's all about maximum power and efficiency
    and everyone should adhere to that goal. I don't think that has to be
    the case and for at least some players, myself included, it's not the
    case. We just want to have fun and everyone should do what is fun for
    them (within reasonable limits - like playing with the party when in the
    party and not wandering off solo). Perhaps it's just the Carl in me
    though.

    Shari (Orchid)

    ~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz> wrote:

    > Shiflet wrote:
    > > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz> wrote in message
    > >> That's both you and Jaakko talking about "much faster". Is that all
    > >> you want from party play?
    > >
    > > When I do party play, I'm essentially doing 1 of 3 things:
    > > 1)I'm either helping other people with things THEY need, in which
    > > case I merely want efficiency. If we can do it speedily AND
    > > efficiently, I'm all for it, though I don't mind taking it slow.
    > > 2)I'm doing "runs" to level up. And when doing that, yes, speed and
    > > efficiency are all I want from party play. Faster kills means faster
    > > levels. And if I'm with a party of sorcs or trappers and such, I will
    > > happily cast LR and use CE and not give a rat's ass about if it helps
    > > my skels or not as long as it increases our kill speed.
    > > 3)I myself am getting rushed to a certain objective, in which case I
    > > don't care how fast it gets done as long as it gets me to where I'm
    > > aiming to get. But obviously, speed is a big plus, cause it gets me
    > > to my ultimate goal faster.
    > >
    > > If I want to chat and banter I can do that just fine in the channels,
    > > if I'm in game I likely have some goal I'm aiming for and speed gets
    > > me there quicker.
    > >
    > >> Sure, in solo play. However wouldn't that be selfish in party play?
    > >
    > > Depends on the party. Most parties I play with share my views-they
    > > want speed, nothing more. And so NOT doing what would help the party
    > > advance the quickest because you want your skels to get a few kills
    > > would be more selfish.
    >
    > Ahh, ok. For me party play is just having a bit of fun with a friend of two.
    > Anything else is either rushing, being rushed or leveling. I don't class
    > that as "party play" as such.
    >
    > Seems we are talking about different things.

    Clearly, you have the heart and soul of a Carl. We need to link up on
    B.net.

    Shari (Orchid)

    > Whitedog <email@email.com> wrote:
    >
    > What you're saying is that it's all about maximum power and efficiency
    > and everyone should adhere to that goal. I don't think that has to be
    > the case and for at least some players, myself included, it's not the
    > case. We just want to have fun and everyone should do what is fun for
    > them (within reasonable limits - like playing with the party when in the
    > party and not wandering off solo). Perhaps it's just the Carl in me
    > though.

    Thats more of what Jaako was saying than my post. I was more of trying to
    get to the point that everyone has to adjust to everyone else a little bit
    rather than play their game no matter what. As far as everything else I was
    trying to say, svh did a better job explaining it somewhere else in this
    thread than I ever could.

    Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    > "Whitedog" <email@email.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    > tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...
    >
    > >I hear you loud and clear. There was actually quite a bit of time that I
    > >simply refused to play with any necros. I agree with everything you stated,
    > >but one thing that also bothers me is what I call pussy necros. All they do
    > >is hide behind their minions and do nothing. How can anyone build a necro
    > >and not use CE?
    >
    > I know! That's what a summoning druid is for anyway. :-)
    >
    > Other things that make me cringe are:
    >
    > Sorceresses that never EVER use static field, not even on high HP targets like
    > act bosses.

    What's a static field? ;-)

    > Barbarians that cry so infrequently that their BO/Shout/Battle Command is
    > regularly wearing off team mates.

    I have just the opposite problem on this. I'm doing battle orders every
    30 seconds for fear it will run out and my compatriots will have to take
    potions to compensate. And, shouting anything is cool. Way cool.
    However, it can lag players on slower machines.

    > Barbarians that never use Taunt and Battle Cry, some of the most useful one
    > pointers in the game.

    It's against the code of the Carl not to use taunt. Taunt and leap or
    leap attack...and you have to put at least a point into grim ward even
    if you don't use it.

    > War Cry, Howl (mostly because this one bothers some
    > people used to playing a certain way), Grim Ward, etc I consider hugely
    > stylistic options in SC, but Taunt and Battle Cry are so useful and not off
    > the beaten path on the skill trees.
    >
    > Paladins that frequently let their holy shield wear off.

    Well, I can see what the others bother you but letting HS wear off only
    affects the player who is playing the paladin, doesn't it?

    Shari (Orchid)

    "Orchid" <poza@REMOVETHISHEREgol.com> wrote in message
    > I have just the opposite problem on this. I'm doing battle orders every
    > 30 seconds for fear it will run out

    I'm the same way, when I'm running barbs or one of my CtA users in a party I
    cast it constantly unless someone else is in the game with a higher level
    BO. My paladins likewise cast Holy Shield every 30 seconds or so.

    "Orchid" <poza@REMOVETHISHEREgol.com> wrote in message

    >> Barbarians that cry so infrequently that their BO/Shout/Battle Command is
    >> regularly wearing off team mates.
    >
    > I have just the opposite problem on this. I'm doing battle orders every
    > 30 seconds for fear it will run out and my compatriots will have to take
    > potions to compensate.

    Since the last ladder the life ball is now full as soon as a barb cast BO.
    There is no more need to drink potions and also a lower BO as no effect on a
    higher level one.

    VD

    "Virtual Den" <Nospam@Nospam.com> wrote in message
    > and also a lower BO as no effect on a higher level one.

    You are wrong, sorry. A lower level AURA no longer has any effect if there
    is a higher level one on(ie, if there's 2 hammerdins in a game, 1 with lvl
    32 Conc, and 1 with lvl 30 Conc, the auras will not alternate like they used
    to, you will always get the effects of the lvl 32 aura), but lower level BO
    most certainly DOES overwrite a higher level one.

    > VD

    ~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz> wrote:

    > Orchid wrote:
    > > ~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz> wrote:

    > >> Ahh, ok. For me party play is just having a bit of fun with a friend
    > >> of two. Anything else is either rushing, being rushed or leveling. I
    > >> don't class that as "party play" as such.
    > >>
    > >> Seems we are talking about different things.
    > >
    > > Clearly, you have the heart and soul of a Carl. We need to link up on
    > > B.net.
    >
    > Thanks.:-)
    >
    > What's a Carl?

    It's someone who is in the game for the sense of fun more than anything
    else. Essentially, we're goofs and not quite right in the head.

    There's a long and boring story about the derivation of the name but
    trust me when I say being a Carl is more enjoyable than knowing how the
    naming convention came to be.

    > I'd like to hook up sometime for a game once I get my 'party-friendly'
    > characters equiped. US Wset Ladder right?

    I'll try to locate you online some time. Unfortunately, time zone
    differences are going to make it tough for awhile but I'll be searching
    for your account name(s).

    Shari (Orchid)

    "Virtual Den" <Nospam@Nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Orchid" <poza@REMOVETHISHEREgol.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> Barbarians that cry so infrequently that their BO/Shout/Battle Command
    is
    > >> regularly wearing off team mates.
    > >
    > > I have just the opposite problem on this. I'm doing battle orders every
    > > 30 seconds for fear it will run out and my compatriots will have to take
    > > potions to compensate.
    >
    > Since the last ladder the life ball is now full as soon as a barb cast BO.
    > There is no more need to drink potions and also a lower BO as no effect on
    > higher level one.

    Since when can't you override someone's BO?

    > "Virtual Den" <Nospam@Nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Orchid" <poza@REMOVETHISHEREgol.com> wrote in message

    > is
    >> >
    >> > I have just the opposite problem on this. I'm doing battle orders every
    >> > 30 seconds for fear it will run out and my compatriots will have to
    >> > take
    >> > potions to compensate.
    >>
    >> Since the last ladder the life ball is now full as soon as a barb cast
    >> BO.
    >> There is no more need to drink potions and also a lower BO as no effect
    >> on
    >> higher level one.
    >
    > Since when can't you override someone's BO?

    I can not say since when but it was in the previous ladder. Yes it was a
    welcome fix from Blizz.

    > I can not say since when but it was in the previous ladder. Yes it was a
    > welcome fix from Blizz.

    Sorry, but you ARE mistaken. BO is not fixed-a lower level one WILL
    overwrite a higher level one. It was that way in the previous ladder and it
    still is. They fixed Aura overwriting, NOT BO overwriting.

    "Shiflet" <rshiflet@charter.net> wrote in message

    > "Virtual Den" <Nospam@Nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I can not say since when but it was in the previous ladder. Yes it was a
    >> welcome fix from Blizz.
    >
    > Sorry, but you ARE mistaken. BO is not fixed-a lower level one WILL
    > overwrite a higher level one. It was that way in the previous ladder and
    > it
    > still is. They fixed Aura overwriting, NOT BO overwriting.

    I was the only barb in our group and I did not play many public hell games
    but something may have misleaded me. I assume you must have a barb so cast
    Battle Command then BO and Shout. When the Battle Command wears off, cast BO
    and Shout again and your life and defense will stay the same. Now if two of
    you say that it is overwritten by another barb, it must be true. I do not
    play off ladder so my Barb is deleted and I can not test this. If you do
    test this, report your result please.

    > I was the only barb in our group and I did not play many public hell games
    > but something may have misleaded me. I assume you must have a barb so cast
    > Battle Command then BO and Shout. When the Battle Command wears off, cast
    BO
    > and Shout again and your life and defense will stay the same. Now if two
    of
    > you say that it is overwritten by another barb, it must be true. I do not
    > play off ladder so my Barb is deleted and I can not test this. If you do
    > test this, report your result please.

    Tested and confirmed-first cast with lvl 43 BO, second cast with lvl 41.
    Life went down with second cast.

    "chaliban" <chaliban@hotmail.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >royls@telus.net wrote:
    >> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:45:18 +1200, Stephen van Ham
    >> <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >> >Other things that make me cringe are:
    >> >
    >> >Sorceresses that never EVER use static field, not even on high HP targets like
    >> >act bosses.
    >>
    >> I agree this is ridiculous and incomprehensible. Even if your points
    >> are so _precioussss_ that you can't spare one (1) for Static, at least
    >> buy a freakin' staff with +3 Static on it and keep it on switch for
    >> high-hp bosses.

    >Well, unless they were making a true one tree build. I met a guy like
    >this. No Warmth, Static or Teleport. Not sure if "impressive" is the
    >word.

    Absolutely. The kind of things I was talking about earlier are, in many
    cases, simple ignorance of some of the basic aspects of the game. If people
    exclude certain skills by choice, well, that's an ENIIRELY different matter,
    as we've always discussed elsewhere. :-)

    If push came to shove, I could certainly do without Static and Teleport on a
    sorceress. I'm not sure I could do without Warmth, though. Teleport I'd
    actually miss more than Static, as Teleport is a great counter for connection
    desync as it relates the positioning of a mercenary. Static simply allows me
    to kill certain bosses in half the time (I'm refering to hell, here).

    Regarding Warmth, did the fellow's build "variant" prohibit the use of the
    "Insight" rune word?

    --
    USWest SCL: 82 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell down
    the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >Thanks.:-)
    >
    >What's a Carl?

    It's kind of a cross between a very aloof cat, and a goldfish.

    --

    > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell
    down
    > the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...
    >
    > >Thanks.:-)
    > >
    > >What's a Carl?
    >
    > It's kind of a cross between a very aloof cat, and a goldfish.

    I thought that was you? :)

    > Just out of curiousity, are you sure it's possible to over-shout with a
    > lower level BO?

    Yep. I can show you with my summoner if you know when you'll be online. I'll
    cast BO with Spirit on, then replace the Spirit with a Splendor for 1 level
    less BO, cast it again, and you can see the life ball go down.

    > --
    > ~misfit~

    "Whitedog" <email@email.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahooters.co.nz>, in a display of leetness, fell
    >down
    >> the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...
    >>
    >> >Thanks.:-)
    >> >
    >> >What's a Carl?
    >>
    >> It's kind of a cross between a very aloof cat, and a goldfish.
    >
    >I thought that was you? :)

    Yeah!

    I mean, no!

    --
    USWest SCL: 82 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    poza@REMOVETHISHEREgol.com (Orchid), in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >What's a static field? ;-)

    It's when you rub your shoes together too hard? Or, ummm, is it that plastic
    stuff that you can wrap around things?

    >> Barbarians that cry so infrequently that their BO/Shout/Battle Command is
    >> regularly wearing off team mates.

    >I have just the opposite problem on this. I'm doing battle orders every
    >30 seconds for fear it will run out and my compatriots will have to take
    >potions to compensate. And, shouting anything is cool. Way cool.
    >However, it can lag players on slower machines.

    Can it? Good to know. I'm what you'd call a "frequent barker" too.

    >> Barbarians that never use Taunt and Battle Cry, some of the most useful one
    >> pointers in the game.
    >
    >It's against the code of the Carl not to use taunt. Taunt and leap or
    >leap attack...and you have to put at least a point into grim ward even
    >if you don't use it.

    Leap Attack is HANDS DOWN, the best skill in the game. Even better than
    corpse explosion. :-)

    >> War Cry, Howl (mostly because this one bothers some
    >> people used to playing a certain way), Grim Ward, etc I consider hugely
    >> stylistic options in SC, but Taunt and Battle Cry are so useful and not off
    >> the beaten path on the skill trees.
    >>
    >> Paladins that frequently let their holy shield wear off.
    >
    >Well, I can see what the others bother you but letting HS wear off only
    >affects the player who is playing the paladin, doesn't it?

    I said it makes me cringe (in the sense of, "whatever was that paladin
    thinking?"), not that it bothers me or effects me personally. Well, it CAN,
    in the sense that said paladin might die, thus leaving the monsters to focus
    on myself and el merco. ;-)

    --

    > poza@REMOVETHISHEREgol.com (Orchid), in a display of leetness, fell down
    the
    > stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...
    >
    > >What's a static field? ;-)
    >
    > It's when you rub your shoes together too hard? Or, ummm, is it that
    plastic
    > stuff that you can wrap around things?

    Speaking of static, did anyone hear about that guy that build up a static
    charge so strong he set a carpet on fire?

    "Whitedog" <email@email.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> Barbarians that never use Taunt and Battle Cry, some of the most useful
    >one
    >> pointers in the game. War Cry, Howl (mostly because this one bothers some
    >> people used to playing a certain way)

    >Howl is great, is the person it annoyed even around anymore? :)

    He left a while ago. ;-)

    My latest barby has about 6 hard points there (in howl), and Jabber is going
    to max it, so it's going to be chaos out there!

    --

    Shiflet wrote:
    > <royls@telus.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > I agree this is ridiculous and incomprehensible. Even if your points
    > > are so _precioussss_ that you can't spare one (1) for Static, at least
    > > buy a freakin' staff with +3 Static on it and keep it on switch for
    > > high-hp bosses.
    >
    > Some sorcs prefer to keep other items on switch. A CtA or a Lower Resist
    > wand instead.
    >
    > > >Barbarians that cry so infrequently that their BO/Shout/Battle Command is
    > > >regularly wearing off team mates.
    > >
    > > Only thing worse: Barbs with level 1 BO who overwrite another barb's
    > > level 30 BO every chance they get...
    >
    > I had a barb doing that the other day. My summoner has lvl 15 BO, and a barb
    > with lvl 10 BO kept BOing IMMEDIATELY after I would.
    >
    > > Zons who don't deploy Decoys, sins who don't use Cloak or MB, etc.
    >
    > You get mad at sins who don't use cloak, where I HATE playing with sins that
    > DO use cloak. That skill annoys the absolute hell out of me, I despise it,
    > seriously.And many times in games I've seen many other people ask assassins
    > to NOT use cloak, so it's NOT just me who hate it(and sometimes I've even
    > seen them tell her to unsummon her shadow so that IT doesn't use cloak. I
    > won't ask her to unsummon, but I WILL request one not to use it themselves
    > if I'm playing with them).

    I don't mind if they use it, unless I am there with my necro. In that
    case, I can accomplish the same thing with my DV and NOT blind players
    as well. My attitude towards skills is that every char has the right to
    use any skill they have if that is the way they play. I also would
    never complain if a necro showed up with 90 minions in tow. If it lags
    me, then either I need a better machine, a better connection, or both.

    Mickey

    "Whitedog" <email@email.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >Speaking of static, did anyone hear about that guy that build up a static
    >charge so strong he set a carpet on fire?

    Oooh, did he have Infernostrides on?

    --
    USWest SCL: 82 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

Video Games